Another Horrific Attack In France - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Another Horrific Attack In France

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eddard you don't half talk pish.

Yemen who as we speak is getting bombed to shit by the Saudi's, or Syria, who's enemies the Saudi's are funding right now and wrecking their country, or wahhabi terrorism sponsored by the Saudi's, but everyone else is the problem, talk about victim blaming.

The Saudi's will get "attacked" will they?

Qatar is equally complicit in this. But then so is anyone who drives a car

Most victims were British so now it's automatically worse.

This kind of reporting pisses me off. It's a tragedy no matter the nationality of the people killed. But you can be sure that if it was all Tunisians it would already be gone from our screens.

The people don't speak good english, were the police too slow?....yada yada...the usual reporting from foreign countries.

The UK media, or most of it, is all about resonance ie that could have been you. The "massacre on sunbed" type headline aligned with the fact that a large number of victims were British goes hand in hand with many people's perception that something is only truly horrific or significant if by any chance under any circumstances that may have happened to them. I think it is becoming more and more a way of thinking - probably in some way connected to people sobbing when someone famous they have never met dies or connecting themselves in some small way to a tragedy like Clutha or the Queen St bin lorry.

The media respond to this or perhaps informs this type of association. A tsunami in South East is deemed less significant as it is unlikely to affect your average Brit/European but a terrorist attack at a popular package tourist destination is highly significant. I seem to recall a decade or so ago Americans were mocked for this type of insular news coverage but seems it is well and truly the way the UK (and European) media mainly operates now and is in line with public perception and tastes.

I have a Czech friend who is equally as pissed off when a plane crash headline or lead news item starts with the highlighting the number of Czechs on board. Why does that make it any more news worthy or more of a tragedy? Because that could have been you or I..........

Edited by Return of Yermaw

Must admit watching the coverage today the last thing I get wound up about is the UK medias emphasis on British victims. What does wind me up is the politicians inability to comment on the issue without reference to scripted statements or war on terror references.

Edited by EddardStark

When you watch British news expect an emphasis on British affairs. It's reasonable for folk to identify with tragedies a bit closer to home. You wouldn't watch the news and similarly expect to hear about government scandals in South Sudan or football results from Bosnia's premier liga.

When you watch British news expect an emphasis on British affairs. It's reasonable for folk to identify with tragedies a bit closer to home. You wouldn't watch the news and similarly expect to hear about government scandals in South Sudan or football results from Bosnia's premier liga.

Bizarre comparisons........

Personally I have no concerns over travelling to France in 2016.

:ok:

France will be fine. Never in a million years would I have been going to Tunisia though. Egypt is on my no go list aswell. Morocco may well be in it too, although I really want to go to Marrakesh.

J

Edited by Bristolhibby

Personally I have no concerns over travelling to France in 2016.

:ok:

Thats foolhardy to say the least

I would

Whether it would put me off going is another matter

I notice there is a Perth lassie who has not heard from her parents who are at that resort. They are in that hotel and they were phoning her everyday until before the tragedy. The hotel has said they have not checked into their room for two days.

I notice there is a Perth lassie who has not heard from her parents who are at that resort. They are in that hotel and they were phoning her everyday until before the tragedy. The hotel has said they have not checked into their room for two days.

that doesnt sound good at all. Horrible to not hear anything.

During the world cup in '98 there was bother with French Arabs in Paris and St Etienne. They are sleekit cockwombles.

There are problems with those guys every Saturday night. Just like with the neds in Glasgow. Their neds are mostly Arab or black so it's way easier to scapegoat them. But it's got absolutely shit all to do with Islamic extremism.

When you get a minute could you post a "where's safe list" please.

I was trying to say is you have to make personal judgement calls with life. For me, North Africa is off for me. Just too dicey. Especially with the current situations and conflict in the Middle East.

Bizarrely I did my dissertation on terrorism on tourism back in 2003. What surprises me is that we haven't had more attacks on tourists in situ. They are traditionally a soft target and give the terrorists maximum shock impact. It has shown what a small driven terrorist can achieve with the relatively small price of an AK and their life.

Not saying stay in your house and huddle in the corner, just make a judgement.

J