5-0 At Least On Sunday - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

5-0 At Least On Sunday

usainboltyarocket

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no logic having teams like Gibraltar playing in these groups

That sounds a wee bit like the English at their arrogant best. I can remember not that long ago loads of English pundits (like Townsend and Lawrenson :wink2: ) moaning like fuk about having to play some minnows (Andorra I think?). It then took the all conquering England team about 70 minutes to score their first goal.

At one point Cyprus were one of the minnows of Europe. Did they not give your lot a doing not that long ago?

That sounds a wee bit like the English at their arrogant best. I can remember not that long ago loads of English pundits (like Townsend and Lawrenson :wink2: ) moaning like fuk about having to play some minnows (Andorra I think?). It then took the all conquering England team about 70 minutes to score their first goal.

At one point Cyprus were one of the minnows of Europe. Did they not give your lot a doing not that long ago?

And the Irish U21s just managed to sneak a 1-0 win over Andorra today.

It is really difficult to predict the score. Both Ireland and Poland beat them very comfortably but Germany only scored 4 at home.

Would be great to get a few goals for a change and fantastic for a player to score 3 but I just want the 3 points with an early goal to help the nerves.

Oh dont be so ridiculous......Its in no way arrogant at all.

If you were to read my previous posts i have backed the lesser teams like luxembourg , cyprus etc etc

I dont mind us playing Gibraltar nor going to watch us play them but the reality is, Gibraltar playing the bigger nations at the moment is going to do them NO favours. Having them thrown straight into the qualifying groups like this just to suffer repeated heavy beatings will only hinder their international development.

You make a point about cyprus being minnows back in the 70's which is fair....but football has become more evolved since then , technically and tactically and most importantly financially and it is ruled by rich powerful associations who can afford proper structures and investment in their devoloping top players. .

Gibraltar have played 4 games in our group...scoring 0 goals and conceding 20 goals.....thats the harsh reality

Gibraltar deserve a chance ....absolutely....I wholeheartedly agree but that has to be done with their pedigree in mind

So if there was a Placing of Europe’s minnows in there own qualification phase then it would produce competitive matches, allowing their coaches to set up in an attacking manner and develop their careers as tacticians by deploying new formations and styles.

It will also afford the opportunity to develop young players and create a winning culture that generates more national pride than been slaughtered everytime they play a "bigger" nation

And the Irish U21s just managed to sneak a 1-0 win over Andorra today.

Sure did .....not a great performance but thats kind of getting away from the point mate

Edited by Green_Tide_Rising

Sure did .....not a great performance but thats kind of getting away from the point mate

Not really, the point is you can never take these smaller nations for granted. Yes more often than not they might get beaten heavily but they can still be hard to beat at times.