Shocking Westminster Vote..... - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Shocking Westminster Vote.....

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless federalism is introduced, and there's slim to zero chance of that, independence is all but certain as soon as the demographics allow it. Time is very much on our side, those who voted Yes are unlikely to ever go back to No and it's only a 5% swing. Unlike last time when Yes was behind till last gasp allowing plenty to vote status quo/be bribed by the Vow etc, next time it will be utterly embarrassing to be in No.

Dissolving the Scottish parliament against the wishes of the people could mitigate indy, as Tam D correctly predicted the existence of a Scottish parliament would, slowly but surely, end the union.

But that would surely be a UDI moment, not likely to be a scenario wanted by either side of the debate.

Surely if a Westminster government was mad enough to dissolve the Scottish parliament without a referendum on it then independence would almost automatically follow? Surely?

sometimes the principle is important.... we can switch you off like a light at any moment. You only exist with our consent. We can tread on you...

Since he has had a wee bit criticism on here should try and catch John Nicolson's maiden speech that he made today.

It was really enjoyable

Witty and educational

Unless federalism is introduced, and there's slim to zero chance of that, independence is all but certain as soon as the demographics allow it. Time is very much on our side, those who voted Yes are unlikely to ever go back to No and it's only a 5% swing. Unlike last time when Yes was behind till last gasp allowing plenty to vote status quo/be bribed by the Vow etc, next time it will be utterly embarrassing to be in No.

Dissolving the Scottish parliament against the wishes of the people could mitigate indy, as Tam D correctly predicted the existence of a Scottish parliament would, slowly but surely, end the union.

But that would surely be a UDI moment, not likely to be a scenario wanted by either side of the debate.

a few of the no voters in my work are now admit regretting voting no ... the NO camp face a massive problem of who will be the public face of their campaign ... Labour have no big hitters left and the likes of Gordon Brown is heavily tarnished ... who are they gonna front it with .... Labour in Scotland are a total shambles I can't see them possibly run another Better Together style campaign with their very limited finances and Liberals are heavily damaged and Ruth Davidson or the likes of Cameron/Osborne or Johnson will turn more voters to Yes ... bring it on after the SNP and Greens control Holyrood in 2016 I say 2017 a 3 month campaign with Nicola and the public face of the Yes campaign along with Patrick Harvie

Edited by FuNsTeR

Unless we sort out the currency question and put up a more varied argument on the finances then it still wouldn't get a Yes. Too many folk frightened by the money side of things.

Agree - currency was defining issue of last referendum

We shouldn't attempt a second referendum until this question is answered and we are sure of victory.

In next 10-20 years this would be most likely to happen if Scotland was removed from EU against its will ?

In this scenario the entire debate would be changed ;)

Whilst it might not be universally popular pre-negotiating entry into the euro would (IMHO) answer many of the currency "unknowns".

Whilst it might not be universally popular pre-negotiating entry into the euro would (IMHO) answer many of the currency "unknowns".

Correct me if i'm wrong, but i'm fairly sure the European Commission aren't allowed to pre-negotiate anything with 'regions'. We'd need to actually vote for independence first.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but i'm fairly sure the European Commission aren't allowed to pre-negotiate anything with 'regions'. We'd need to actually vote for independence first.

I think you're right. Cameron could have asked the EU what Scotland's position would have been re the EU prior to the referendum, but he didn't. Uncertainty was a key ingredient of the No campaign's strategy - and it worked.

I think you're right. Cameron could have asked the EU what Scotland's position would have been re the EU prior to the referendum, but he didn't. Uncertainty was a key ingredient of the No campaign's strategy - and it worked.

Would this have meant that if the SNP had been in coalition with labour and chaired the Foreign affairs committee, then they would have been able to have asked the question?

100% correct.

Prior to September 2014 the EU would only negotiate with Westminster, rather than Holyrood.

However if the UK had already voted to leave the EU ?

Then I suspect the EU would be keen to have Scotland as members ?

And thus willing to discuss possible terms for Scotland joining the EU / Euro.

IMHO : this would remove many of the "unknowns" and any 2nd referendum debate would be very different ?

Would this have meant that if the SNP had been in coalition with labour and chaired the Foreign affairs committee, then they would have been able to have asked the question?

Good question. They possibly would have (although Labour would no doubt come in for loads of flack for allowing a party who "want to break up Britain" joint-chair its foreign affairs committe).

100% correct.

Prior to September 2014 the EU would only negotiate with Westminster, rather than Holyrood.

However if the UK had already voted to leave the EU ?

Then I suspect the EU would be keen to have Scotland as members ?

And thus willing to discuss possible terms for Scotland joining the EU / Euro.

IMHO : this would remove many of the "unknowns" and any 2nd referendum debate would be very different ?

Aye, it might well clarify the picture. Although, there would still be 'uncertainties' over terms and conditions of membership etc.

No no! It was the vow! All the vow!

I'm a bit tired of 'the vow' - the vow was only a BBC/Labour PR stunt to focus on what Darling, Cameron and (to a lesser extent) Brown had been saying all along.... 'all the possibilities of devolution'.... 'nothing short of a modern form of federalism'.....

they offered full autonomy in the UK and I want it.

I'm a bit tired of 'the vow' - the vow was only a BBC/Labour PR stunt to focus on what Darling, Cameron and (to a lesser extent) Brown had been saying all along.... 'all the possibilities of devolution'.... 'nothing short of a modern form of federalism'.....

they offered full autonomy in the UK and I want it.

I don't remember Cameron saying anything about full autonomy, remind me? I don't remember Brown saying it either granted, but I pay little attention to that moron.

I don't remember Cameron saying anything about full autonomy, remind me? I don't remember Brown saying it either granted, but I pay little attention to that lovely cuddly bunny.

man, if you're trying to say that the Better Together campaign with the clear mandate and authority of the Prime Minister did not frequently and deliberately offer/suggest/propose/imply/infer and in every other way possible tell us we would have federalism / devolution / home rule then........ you need to evaluate your concept of reality.

Did they say it in a way that would legally bind them? no - but every fecker on the planet knows what they said and what it meant and they are now playing games to say they didn't.

https://vine.co/v/eep3UdYJQr9

there will be much more serious political consequences......

Edited by UPROAR

man, if you're trying to say that the Better Together campaign with the clear mandate and authority of the Prime Minister did not frequently and deliberately offer/suggest/propose/imply/infer and in every other way possible tell us we would have federalism / devolution / home rule then........ you need to evaluate your concept of reality.

Did they say it in a way that would legally bind them? no - but every fecker on the planet knows what they said and what it meant and they are now playing games to say they didn't.

https://vine.co/v/eep3UdYJQr9

there will be much more serious political consequences......

I said I didn't remember it and you're questioning my sanity? :lol:. I merely asked you to remind me and you haven't done so, no need to be so touchy friend :)

I said I didn't remember it and you're questioning my sanity? :lol:. I merely asked you to remind me and you haven't done so, no need to be so touchy friend :)

It's worse than that I was using you as a proxy for all those who need their sanity checking !!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

58 aye 504 no for ffa plans.

Wonder who the other two are

Presumably one of them was Sir Edward Leigh, who tabled his own FFA amendment.

Seemingly the scale of this defeat elicited much amusement in the HoC.

We really need out of this union. The trouble is, a majority of people in Scotland would probably still rather we were having the piss ripped out of us by smug politicians we haven't voted for than take control of our own destiny.