€ Euro - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure the Euro roughly had parity with the £ back in 2008. 30% drop in seven years - not good for those with investments in Euros.

Edit: I've got an almighty hangover, so this could be nonsense.

Equally, the pound dropped 30% against the Euro in less than a year back in 2007/2008.

Aye the Euro was around the 70p mark for years until the 2008 crash.

The tourist industry here must be taking a hammering this summer. Cheap to go abroad, expensive for Europeans to come to Scotland, and even more shitey weather than usual...

Depends on your card as rates vary quite a lot.

A few give you the exact exchange rate with no cash withdrawal fees. Halifax clarity is the one I have.

Also use the Halifax Clarity credit card to withdraw cash when abroad - saved quite a few bob over the years! :ok:

Aye the Euro was around the 70p mark for years until the 2008 crash.

The tourist industry here must be taking a hammering this summer. Cheap to go abroad, expensive for Europeans to come to Scotland, and even more shitey weather than usual...

I've heard plenty of Dutch people talking about holidaying this summer in the Eurozone....you've got to presume that French and Germans will be doing the same.

I know that Switzerland took a real hit last winter as Eurozone skiers went to France, Austria and Italy.

My feckin holidays this year are back in the UK, and then off to America. It's going to cost me a fortune this summer.... :(

I was told a while back the cheapest way to change currency was to draw it out of cash machines once you arrive because you got a better exchange rate which offsets the bank charge, so I've been doing that now for a few years.

Does that still hold true? I'm off to Spain in October but am getting tempted by the low rates around now. I'm also normally a financial Jonah in that if there's a way to get a decision wrong I usually find it.

You need to take it in euros, it will give you the option to convert it to £s at the cashpoint, always say euros!

Also my bank charges by transaction rather than a %age, so I take enough for the 1st half of the holiday with me, and can usually estimate what I'll need and lift the rest their.

Don't lift small amounts!

Otherwise this way works out as good as the best exchange rate (usually Ramsdens is one of the best without going online).

You need to take it in euros, it will give you the option to convert it to £s at the cashpoint, always say euros!

Also my bank charges by transaction rather than a %age, so I take enough for the 1st half of the holiday with me, and can usually estimate what I'll need and lift the rest their.

Don't lift small amounts!

Otherwise this way works out as good as the best exchange rate (usually Ramsdens is one of the best without going online).

Best option is always a prepaid card. I use weswap.com as there's no commission or 'tourist rate', you just swap directly with someone else and pay the company 1%. So if the Euros at 144 you'd get it for 142.56. Beat that!

But echo the above - whichever option you use for getting cash - always - select the local currency on ATMs and card machines

That's what I did in Hungary recently, but I noticed when I checked my statement on getting home that the ATMs in Budapest had been offering a better rate than I ended up getting with the Clydesdale! (I presume though once card charges were added that wouldn't be the case?)

PS - Also noticed I got a much better rate for credit card purchases than bank card ATM withdrawals, worth noting when spending abroad...

Edited by Toepoke

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone an expert on what will happen with the Czech Krown?

Last week it was as high as 38 then Monday at 36.2 now at 37.4.

I'm off there in a couple of weeks so the question is do I buy now or gamble on it rising again?

Anyone an expert on what will happen with the Czech Krown?

Last week it was as high as 38 then Monday at 36.2 now at 37.4.

I'm off there in a couple of weeks so the question is do I buy now or gamble on it rising again?

Its linked to the euro so moves up and down with that.

Whatever happens (within reason) you are quids in as the pound is at an 8 year high against these curencies. If you were at the scotland game a few years back you are getting 10kr more per £ than then.

Best option is always a prepaid card. I use weswap.com as there's no commission or 'tourist rate', you just swap directly with someone else and pay the company 1%. So if the Euros at 144 you'd get it for 142.56. Beat that!

Ok. Just got a Revolut card that would pay you the full 1.44 - it changes at the full interbank rate. Managed via app, unbelievably fast and amazing value. No idea how they make profit but are only guaranteeing no fees for one year. The interbank rate seems to be about 4-5 euro cents better than the best 'high street' rate.

Edited by killiefaetheferry

How does Revolut make money?

We earn a nominal fee paid to us by merchants every time you use Revolut Card.

We reserve the right to review our pricing structure after the first 12 months of your use of the Revolut service. We do not anticipate any significant changes. Revolut was launched to offer a fair and transparent service. It has been designed to offer the best value and the best user experience. There are no hidden fees to our users.

https://revolut.com/faq

Ok. Just got a Revolut card that would pay you the full 1.44 - it changes at the full interbank rate. Managed via app, unbelievably fast and amazing value. No idea how they make profit but are only guaranteeing no fees for one year. The interbank rate seems to be about 4-5 euro cents better than the best 'high street' rate.

Interesting.

If I got a Revolut card am I right in saying I'd need to load with GBP£ then when in Prague simply withdraw from the 'hole in the wall' and the rate should be better than say the Ramsdens 37.50? Giving me what maybe 38.5 or something like that???

Confused.

Interesting.

If I got a Revolut card am I right in saying I'd need to load with GBP£ then when in Prague simply withdraw from the 'hole in the wall' and the rate should be better than say the Ramsdens 37.50? Giving me what maybe 38.5 or something like that???

Confused.

Basically, yes, that's correct. But does look like they are going to charge in the future.

They surely will as how the hell do they make any coin at the moment?

Meantime my card is ordered. :ok:

Retailers pay fees for each transaction. Would still be amazed if these fees are even getting near covering their costs though, likely creating a large pool of cardholders before selling up.

Looking at their website looks like they don't even lend out your deposits.

Just received my Revolut card at weekend and I`ve got a stupid question for anyone already in possession of one .

Do they send you a separate letter with your pin number ( as normally happens when you get a new bank card ) ? Or is the pin number you use on the app , also the pin for your card ?

Taking this to Georgia and Portugal as I`m not allowed to take my bank card anymore :blush:

Edited by popkean1314foreva

Just received my Revolut card at weekend and I`ve got a stupid question for anyone already in possession of one .

Do they send you a separate letter with your pin number ( as normally happens when you get a new bank card ) ? Or is the pin number you use on the app , also the pin for your card ?

Taking this to Georgia and Portugal as I`m not allowed to take my bank card anymore :blush:

There is an option in the app to view your PIN. Not the same as the 4 digit password you use to open the app.