Improving Scottish Football - Suggestions? - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Improving Scottish Football - Suggestions?

I don't disagree with any of that, more competition would definitely encourage more folk along.

What I would say though is that Aberdeen have presumably like John Boyle did at Motherwell tried all sorts to get folk through the turnstiles, but they are all one offs. A shite game against Inverness or st johnstone where they knock a fiver off the price, market it poorly, get the same 4000 folk in and then say it didn't work and put the price back up the next week.

As you know, I don't want to pay more than £20 for an SPFL game. Occasionally I'll go above that if it's a game I really want to go to, but there's several games over the last couple of seasons I've thought about going to, looked at the price and decided against it. It seems petty over £3 that I'd spend on a pie or a pint or whatever, but it's the value I put on a visit to Rugby park for example.

£27 for a single adult ticket behind the goal at fir park on Saturday!

:shocked:

Did you see how many empty seats there were behind that goal? (Only occupants would be family season ticket holders) £20 in the east stand which was pretty full.

I don't want to pay more than 30p for a snickers. Snickers cost more than 30p though

Dilemma.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think there are 3 main areas that improvement is badly needed.

1. Match day experience. Cutting costs might not be the answer but providing value for money is. Too often fans are treated like criminals rather than customers. Fans need to enjoy the experience of they are going to keep going back. I think summer football would help but there are so many other options to explore.

2. Marketing. The league is terrible at marketing itself. It doesn't help that the people in charge don't seem to even pretend that they like the league and enjoy it. A decent highlights package would be a big start. Young fans need to see their local team as an option and not be taken in by the fierce marketing of the top sides in England, and even Spain.

3. Competition. The most difficult to change but easily the most crucial. Ideally, teams would get closer, and better than the standard Celtic are not at. However, it's difficult without spending money, particularly when teams struggle to keep any decent players they bring through for longer than a season or 2.

Summer football

this, this and more this!

utter madness that we play an outdoor sport in the worst of the weather. moving to the summer will have untold benefits.

also, encourage punters to come into ground early, 1PM. open pop-up bars and grills / bbqs in the area around the stand, have kids clubs for before the games to allow the adults to get a drink / have some crack with their mates.

improve catering and drink facilities and the punters will come in. make the sport american style that even thought the game is only 3PM - 4:45, the crowds will be there from 1 until 6PM, broadcast the late live spanish / english league game top encourage folk to stay even later. get rid the the dross catering and get proper tasty food in at reasonable prices, then folk are sure to buy it, improve choice.

FAO the police & stewards - stop treating football fans like cattle, treat them like customers like the retail / leisure industry does, respect their patronage.

more innovation and thinking outside the box required.

make the whole matchday an experience.

I don't want to pay more than 30p for a snickers. Snickers cost more than 30p though

Dilemma.

:lol:

So the answer is, you eat less snickers, some folk will give up snickers all together. After all nobody needs snickers, and after a while of not having snickers, you'd probably forget why you ever bought them in the 1st place.

(Actually I got 4 for £1 in Asda a few weeks back! I don't usually buy them but was a good deal...)

So the answer is, you eat less snickers, some folk will give up snickers all together. After all nobody needs snickers, and after a while of not having snickers, you'd probably forget why you ever bought them in the 1st place.

(Actually I got 4 for £1 in Asda a few weeks back! I don't usually buy them but was a good deal...)

Aye but snickers won't get 25% more sales by reducing prices by 25%. Their sales will increase slightly but in the main, it'll just bs the same folk buying them.

If people want to go to the fitbaw, £3 won't make a difference. It's just an excuse.

I still go back to the fact that regardless of yer snickers, nachos and balloons..it's all about competition.

This weekend is a good example...Pikeys v good guys. Gonna be good weather, a big crowd, and hopefully a cracking game as 2 teams that are packed with some of the best players in country battle it out at the top of the league.

Neither team will win the league (probably), but it's one of the biggest games of the season far and there'll be an extra edge because it's at Xmas, it's not live on TV, and because the league is competitive.

Fans want games like this.

And beer.

I still go back to the fact that regardless of yer snickers, nachos and balloons..it's all about competition.

This weekend is a good example...Pikeys v good guys. Gonna be good weather, a big crowd, and hopefully a cracking game as 2 teams that are packed with some of the best players in country battle it out at the top of the league.

Neither team will win the league (probably), but it's one of the biggest games of the season far and there'll be an extra edge because it's at Xmas, it's not live on TV, and because the league is competitive.

Fans want games like this.

And beer.

good weather? forecast is 2 degrees. sitting about not moving much at that temperature is feckin freezing. much rather watch that game in 20 degrees in july, with cold beer and spicy nachos (and not the shitey ones you get at the cinema).

I think personally the biggest issue affecting crowds at scottish football is the weather and this in turn dictates issues with price of matches.

I'm looking out the window just now and it's freezing, blowing a gale and away to pish down. The thought of going and sitting for an hour and a half at tan advice freezing my arse of does not appeal.

