Is This The Greatest Football Magazine Cover Ever? - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Is This The Greatest Football Magazine Cover Ever?

the Sunnylaw Jag

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great pics.....keep em coming

I have ran out of covers with players in Scotland colours but there's a few more of great Scottish players in their club colours I can put up. The first is someone instantly recognisable but maybe not the moustache. I'm sure Davie Whyte was in charge of Rangers at this time as it was apparently one Willie Waddell's first orders for Jim Baxter to stop thinking he was a Mexican bandit and shave.

2m43z87.jpg

One of my all time favourite Scottish players Tommy Hutchison. I just loved the idea of this six foot winger, when convention tells us that wingers are wee guys like Jimmy Johnstone and Willie Henderson. Tommy played over 900 league games in Scotland, England and Wales as well as stints in Hong Kong and the U.S.. Also remembered for scoring both goals in the FA Cup Final but unfortunately one was for the wrong team. Tommy retired at the age of 46 from football.2s81qva.jpg

Like the Hampden one, this also featured in the Scotland Epistles Magazine. It is a cracker as well, taken after Scotland beat England in 1963. Scotland played most of the game with ten men after Eric Caldow was stretchered off with a broken leg after six minutes. Both Scotland goals came from Jim Baxter.

m9r2vd.jpg

It's the anniversary of this game and on the Epistles Facebook page there is a short note on the game as well as a picture of the programme from that day. Don't forget to buy the magazine for more gems.

https://www.facebook.com/scotlandepistles?ref=ts&fref=ts

In pantheon of great Scotland players, this guys not really up there. 20 caps and 1 goal in total. So what makes him so special. He won two European Cups with Notts Forest and also the Football Writers Player of the Year for the 1977-78. In this photo he's a Birmingham City player and is playing as a striker but it as a central defender he is best remembered. I give you Kenny Burns

xas0ls.jpg

Colin Stein and then Motherwell player Tom Forsyth. Tom looks as though he's had a rough night of it on the Friday. Colin Stein won 21 caps and Tom 22. It's almost forty years to the day that Tom captained Scotland for the one and only time in a one nil win over Switzerland at Hampden, April 7th 1976 with debutant Willie Pettigrew scoring the only goal. Alan Rough and Frank Gray also won their first caps that night but making their only Scotland appearances that night were Rangers' Alex MacDonald, Bobby McKean, Newcastle's Tommy Craig and Hibs player Des Bremner.

Don't forget boring facts like these can be found on the Scotland Epistles Facebook on an almost daily basis

rud5d1.jpg

This one's not actually mine and I only have a small copy of it but it is a great cover and can be seen fully on the Facebook page with a small article on John Greig too.

wweqzn.jpg

There's a suggestion in a posted comment that John is stretching every sinew in an effort to win the ball but he's more likely stretching every sinew to insure that Martin Peters doesn't get it. And yes it is autographed.

https://www.facebook.com/scotlandepistles?fref=ts

Here's one of a guy who reached 50 caps for Scotland in a ten year period from games against Peru in '72 to Brazil in '82. Asa played at the highest level in England with West Brom, Man City and Everton. Although there was the aberration that was his Notts Forest career lasting three games and the Leeds United hole in the heart farce. The photo is from the England game at Hampden which we lost one nil and I refuse to name the scorer, as I hate that wee ginger nutted toerag. Denis Law is in the background and the English player looks like Roy McFarland Look out for a cracking photo of Eddie McCreadie from Goal magazine on the Scotland Epistles Facebook page tomorrow.

2gv8w7t.jpg

In pantheon of great Scotland players, this guys not really up there. 20 caps and 1 goal in total. So what makes him so special. He won two European Cups with Notts Forest and also the Football Writers Player of the Year for the 1977-78. In this photo he's a Birmingham City player and is playing as a striker but it as a central defender he is best remembered. I give you Kenny Burns

xas0ls.jpg

Who's the guy chasing Kenny Burns btw, any idea? I see him as a future baldy manager, was tearing my hair out trying to get it....

Here's one of a guy who reached 50 caps for Scotland in a ten year period from games against Peru in '72 to Brazil in '82. Asa played at the highest level in England with West Brom, Man City and Everton. Although there was the aberration that was his Notts Forest career lasting three games and the Leeds United hole in the heart farce. The photo is from the England game at Hampden which we lost one nil and I refuse to name the scorer, as I hate that wee ginger nutted toerag. Denis Law is in the background and the English player looks like Roy McFarland Look out for a cracking photo of Eddie McCreadie from Goal magazine on the Scotland Epistles Facebook page tomorrow.

2gv8w7t.jpg

Aye, defo Roy McFarland. Could be wee Jinky in the background or Bremner? Ginger anyway.