Darren Fletcher - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Darren Fletcher

ScotlandFanMuir

Yeah could be spot on with that one thinking about it.

I know it wouldnt happen but anyone think a 3.5.2 would work a bit bitter on Sunday? Just a thought.

If theres any game that we'll try a different formation this is it.

Think it will be a back 4 but with Robertson and Hutton as far forward as we've seen.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If theres any game that we'll try a different formation this is it.

Think it will be a back 4 but with Robertson and Hutton as far forward as we've seen.

Yeah agree that it will be a back 4 just a wee thought that we could have changed it up a bit.

I thought Fletcher did well, he's not there to attack and the 2 midfielders we played last night won't play on Sunday. I'd imagine Broony will be the only holding type midfielder against Gibraltar with more attacking options on the field, so doubt Fletcher will start.

As an aside I have enjoyed Mulgrew in beside Brown in recent games, offers much more than the likes of McArthur who seemed to lose the ball / give it away cheaply an awful lot for a holding type midfielder.

That was one thing we missed last night was Robertson and Hutton making bursting runs forward..... Forsyth put himself about alright, but only really recall one burst forward from Whitaker.... Forsyth could be very useful to have around the squad, but Hutton and Robertson both have those spots clearly tied down.

allyc, on 26 Mar 2015 - 09:48 AM, said:

For man utd that was his job..

No, that is his game. It's what he does. You all of a sudden expecting something different is like expecting Maloney to be a ball winner or Steven Fletcher to be a penalty box poacher.

I opened this thread thinking it would be talking about how good he is and how he strolled through the match last night.

Some folk are clueless. Fletcher was easily our best player. I love the Fletcher turn.

OMG - I agree with Myopic Mick!!

Calling people clueless then insisting Fletcher was our best player last night is pretty ironic.

I think Fletcher was good last night. He did exactly what he is in the team to do. I think people suggesting that ther was lack of penetration and looking at Fletcher don't get his role in the team or the type of player he is. Not sure anyone did what they are meant to do any better than Fletcher last night.

I really don't see it. I think Brown/Mulgrew is our best central midfield pairing.

I rate Fletcher highly. He's not quite got the tenacity he used to have but his experience is very important. There was a point last night where he shouted 'stay left' to Forsyth (I think). He helps the players around him and guides them through games. He's a proper captain.

That being said. Brown is the first name on the team sheet and Mulgrew has been excellent there as well. So it wouldn't be a huge loss if Fletcher wasn't playing.

McArthur shouldn't even be in the squad, nevermind on the pitch

Edited by Tartan blood

I think Fletcher was good last night. He did exactly what he is in the team to do. I think people suggesting that ther was lack of penetration and looking at Fletcher don't get his role in the team or the type of player he is. Not sure anyone did what they are meant to do any better than Fletcher last night.

Nothing to do with lack of penetration, that's not his job, and more to do with the amount of times he gave the ball away. That mishit pass to his defender in the first half nearly put the Irish striker through one on one with the keeper.

He done a lot of good in the game too but he wasn't outstanding, the sponsors giving him motm seems to have blinkered a few people.

Guest allyc

No, that is his game. It's what he does. You all of a sudden expecting something different is like expecting Maloney to be a ball winner or Steven Fletcher to be a penalty box poacher.

OMG SERIOUSLY....

Nothing to do with lack of penetration, that's not his job, and more to do with the amount of times he gave the ball away. That mishit pass to his defender in the first half nearly put the Irish striker through one on one with the keeper.

He done a lot of good in the game too but he wasn't outstanding, the sponsors giving him motm seems to have blinkered a few people.

There are folk on this thread giving him a hard time for the lack of creativity in the team....I only responded to your message, didn't mean to imply this was your view.

Yes, maybe a bit of sentiment in the MOTM award. His performance was by no means faultless and I do think he tried things that weren't on at times. Think he may have been over eager in spells (understandable to a degree). That all said, not sure who was really any more deserving of MOTM last night though?

