Edinburgh Airport (Again) - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Edinburgh Airport (Again)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aren't all airports shit, worth enduring only for the nice bits either side,home or holiday.

This is it. I hate everything about it. I want to skip the airport bit and just be there. the flying too.

“Our analysis has shown us that queues are building at peak times when a huge number of passengers are arriving at the airport in a very short space of time.”

No shit...... :rolleyes:

Our analysis has shown us that queues are building at peak times when a huge number of passengers are arriving at the airport in a very short space of time.

No shit...... :rolleyes:

Brilliant. Queues are big when there are a lot of people in them. Who'd of thunk it?

J

Say it ain't so ?

As long as the flight goes on time I don't mind queueing for a hour ! That's how much they have ground me down

They've turned it into a huge shopping centre and got rid of all the seats.

It's not my idea of an improvement.

Airports are designed to get folk to spend as much money as they can squeeze out of folk. My target is to get in aand out without spending a penny. It's no easy but very satisfying if you can manage it.

They've got a new security system at Schiphol, back to checking everything before departures instead of at the gate.

As I fly quite often I'm always ready as soon as I get to the conveyor. Jacket (with everything from trouser pockets now in jacket pockets) of, iPad in basket and bag in another basket. I'd say I'm ready to go through metal detector within 30 seconds. However some Dutch Nazi wouldn't let me put my baskets on the conveyor (there's 3 spots for filling baskets) as the other 2 "were there before me. Both of them were faffing about taking ages. Makes my blood boil!!!

Airports are designed to get folk to spend as much money as they can squeeze out of folk. My target is to get in aand out without spending a penny. It's no easy but very satisfying if you can manage it.

Yep - just shopping malls with runways outside.

Aren't all airports shit, worth enduring only for the nice bits either side,home or holiday.

The are in Europe generally.

However, over here in Asia, Singapore, Seoul, KL & Hong Kong are a pleasure to pass through.

They've got a new security system at Schiphol, back to checking everything before departures instead of at the gate.

As I fly quite often I'm always ready as soon as I get to the conveyor. Jacket (with everything from trouser pockets now in jacket pockets) of, iPad in basket and bag in another basket. I'd say I'm ready to go through metal detector within 30 seconds. However some Dutch Nazi wouldn't let me put my baskets on the conveyor (there's 3 spots for filling baskets) as the other 2 "were there before me. Both of them were faffing about taking ages. Makes my blood boil!!!

I get a bit pissed off with people who don't know what they have to do. I'm usually ready - ipad out, liquids out, contents of pockets into jacket etc and the only time the alarm goes off is for one particular pair of jeans for some reason. It's probably because I fly a fair amount, but people not knowing what they're doing really rubs me up the wrong way.

It's people who stand in the queue for 10 minutes doing nothing, then spend forever messing about when they get a tray that I hate.

That short queue is s wonderful opportunity to prepare. Belt aff, empty your pockets into your bag and so on.

Should never take more than 35 seconds to drop, walk then pick up again.

Why don't '10 items or less' queues exist at airports.

Pfffft.

Small airports are best. I was flying out of Vagar in the faroes and security found a knife on my person that I had forgotten about (I had been camping). In most airports the best result would be the knife gets confiscated and you are waved on your way. In Vagar I was sent back to check in to have my knife put in the hold, then come back through security. The entire procedure took three minutes. Give me small airports any time.

Does ma nut in people that take ages. Coming back from Belfast some guy lostnit with me as I started putting my stuff in a basket, he apparently " wasn't ready yet" and I was to "stop shoving in" I was basically just filling the next basket but he needed four baskets for some reason, went behind him as it was the shortest que should have gone to another one, about 5 people got through the one next to me before I even got to put my stuff down. Then at the other end he stood and held up everything at the end of the belt redoing all his shite. He was a dick.

With you 100% on that, some of the people who fly are complete dicks, heres two of my experiences -

Flight to Peru from Amsterdam, found my seat put bag in over head locker and sat down, last person along is "Pedro" who proceeds to open all the lockers tries to fit in an oversize bag, eventually he removes my bag and the bag of lady who is sat beside me, and promptly sits about 3 rows ahead of where the bag is. The lady beside me [american] says did he really just do that !, no problem, i take out his bag and put back in my bag and the ladies bag, I take his bag to the back of the plane at which point the stewardess tells me it should be in the hold as it is to big for the cabin, i said thats fine and walked back to my seat. The look on "Pedro's" panic stricken face 12 hours later when we landed as he thought his bag had been stolen was brilliant .

