Mhairi Black - Page 13 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The only reason i asked you to give your take on it was that i got the impression that you thought that part of the speech was bullshit.

Somehow, i doubt the guy in question would have been basing his daily intake on a sufficient calorie count, and i would be amazed if his daily expenditure on food would amount to even close to your lowest estimate of £4.

The upshot of my assessment is that it is perfectly plausible that this happened as relayed by Miss Black. Desperate poverty can be exactly that for far too many of us.

What makes you think i would think it is bullshit to claim someone went 120 hours without drinking fluids?

• Replies 530
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What makes you think i would think it is bullshit to claim someone went 120 hours without drinking fluids?

No, more the overall scenario of the 5 days without food and drink being required to subsidise the bus fare to the job centre.

I could be wrong in that assertion though!

No, more the overall scenario of the 5 days without food and drink being required to subsidise the bus fare to the job centre.

I could be wrong in that assertion though!

Nah that doesn't seem outwith the realms of possibility but not drinking for 5 days is just nonsense. That colours the rest of the story for me. But to paraphrase Stewart Lee even if the story isn't true, what it tells us about the Tories is true.

You'd wish they'd spend their time "fact-checking" more important things like leaked documents before a referendum or intelligence on Iraq.

Who? The press? Aye, because that's how they always go about their business :-)) Facts generally don't sell many copies

Who? The press? Aye, because that's how they always go about their business :-)) Facts generally don't sell many copies

I know. Remember i'm the one that hasn't had a Tv license for a decade. Cheers to everyone who funded the BBC since the Iraq war really helped out he cause. Stopped reading and buying papers even longer ago, as i'm sure many will remember as i used to go on about it all the time, but thankfully i have been given another opportunity to say it for the millionth time.

Papers exist to sell as many copies as possible while to also help the political class, that's why there is a revolving door between them and downing street Coulson being the latest example.

Great speech

rousing and setting out the values on which the snp landslide occurred

ie not nationalism and as for the cult references, just embarrassing

she had something from the beginning, even when getting over press due to age in election in her interviews she came across well

Can get a renfrewshire allday ticket zone 1 for £3.80

gozone1.png

With a wee touch of East Ren in there too.

There must be a few job centres within those routes too

Edited by Kirk

There is no need to know the minute details of the guy in question who was sanctioned - she was correctly highlighting the evil sanctions regime presided over by IDS. I used to work for DSS back in the early eighties in various capacities - visiting people to determine whether any grants were appropriate (different days back then) and a Fraud Officer too .

I don't imagine its much different from the eighties - Fraud was minimal - the vast majority of people on benefits are skint. The right wing media always like to highlight those who can manipulate the system, mainly by having lots of kids who all suffer from various illnesses. These families are a very small percentage of those claiming benefits.

The reason that Mhairi Blacks's speech almost reduced me to tears was I have seen first hand the effects of poverty and to be honest no civilized society should have benefit sanctions either as a target for jobcentre staff or to further plunge people into destitution.

Edited by irnbruman

The reason that Mhairi Blacks's speech almost reduced me to tears was I have seen first hand the effects of poverty and to be honest no civilized society should have benefit sanctions as a target for jobcentre staff.

Whoah wait

I'm not often moved to tears by a speech but this was quite brilliant , emotional and inspiring. She may be young but wise beyond her years.

See you scratch the surface and the paint peels. :wink2:

Phart - why are you such a pedantic arsehole. Nothing better to do with you time mate - you sad man.

thplinth hasn't been on since for calling someone an arsehole let's see how long you get.

'

Listen up arsehole. You keep me out of your shit posts and I'lI'continue to ignore your paranoid perennial victim greeting faced pish.

No. Not aceptable.

Edited by phart

You really are pathetic. You actually enjoy trolling and trying to get people banned ?

Dude why are you mad at what someone is typing on the internet? Chill out relax, the mods aren't consistent so feck all will happen to you.

Also i don't make the rules, personally i would allow folk to call each other names, if you have a problem with the rules best take it up with the folk who make them.

