Republic Of Ireland V Poland - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Republic Of Ireland V Poland

Geed

So many ups and downs to come for all 3 teams in this group yet to come

There are indeed but one thing I'd say is certain is we will end up on a mimimum of 13 points as we have seven just now and still have to play Gibraltar twice so that gives s a minimum of 13 points and leaves us five points to get from our remaining four games to reach that magic 18 point mark.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are indeed but one thing I'd say is certain is we will end up on a mimimum of 13 points as we have seven just now and still have to play Gibraltar twice so that gives s a minimum of 13 points and leaves us five points to get from our remaining four games to reach that magic 18 point mark.

CC - am i being thick here? I dont get how 18 points is the magic mark.

If Ireland beat Poland and Germany and us win as expected on sunday there will be four teams on 10 points at the half-way stage. That would dictate therefore that we could end up with up four teams on 20 points at the end of qualifying.

Are you really young? I can only assume you have never seen us struggle against so called weak opposition? Cyprus, Faeroe Islands, Liechtenstein.

Are you really young? I can only assume you have never seen us struggle against so called weak opposition? Cyprus, Faeroe Islands, Liechtenstein.

Your point?

If you are honestly crapping yourself about us not beating Gibraltar then you must really think Strachan is doing a rank job. Besides if we can't get six points against them we don't deserve to qualify - simples. So I say again we will finish with a minimum of 13 points in this group or do you think we won't reach that mark? In which case we are already out.

This Gibraltar team are a long way short of Cyprus, Faroe Islands or Liechtenstein at the times we struggled against those teams. And as far as the last two are concerned, this Scotland team is a long way beyond the state of our team at those times as well.

I am happy to sign up to Caledonian Craig's "6 points - easy" prediction. We are going to smash Gibraltar to little bits. I have never said that before about any team but I have no doubt or reservation about saying it now!

In fairness fellas....CTV is right. GIB are well off the pace of the likes of the faroes, Luxembourg and Cyprus and to a certain extent lichenstein.

Cyprus are no longer whipping boys and are dramatically improved over the last 6 years.....same applies to faroes whom i followed closely as former ireland manager brian kerr took over them a few years back and made huge progress with.

Cyprus are getting teams into the champions lge these days....apoel nicosia

Luxembourg are getting results against the likes of Italy and giving good games against higher ranked opposition in the last cpl of years.

GIB are only new in intl football and in a much lower rank to those nations.

I appreciate ye not wanting to think of beating them well before the games been played....but as a neutral, i will say...they wont pose ye any problems

PLUS....Scotland are a better side now than before!

Edited by Green_Tide_Rising

In fairness fellas....CTV is right. GIB are well off the pace of the likes of the faroes, Luxembourg and Cyprus and to a certain extent lichenstein.

Cyprus are no longer whipping boys and are dramatically improved over the last 6 years.....same applies to faroes whom i followed closely as former ireland manager brian kerr took over them a few years back and made huge progress with.

Luxembourg are getting results against the likes of Italy and giving good games against higher ranked opposition in the last cpl of years.

GIB are only new in intl football and in a much lower rank to those nations.

I appreciate ye not wanting to think of beating them well before the games been played....but as a neutral, i will say...they wont pose ye any problems

Spot on.

In any case if we cannot beat a team like Gibraltar we do not deserve to qualify. It really is as simple as that. The person who brought up past struggles against Cyprus, Luxembourg and Liechtenstein seems to conveniently forget that we had, at that time, poor team spirit, very low confidence and managers not up to the job in charge. All so very diifferent to today in every way.

I have a bad feeling before that game. Mainly because of that stupid dispute here about BÅ‚aszczykowski not beeing called up for that game. Journos and former players wanking about it instead of leaving this decission only for manager discretion and asking question about his choices after, not before the end of campaign. It might affect the atmosphere in the team and distract the guys from their preparation.

Hopefully is just a feeleing :) Not having Piszczek in the squad is a bit of a blow also. Other team problems i`m not too worry aboot at the moment.

It`s not a "must win" game for us. A draw would be a good score as well. But it`s definitely "must win" for boys in green. Draw is not enough for them, loosing that game could be an end of their qualification hopes (or very close to it).

Very important game ahead of both teams and possible "table shaper". Cannae wait :D

Spot on.

In any case if we cannot beat a team like Gibraltar we do not deserve to qualify. It really is as simple as that. The person who brought up past struggles against Cyprus, Luxembourg and Liechtenstein seems to conveniently forget that we had, at that time, poor team spirit, very low confidence and managers not up to the job in charge. All so very diifferent to today in every way.

Of course you are right that we should take 6 points off Gibraltar but we haven't done it yet. I just don't like young dafties putting the hoodoo on us before a ball is even kicked. We have enough problems scoring goals as it is without tempting fate by predicting big score lines. We don't have a good history of beating weak opposition easily. I just don't think we are genetically programmed to score loads of goals. :lol:

I don't know where you get your ideas from. Young? Nope I an nearly at my half century. Daftie? Why is it daft to expect six points from two games against a newly-formed team whose previous four matches have all ended in thrashings? I would describe it more as being realistic. As for jinxing? Eh? Just because I predict two wins? Many predicted us to beat Ireland (far less certain) and we did so it kind of blows this jinx theory out of the window.

I don't know where you get your ideas from. Young? Nope I an nearly at my half century. Daftie? Why is it daft to expect six points from two games against a newly-formed team whose previous four matches have all ended in thrashings? I would describe it more as being realistic. As for jinxing? Eh? Just because I predict two wins? Many predicted us to beat Ireland (far less certain) and we did so it kind of blows this jinx theory out of the window.

Nearly half century, on this board that means you are a young daftie

If Germany slip up in Georgia I think we would want a Poland win instead of a draw. This would also have the knock on effect of making Dublin tickets more readily available.

Not only will Germany not slip up, I have a feeling they'll steam roll their way through the remaining games, and it's as it were. 3 teams fighting for 2nd automatic spot and 1 playoff.

For you guys sake, hopefully you banished any Craig Levein effects, cause I see that Georgia game being a banana skin for you.

Not only will Germany not slip up, I have a feeling they'll steam roll their way through the remaining games, and it's as it were. 3 teams fighting for 2nd automatic spot and 1 playoff.

For you guys sake, hopefully you banished any Craig Levein effects, cause I see that Georgia game being a banana skin for you.

Georgia may be a banana skin for us but I wouldn't say it would have anything to do with the Craig Levein effect as we are winning games we wouldn't have won under Levein or drawing games we would have lost.

If Germany slip up in Georgia I think we would want a Poland win instead of a draw. This would also have the knock on effect of making Dublin tickets more readily available.

If Germany were to slip up and I hope they do but can't see it UEFA would be rolling out their favourite refs to ensure every decision goes their way And they qualify.

Edited by Jagtag

Great buzz about for the game on Sunday. Fai have put in some work to help enhance the atmosphere (1st time for everything) and a lot of people are confident we can get the result. We were very poor against Scotland was obvious we were setup to not lose that game and a draw be good result (not opinion of most fans)

Poland have several 1st team players out for this game and honestly do fancy us to go out an attack them from the start and take the 3 points (might regret this comment come Sunday night) if we get the 3 points really sets up a massive game in June against Scotland

Bit harsh that on long and Walters. Long would make our squad no bother, always found him impressive and great in the air for his height.

I'd also have both Long and also Walters in our squad ! They don't seem to have been put under this weird hex that Steven Fletcher has.

Would gladly have Clark, Wilson and Keogh for our defence too.