Flight London to Cairo, sitting comfortably in my seat along comes "Mohamed" who is in the seat in front, he decided to push the seat up and down for ten minutes and eventually got his fat Egyptian arse into position. Off we go and along comes the dolly trolley, she had an assortment of all drinks from fanta to whisky but nothing was good enough for him, she eventually got to me and placed 2 vodkas on my table with a bag of nuts. Mohamed then decides to play ups and down with his chair, fortunately i was able to move the drinks without spillage, the guy besides me say's i can see an accident here !!!. Along comes the trolley with the food, nothing good enough for Mohamed so he puts his chair back into my space, i said to the stewardess can you ask the gentleman in front to put his chair forward so i can eat my meal at which point he turned and gave me the look of death. I started my meal and put the wine into the glass at which point Mohamed push's his seat back and spills half my wine onto my trousers, in my opinion to spill a Scotsman alcohol is a crime, so in a calm and collective manner i stood up and poured the remainder of the wine over Mohamed's head , telling him at the same time as to where i would stick the glass. He sat in an upright position for the remainder of the flight, job done

From my future novel of " Trials and Tribulations of Air Travel" :ok:

Guest BlueGaz

The 'new' owners have done some things well.....the main departure lounge is a big improvement on how it was before, with some good eating options.

However, the really important bits for passengers.....check-in and security.....can be a feckin chaos, with long queues and really ignorant, poorly trained staff. That in itself is enough to give your casual, foreign visitor to Edinburgh airport a bad impression of Scotland.

The management of the airport need to get a grip of this.

Its not just the management, a big part of the staff issues is Menzies. They are a terrible company to work for and almost all areas of the airport are understaffed, for various reasons i wont go into now, but mainly because of their treatment of their employees and money.

It's people who stand in the queue for 10 minutes doing nothing, then spend forever messing about when they get a tray that I hate.

That short queue is s wonderful opportunity to prepare. Belt aff, empty your pockets into your bag and so on.

Should never take more than 35 seconds to drop, walk then pick up again.

Why don't '10 items or less' queues exist at airports.

Pfffft.

Perhaps they're owned by grammar Nazis. Edited by Charlie Endell

Oh, nearly forgot. Edinburgh airport 2 weeks ago, Security "you can't take that on board",customer "why not, it's not real, it's just a toy" security " you can't take it on board, it won't look like a toy on the x-ray, you do realise why we won't allow this on board" customer "blah, blah blah.........). You can guess what it was, how thick are some people.

Its not just the management, a big part of the staff issues is Menzies. They are a terrible company to work for and almost all areas of the airport are understaffed, for various reasons i wont go into now, but mainly because of their treatment of their employees and money.

That's a good point.

I've no problem at all with security people doing their job properly, it's the attitude that stinks.

If most of us were arrogant, aggressive, ignorant and rude in our jobs, we would be hauled over the coals for it. For some reason at Edinburgh (and other UK airports) this seems to be encouraged.

Oh, nearly forgot. Edinburgh airport 2 weeks ago, Security "you can't take that on board",customer "why not, it's not real, it's just a toy" security " you can't take it on board, it won't look like a toy on the x-ray, you do realise why we won't allow this on board" customer "blah, blah blah.........). You can guess what it was, how thick are some people.

TS and Cs are very clear that you can't take toy guns on board. How real des a toy gun have to look before you stop someone taking it on?

Similar to Belfast except it's a shithole and it now had less seats except there are less seats in the departure lounge s where you can buy feck all even if you wanted to

That's a good point.

I've no problem at all with security people doing their job properly, it's the attitude that stinks.

If most of us were arrogant, aggressive, ignorant and rude in our jobs, we would be hauled over the coals for it. For some reason at Edinburgh (and other UK airports) this seems to be encouraged.

I spoke to a lad from Menzies regards my luggage and he basically opened up to me about everything going on there. Under staffed, under paid, and in his own words "I'm surprised at half the stuff here gets through health and safety" and it's 10 times worse since the buy over.