I'm neither for or against summer football but some of the positives iv encountered watching football in hot conditions are

Generally better day out when the weather is hot. I went to numerous Brisbane roar games when I lived in oz and the football is more than the 90 minutes, it's the whole game day package.

Using tannadice as an example, tannadice street is closed match days and is more than large enought to accomidate various stalls seeking decent foods, the car parking area at gussie park can accomidate a seated bar area, make it accessed only by ticket holders/home fans.

Further up tannadice street to split the home and away fans a large children's area, alcohol free could be set up, incorporate things such as beat the goalie, meet the players not in the squad, design tops, wee completions, meet the mascots etc. there is no need to charge extra for this and would instantly improve club, community relations.

This set up would not work during the current season and would require a change to summer football and would still probs not be suitable for the whole season with the weather we get here.

Outwith this start having more open training sessions the fans can view, free of charge. If during summer football the nights are lighter so fans/children can attend.

Cost of tickets are always going to be an issue so don't have many ideas how to fix is, but keeping children's costs down or buy one get one free could be looked at.

Obviously the above would work to an extent at tannadice but other stadiums may not have the room for these sort of things.

In the long run, clubs and sport scotland should seriously consider the options of roofed stadiums when building new stadia. I'd happily have united and dundee sharing a 15000 seater roofed stadium. Build stadiums with other sports in mind and have decent leisure facilities and hotels built within.

I still do like winter football but it does bring its problems

good weather? forecast is 2 degrees. sitting about not moving much at that temperature is feckin freezing. much rather watch that game in 20 degrees in july, with cold beer and spicy nachos (and not the shitey ones you get at the cinema).

I meant 'good' in the sense that it's not meant to be battering it doon.

Fact is, December or not, people will go because it's going to be a good, competitive game that means something.

If people want to go to the fitbaw, £3 won't make a difference. It's just an excuse.

We're probably never going to fully agree on this, but there must be a point where you would start to question going to Aberdeen games? £30? £35?

Perhaps you've more disposable income and/or different commitments. Maybe football is just higher up your list of priorities, I don't know, because I don't know you other than an online persona.

The same applies the other way. I might be in a minority, but I'm saying I would 100% go to more games if the price was less, the £3 isn't an excuse, it's my reason, not always the only one, but it is a factor.

I probably wouldn't go to Aberdeen or Inverness for a live TV game or in midweek and I still wouldn't make every game, but Kilmarnock, partick thistle, stmirren, Celtic.... I'd go to more often.

Need to create a fair system for away fans to attend matches.

They generate much needed cash after the season ticket money has been spent, as well as creating an atmosphere.

Discount for away fans if you present your home season ticket has been tried between Motherwell and Kilmarnock in the past.

Every initiative my club has had to reduce prices has resulted in little change to the crowd number and the club losing money.

How long have the club kept up the initiative. It takes several years for people behaviours to turn round. Going back to the Ice Hockey example its taken several seasons of a few folk going, having a good night and telling their mates. A few more go to the next game and repeat.

The Scottish football authorities have been pissing on fans for over a decade and now its starting to get to the crunch point

Cost is the single biggest issue. I can't take my 3 boys as when you add in their tickets and food it's a ridiculous amount for 1.5 hrs of questionable entertainment. There's no guarantee it will be interesting.

The other problem is the weather. If we play in the summer you'll get bigger crowds. Who in their right mind would want to go see St Mirren tonight with howling wind and lashing rain?

The same fixture on a summer night would easily attract more punters.

This comes up all the time on here.

As I said a couple of years ago:

Get somebody from outside football to run the marketing. The world has moved on from the world where the dinosaurs that run it started.

That would allow them to consider their competition. Its interesting that Google think that Amazon are actually their biggest competion. Its not always obvious.

Get your customers early. Banks and political parties know that when you commit to them you are unlikely to change and stay with them forever (ish). West Ham target local kids teams (ie interested in football) and let the whole lot come for £1 each (mind you I hate the high pitched noise). How many will change teams after their first visit? Price becomes less important if you are commited, the Marathon Bar example is ok but when the three ankle bighters want one as well but are only partially interested it is important.

I hate to say that Stanford Bridge is a great experience, nice bars felt more like a nice night out than the cattle crush that is Upton Park.

Don't go head to head with the big competition next door on their terms. Like Scotmid taking on Tesco it just isn't going to work unless you offer something different (summer football).

Competition is important. Change the formats. 2 Leagues, revamped League Cup (maybe the old geographilcal setup [local rivals]), drop any seeding for the Scottish cup all teams start in round one (create the dream that anyone can win).

Edited by andymac

This comes up all the time on here.

As I said a couple of years ago:

Get somebody from outside football to run the marketing. The world has moved on from the world where the dinosaurs that run it started.

With apologies for highlighting this statement from your longer post, but the SFA have done exactly that, and failed so abysmally to the extent that they are now alienating their core support with a marketing strategy that is designed to exploit our loyalty.

The marketing strategy has to take into account that the core support has numerous other competing attractions for their cash nowadays compared to the 50s, 60s and 70s.