Republic Of Ireland V Poland - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Republic Of Ireland V Poland

Geed

Whats everyone wanting he, ahh think a draw be a great result for Scotland but few folk i know reckon a Poland win be good

Recent results between 2 sides prove game be very close

November 2013: Poland 0-0 Rep of Ireland - friendly

February 2013: Rep of Ireland 2-0 Poland - friendly

November 2008: Rep of Ireland 2-3 Poland

April 2004: Rep of Ireland 0-0 Poland

November 1991: Poland 3-3 Rep of Ireland

May 1991: Rep of Ireland 0-0 Poland

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say a Poland win then if we beat the Irish in June that would be them just about out of the running. Secure a playoff spot ASAP then look to 1st & 2nd from there!

Nerves wouldn't be able to handle going into last few games with all top 4 teams in with a good shout of qualification.

I would say a Poland win then if we beat the Irish in June that would be them just about out of the running. Secure a playoff spot ASAP then look to 1st & 2nd from there!

Nerves wouldn't be able to handle going into last few games with all top 4 teams in with a good shout of qualification.

Poland win, and we go to Dublin with the group looking like,

Poland 13

Germany 10

Scotland 10

Ireland 7

Win in Dublin and we go 6 points clear with us and Ireland having effectively the same home run stretch.... ie they have Germany H and Poland A, while we have Germany and Poland both at Hampden..... we both have Gibraltar to play, so really Ireland would need to pick up another good result against Germany, or go to Warsaw and need to win.

I think as long as we win in Dublin and avoid defeat in Tbilisi, 3rd place will be our's.... just a case of will Germany get out of first gear, or will Poland start to fall for our chance of getting 2nd place.

A draw. Don't want the Poles getting to many points on the board and if we could follow that draw in June with a draw or better the Irish will be toiling.

Looking at the remaining fixtures, I suspect it'll come down to us v Poland in October for 2nd spot.

I think a draw is probably the best result as it leaves options open for us to finish higher than third. A Poland win would be second most preferential result as it would really be a dagger blow to Ireland's hopes and leaves us in a good position to claim third (at worst). A win for Ireland is the least helpful result to us. It would really be a big boost to Ireland and give them real momentum for their match against us in Dublin although it wouldn't be all bad as it would perhaps bring Poland right back within our reach.

Whats everyone wanting he, ahh think a draw be a great result for Scotland but few folk i know reckon a Poland win be good

Recent results between 2 sides prove game be very close

November 2013: Poland 0-0 Rep of Ireland - friendly

February 2013: Rep of Ireland 2-0 Poland - friendly

Would not look to much into Friendly results.... game in March last year left thinking "nothing to fear from this mob!"..... come the qualifier, they really should have won the game in the last 20 minutes or so (and by more than a goal........).

Would not look to much into Friendly results.... game in March last year left thinking "nothing to fear from this mob!"..... come the qualifier, they really should have won the game in the last 20 minutes or so (and by more than a goal........).

Swings and roundabouts mate. Maloney tucks that chance away and we deservedly go 3-1 ahead. As it was we both had spells in the game and a draw was fair

I'm not too bothered but I think a draw would be the best result.

A Poland win would make a top 2 finish trickier but would give us a great chance of being 3rd.

An Ireland win makes it easier to finish in the top 2 but also keeps 4th as a possibility.

The reality is, we need to beat Gibraltar twice, Georgia & Ireland away and get a result in one of the games against Poland or Germany and we should be top 2 without worrying about results elsewhere.

Edited by PASTA Mick

At the moment I would say the most realistic position for us to finish in would be 3rd. I have run through possible/likely results scenario of games we, Poland and Ireland have left.

First of all Ireland:- I can see both of their matches V Poland ending in draws, the match against us being a draw, them winning against Georgia and Gibraltar and drawing at home to Germany.

Poland:- As I said I see both games V Ireland ending in draws, I see them beating Gibraltsr and Georgia, losing at Hampden against us and drawing against Germany.

As for us:- Two wins against Gibraltar, s draw in Dublin, a win at home to Poland, a draw in Georgia and a loss at home to Germany.

Those sets of results (I am presuming Germany will win the group - a bit prematue I know) would see the table finish like this:-

1st Germany

2nd Poland 19 points

3rd Scotland 18 points

4th Ireland 17 points

All speculation I know but certainly a plausible set of results.

At the moment I would say the most realistic position for us to finish in would be 3rd. I have run through possible/likely results scenario of games we, Poland and Ireland have left.

First of all Ireland:- I can see both of their matches V Poland ending in draws, the match against us being a draw, them winning against Georgia and Gibraltar and drawing at home to Germany.

Poland:- As I said I see both games V Ireland ending in draws, I see them beating Gibraltsr and Georgia, losing at Hampden against us and drawing against Germany.

As for us:- Two wins against Gibraltar, s draw in Dublin, a win at home to Poland, a draw in Georgia and a loss at home to Germany.

Those sets of results (I am presuming Germany will win the group - a bit prematue I know) would see the table finish like this:-

1st Germany

2nd Poland 19 points

3rd Scotland 18 points

4th Ireland 17 points

All speculation I know but certainly a plausible set of results.

No way to predict the group, every team is capable of taking points. There are no 'likely' results

No way to predict the group, every team is capable of taking points. There are no 'likely' results

Well even if you do not wish to predict results I would still say that 18 points will get us at least 3rd. I do not think it is mathematically possible to have more than three teams finish with more than 18 points.