I think I've a weird opinion. McArthur provided more for Scotland tonight than Fletcher. I think the midfield was too defensive for the game and it made Fletcher look worse, but I was shocked by how many times Fletcher looked uncomfortable in position and failed to make a challenge, and refused to run forwards with the ball. It might not be his main responsibility to attack, but with McArthur playing DM next to him he needs to drive sometimes. If we had RB/LB that could competently drive forwards then that might be okay to have two really defensive players in the centre.

McArthur I think is normally hopeless, but last night he had his best performance as a Scotland player, and made me see why he gets a game for Crystal Palace. I though Morrison on for McArthur was a loss. And Maloney didn't provide anything, except a space for an uninspiring Matt Richie to put some good balls in the box from corners. But I can't remember any attacks last night through centre, except that one where McArthur passed to Anya when he should have off loaded to S.Fletcher. And McArthur won that chance with a good interception. So overall not too pissed about that.

D Fletcher done fine. His job is to break things up and keep it simple, not play hollywood passes or go beat 4/5 players. For too long, the perception was that because he played for Man U he should be the creative force, he's never been that type of player and his Scotland form suffered because previous managers insisted on him being a creative player. At Man U and now West Brom, he's been a solid holding player and he done a decent enough job last night. It's debatable whether he was man of the match but then there weren't many other candidates, Forsyth arguably the closest contender.

There are folk on this thread giving him a hard time for the lack of creativity in the team....I only responded to your message, didn't mean to imply this was your view.

Yes, maybe a bit of sentiment in the MOTM award. His performance was by no means faultless and I do think he tried things that weren't on at times. Think he may have been over eager in spells (understandable to a degree). That all said, not sure who was really any more deserving of MOTM last night though?

As I said in the article, I have no idea how the sponsors chose anyone because it was a tiring watch.

No one got pass marks, no one was creative, the reason I've picked Fletcher out to 'criticise' is because he got the MOTM award and some sections of our support seem to think he's our out and out best player where on the other hand I just don't see it.

As I said in the article, I have no idea how the sponsors chose anyone because it was a tiring watch.

No one got pass marks, no one was creative, the reason I've picked Fletcher out to 'criticise' is because he got the MOTM award and some sections of our support seem to think he's our out and out best player where on the other hand I just don't see it.

I thought a few got passmarks. Anya, Naismith, D Fletcher, Gordon, Forsyth, Martin. Struggling to give MacArthur passmarks, don't think he's good enough. S Fletcher is beginning to annoy me, doesn't work hard enough in the box, just waits hoping a cross comes to his head. Not one front post or across the defender run. Ritchie wasn't brave enough on the ball and didn't take enough responsibility for my liking.

This won't have been an easy game to play in though - friendly, games at weekend, lot's of face changes and neither team really looking to bust a gut. Was never going to be a classic!

Fletcher was fine for me. He was the better than McArthur and looked a lot sharper than he has for a long time. No, he didn't do anything particularly impressive, but moved the ball around well enough.

It's worth keeping in mind that that was far from our strongest side. Whittaker offered nothing in attack or defense all night, where as Hutton will offer himself as an outlet constantly and make runs all day long. Forsyth is a decent enough defender, but strangely for a left winger, he looked infield every time he received it, rather than down the line, which meant we ended up a bit congested in the middle as NI knew what pass was coming. Robertson offers a lot more. Brown along side Fletcher wouldn't be as cautious to advance as McArthur and is also more competent on the ball when doing so.

So the players around Fletcher that he's making most of his passes to are going to be significantly better than they were last night. That'll make him look better as he'll have more options to start things.

I thought a few got passmarks. Anya, Naismith, D Fletcher, Gordon, Forsyth, Martin. Struggling to give MacArthur passmarks, don't think he's good enough. S Fletcher is beginning to annoy me, doesn't work hard enough in the box, just waits hoping a cross comes to his head. Not one front post or across the defender run. Ritchie wasn't brave enough on the ball and didn't take enough responsibility for my liking.

This won't have been an easy game to play in though - friendly, games at weekend, lot's of face changes and neither team really looking to bust a gut. Was never going to be a classic!

Anya was wasted on the left with NI so deep. He always has to check back onto his right. Play him on the right and he's more likely to put a decent cross in.