The Official Is Matt Ritchie Good Enough Thread. - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Official Is Matt Ritchie Good Enough Thread.

JagDude

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He was more willing than able.

He went backwards far too often and didn't get past his man enough for me. Decent set-piece delivery but I'm not convinced he adds enough to be starting qualifiers.

I simply couldn't see him making an impact against someone like Poland.

I must be the same cause i agree with parklife! was worth a chance though and maybe another friendly game and we will see.

Add another to that list. Didn't really know anything about the lad and I thought he was one of our better players on the night however it doesn't detract from the fact the he shouldn't be in the squad.

We're no starting this ' he's no Scottish ' crap again are we ?

The rules haven't changed to if you've never visited the place then you can't be has it ?

If only Messi etc had a Scottish Granny, would love to see people quote the same.

We're no starting this ' he's no Scottish ' crap again are we ?

The rules haven't changed to if you've never visited the place then you can't be has it ?

If only Messi etc had a Scottish Granny, would love to see people quote the same.

I'd love us to use the fifa rules to dramatically improve our side. We have 5 or 6 Richie's already.

ParisInAKilt, on 26 Mar 2015 - 07:52 AM, said:

I'd love us to use the fifa rules to dramatically improve our side.

I wouldn't. I want a team which represents me, not the best team at any cost. If i wanted that i'd just support Germany.

He got better when he switched with Naismith in the last 15 minutes to be more central, let him provide some goal bound drive lacking last night in general. And he provided excellent corner delivery something that has been woeful from Maloney for some time. Not my first pick. But worth a space on the bench/Sub. Wouldn't play Naismith out of position so he can play better.

Edited by Tartan_Wolf

For me it was an ok debut. He did nothing particularly wrong, kept possession which was clearly something the whole team was trying to do, we (collectively) passed up so many opportunities for a riskier ball to create something and instead played it safe, Ritchie was no different to the rest in that regard.

His deliveries were consistently good (unlike maloney. did someone mention adam's set pieces? gi'e us peace!) and he got better as the game went on. Started to link up with Naismith a little, got some shots away. So that shows a bit of potential, and he got the assist for the goal that wont he game, so that's a plus mark for sure.

It's also worth mentioning that Whittaker was behind him and was absolute rank. With Ritchie stepping inside a little and Hutton overlapping there's definite potential for creating chances and hurting teams. With Whittaker strolling around, giving the ball away, life's a little harder. There's a reason most of our play went down the left to Anya, and Matt Ritchie wasn't that reason.

I'd go with him again on Sunday. His set pieces will hurt most teams and he seemed to be getting into his stride more by the end after a cautious start.

Debut rule #1 don't f up.. and he didn't.. instead he helped us win the game.

For me it was an ok debut. He did nothing particularly wrong, kept possession which was clearly something the whole team was trying to do, we (collectively) passed up so many opportunities for a riskier ball to create something and instead played it safe, Ritchie was no different to the rest in that regard.

His deliveries were consistently good (unlike maloney. did someone mention adam's set pieces? gi'e us peace!) and he got better as the game went on. Started to link up with Naismith a little, got some shots away. So that shows a bit of potential, and he got the assist for the goal that wont he game, so that's a plus mark for sure.

It's also worth mentioning that Whittaker was behind him and was absolute rank. With Ritchie stepping inside a little and Hutton overlapping there's definite potential for creating chances and hurting teams. With Whittaker strolling around, giving the ball away, life's a little harder. There's a reason most of our play went down the left to Anya, and Matt Ritchie wasn't that reason.

I'd go with him again on Sunday. His set pieces will hurt most teams and he seemed to be getting into his stride more by the end after a cautious start.

Debut rule #1 don't f up.. and he didn't.. instead he helped us win the game.

It was me that mentioned Adam. Firstly, I was in NO WAY suggesting he should be called up. In fact, I wouldn't even pick him for a B team.

My point was that he is capable of putting a decent delivery into the box, as are many others. Bannan, for example, has got a cracking delivery. So if that is all that Ritchie brings to the table, then he isn't worth including.

But I'm certainly not writing anyone off after 1 performance. However, I do think there are too many better options that should be in front of him

Edited by Tartan blood

It seems apparent here that people are using one match for their own agenda. Those that never wanted him called up are doing their utmost to paint this as bad a performance as possible and crank up pressure for him not to be called up again. It is funny because players like Mackay-Steven that people wanted in would have been lauded for putting in a display exactly like his. The praise would have gushed that it was a wonderful cross to set up the goal, bright spot of the match etc etc etc. Sure Ritchie was not brilliant but he was no worse than other players who have been first team regulars for us so where is all the calls for them to never get another chance? That is all.

It seems apparent here that people are using one match for their own agenda. Those that never wanted him called up are doing their utmost to paint this as bad a performance as possible and crank up pressure for him not to be called up again. It is funny because players like Mackay-Steven that people wanted in would have been lauded for putting in a display exactly like his. The praise would have gushed that it was a wonderful cross to set up the goal, bright spot of the match etc etc etc. Sure Ritchie was not brilliant but he was no worse than other players who have been first team regulars for us so where is all the calls for them to never get another chance? That is all.

I don't want him called up but acknowledged he had a decent game, especially as it progressed.

I don't see Richie as the reason GMS wasn't called up and his chance will come very soon.

Richie's did enough to get another chance, although I doubt he'll be a long term option.

I don't want him called up but acknowledged he had a decent game, especially as it progressed.

I don't see Richie as the reason GMS wasn't called up and his chance will come very soon.

Richie's did enough to get another chance, although I doubt he'll be a long term option.

Fair enough. I am not sure whether he will really be a feature either in the future but at least he made a contribution. I have sat through other players debuts in the past that have been far worse. I think last night's lethargy was across the team so to single out a debutant for criticism is unfair (not you ParisInAKilt).