The Official Is Matt Ritchie Good Enough Thread. - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Official Is Matt Ritchie Good Enough Thread.

JagDude

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed. Picking him but then not giving him game time tonight was odd, unless Strachan never intended to play him in either game

Strachan did make comments that suggested he was one of the "brought along to have a look at" players.

I know it's only Gibraltar but I'd still play our strongest 11 and top 3 subs. Forrest doesn't fit into that equation (and neither does Ritchie)

Looked murder to me. As I said in the other thread, if a pro fitba' player can't put a corner into the box then he should give up. It was Berra's nice attack that got the goal, not a basic ball into a box. I know it was Ritchie's first game and he may improve granted, but in my eyes he has to improve a heck of a lot.

Looked murder to me. As I said in the other thread, if a pro fitba' player can't put a corner into the box then he should give up. It was Berra's nice attack that got the goal, not a basic ball into a box. I know it was Ritchie's first game and he may improve granted, but in my eyes he has to improve a heck of a lot.

Exactly we have an abundance of players that can put decent deliveries into the box. Adam, Armstrong, Maloney (sometimes), Mulgrew, Bannan...to name a few.

What game were you watching?

He was constantly moving, trying to create space, ran at their defence, wasn't scared to have a dig.

I've got to totally agree. I do wonder, sometimes, if some of the people posting on here have ever actually played the game.

Let's look at this - It was his first game, so he would be nervous, as anybody would be. However, he looked lively, and every time he played a ball, he made a burst to get into space, to get it back again. He was keen to get involved (unlike some players tonight) and looked eager to get a shot in, albeit unsuccessfully tonight. Definetely worth another run out.

I just find it amazing that people are slagging him off, whilst praising Steven Fletcher, our leading the line striker who has not scored a goal in how many games ??? Beggars belief ! Possibly just being biased because, in some people's eyes, he's English and should't be there. By being there, he's made a declaration that he wants to play for Scotland, and that's good enough for me !

Richie did alright.

Wouldn't judge anyone off the back of 1 friendly.

True. There were no stand outs tonight, so unfair to single him out.

However, he does have very good players competing with him for that position. Maloney normally plays there and will deservedly get his place back. Snodgrass will be straight in front of him in the pecking order when he's fit. GMS is absolutely flying at Celtic right now and seems only a matter of time before he is heavily involved in the set up. (Plus a number of others like Burke, Forrest, Philips, Armstrong etc)

So, do we really need Ritchie? Probably not. Chris Martin is in a similar boat but he has been given plenty of chances because we have been light in quality up front. I'm not sure Ritchie will be allowed the same amount of chances with so many other options ahead of him

Edited by Tartan blood

Of course, we've all seen worse. Of that there is no doubt. I just don't think he's better than players playing in Scotland who never got picked.

If you normally judge players on one game fair enough...I dont

Give the lad a chance I've seen worse

And it's his first game. I thought he was okay, didn't give the ball away and tried to burst forward at the right times. his set pieces could be vital without Mulgrew and Snodgrass.

Chris Martin is in a similar boat but he has been given plenty of chances because we have been light in quality up front.

You're talking absolute pish. Really annoys me when idiots spout this sort of nonsense. 5 caps and 3 of them were as a late sub. In reality he had one half against England where nobody stood out and he had little service.

Fletcher has 1 goal in 18 games, I'd say that's more a case of been given plenty of chances. I still think Fletcher offers more than goals but should be scoring more. Martin on the other hand hasn't really been given a chance at all.

Edit to say, Martin has had a half v Nigeria, half v England, 20 minutes v Ireland, 30 v Poland and 1 minute v Georgia. Plenty of chances?

Edited by Jagtag

You're talking absolute pish. Really annoys me when idiots spout this sort of nonsense. 5 caps and 3 of them were as a late sub. In reality he had one game against England where nobody stood out and he had little service.

Fletcher has 1 goal in 18 games, I'd say that's more a case of been given plenty of chances. I still think Fletcher offers more than goals but should be scoring more. Martin on the other hand hasn't really been given a chance at all.

He's been rotten in the games against Poland and Ireland off the bench. Looks knackered after 5 mins; can't hold the ball up, falls a lot, can't press the defence. Struggle to think of anything he offers at international level on the brief time he's had.

Maybe I'm being overly harsh but Richie, Russell and May in their brief appearances have at least shown something to earn other call ups

You're talking absolute pish. Really annoys me when idiots spout this sort of nonsense. 5 caps and 3 of them were as a late sub. In reality he had one game against England where nobody stood out and he had little service.

Neither are scoring goals for Scotland, hence giving Martin the opportunities. Fletcher is clearly a better footballer but we really need a goalscorer. I can't see that being Martin.

But anyway I was only using him as a comparison to Ritchie, who may not get any more caps because we have more effective players, playing at a higher level, than him.

I'm not writing him off, but do we really need him?

He's been rotten in the games against Poland and Ireland off the bench. Looks knackered after 5 mins; can't hold the ball up, falls a lot, can't press the defence. Struggle to think of anything he offers at international level on the brief time he's had.

against Ireland he held the ball up well, ran the channels to receive it and won a few free kicks to help run the clock down. At 1-0 up and such an important and tense game that is exactly what we needed.