Edited by phart

you're a partisan too!

It's why i never get banned on here and at the same time annoy so many folk, i never attack them, i attack what they associate with and the results are exactly the same.

the fact is we've had about 5 years of discussion on this board about the referendum and what was important. who was letting their partisanship over-ride their critical thinking skills "60% yes" comes to mind. Leaving the currency debate till after the referendum comes to mind, currency unions, Europe is great etc etc. We've had an answer on the efficacy of such thoughts in the context of the referendum. Thinking these things were absolutely wrong.

The Referendum was what was important to me, not the general election where it's the same tired game.

I'm not trolling, I just went from one person saying the rights of foxes and individuals should trump national sovereignty as a rationalisation for the SNP position to clicking on someone crying at a speech about a guy who only feinted having not eaten or drank for 5 days as it took 5 days worth of food and drink money to purchase a return bus ticket to the job centre.

None of this really reflects on Mhairi Black though, who i think is an extremely impressive person.

I'm starting to think you quite liked that one. :lol:

My last ever response to any of your posts - why don't you consider contributing anything positive instead of acting like a little kid. I hope others on here can see your intention and consequently avoid you like the plague. Did you run to teacher at school "Miss - he called me names" - pathetic you are.

Great speech

rousing and setting out the values on which the snp landslide occurred

ie not nationalism and as for the cult references, just embarrassing

she had something from the beginning, even when getting over press due to age in election in her interviews she came across well

What a load of shite! :lol:

As I've said, the speech is quite brilliant if you remove all relevant context. The SNP are very much an austerity party so stick your shitey fake values up your arse :lol:

Absolutely sick to my back teeth of you apologist tits.

You really are pathetic. You actually enjoy trolling and trying to get people banned ?

another thing i have been posting here for 12 years, i'm not sitting trolling the fecking board, folk thinking differently doesn't mean they are trolling you, it means they think differently. I even put a winking smilie in to indicate i was having a laugh when i wrote that.

Some of us don't have the same reverence for MP's of a certain party that we're moved to tears by their words (actions move me to tears not words) so it's perfectly acceptable for us to have a bit of fun, without someone calling blasphemy on it. It's an MP for fecks sake !!! They've been getting ripped for centuries by everyone.

Now don't make me get neilta back on here again to see to you. :ok:

I'm starting to think you quite liked that one. :lol:

It was probably the most surprised i'd been for ages on here. More who it was coming from rather than the content which was dodgy, but par for the course for here. Then i went straight to the "moved to tears/nearly moved to tears" post and then made my cult post.

Do you think Irenbruman thinks i have really reported him for calling me an arsehole? When in fact i am often an arsehole. Also considering everything else i've been called and done nothng about.

In fact remember the good old days when it was cool to slag me for having depression and go on about my pills and shit, before the board became more understanding ;)

Edited by phart

So the reaction to the hostile media describing you as Cybernats is to... Act like Cybernats?

Wait, haud oan. Define 'Cybernats'? I thought they were pro-indy/SNP folk online that abuse unionists.

How does taking an insult directed at your political party automatically translate to being a Cybernat?

I don't understand the thinking behind your first paraphrase however. If I was a member of a neoliberal, pro-austerity party I certainly wouldn't take criticism personally.

What i was getting at was the relationship between the SNP and Scottish national identity. Insults (Nazis, narrow-minded nationalists, cybernats etc etc) from the English right-wing press (and/or Scottish unionists) towards the SNP are reflected as insults to the SNP members themselves.

It might have changed but it used to be you had to sign on 2 days before you got your dole cheque. If this is still the case then that means you have to make sure you have money left towards the end of your dole money to make sure you can get the bus to your job centre. This can mean you basically have to save some from each days money so you have enough. I know from when I have been on the dole and living in west Kilbride there was no way I was going to not get the bus as it would mean a roughly 16 mile round trip if I had to walk to the job centre. All for the pleasure of having some person look down there noses at you because you don't have a job