Improving Scottish Football - Suggestions? - Page 3 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Improving Scottish Football - Suggestions?

How long have the club kept up the initiative. It takes several years for people behaviours to turn round. Going back to the Ice Hockey example its taken several seasons of a few folk going, having a good night and telling their mates. A few more go to the next game and repeat.

The Scottish football authorities have been pissing on fans for over a decade and now its starting to get to the crunch point

I agree that better pricing is part of the solution. But it's not fitbaw costing £23 rather than £20 that has seen attendances fall.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

100% agree, but stick some seats in a couple of them while we're at it.

If a wee country like Norway can have a facility like this surely we could have at the least a more modest version:-

Telenor_Arena_panorama.jpg

Imagine a wild howling day like today, but several thousand fans comfortably indoors, roaring noise under the roof and enjoying a couple of beers in the process. Would be a really memorable day/night out...

Ownership and management of their own natural resources enabling them to spend money on what they think is important for their people.

With apologies for highlighting this statement from your longer post, but the SFA have done exactly that, and failed so abysmally to the extent that they are now alienating their core support with a marketing strategy that is designed to exploit our loyalty.

The marketing strategy has to take into account that the core support has numerous other competing attractions for their cash nowadays compared to the 50s, 60s and 70s.

OK, more specifically get somebody competent from outside to run the marketing. Some key members of the current team come from league clubs. Petting Zoo anyone (if you understand that story).

I agree with the second part hence my comment about google/amazon.

I agree that better pricing is part of the solution. But it's not fitbaw costing £23 rather than £20 that has seen attendances fall.

Don't know about that, Parkie.

My own club charged £17 in April 2013 in the old first division.

Even although we were promoted that year, how can a 30% increase in the 18 or so months since then to £22 be justified in these economic times?

People have a cut off point where they decide it is no longer value for money, and I have the distinct impression that this season SPFL clubs are realising the worm has turned on them.

Have attended u19s games with a better match-day experience than anywhere in Scotland.

Look at stadia around Europe; Many have bars and restaurants built in to the stadium or in the immediate vicinity.

Seems like the menality of fans here is in and oot of the match. Which will tie in with the drinking ban. Who wants to kick around a stadium after the final whistle has gone if there's no entertainment?

We used to go to Firhill early and leave at 8pm when the bar was in the Jackie Husband stand. Highlights of previous games before and afterwards the scores coming in and highlights of the game that had just happened. It was almost like a social/bowling-type club. When they started changing the rules due to police advice by closing the bar earlier, having cops breathing down your neck and making you leave the bar to queue up again, we packed it in.

That's an experience we were better off without.

Grounds in Scotland aren't really built with the social aspect in mind. Not many places fans could congregate at Firhill (or the majority of stadia in Scotland) and the police would be having none of it anyway. No drinking in the streets after all.

Parklife... I also agree that £3 makes a difference. This year it's 3 quid, next year it's another 3 quid and three years down the line your ticket is up almost a tenner. There's a limit everyone will pay for tickets and Scottish fitba' is seriously approaching that for me.

Have attended u19s games with a better match-day experience than anywhere in Scotland.

Look at stadia around Europe; Many have bars and restaurants built in to the stadium or in the immediate vicinity.

Seems like the menality of fans here is in and oot of the match. Which will tie in with the drinking ban. Who wants to kick around a stadium after the final whistle has gone if there's no entertainment?

We used to go to Firhill early and leave at 8pm when the bar was in the Jackie Husband stand. Highlights of previous games before and afterwards the scores coming in and highlights of the game that had just happened. It was almost like a social/bowling-type club. When they started changing the rules due to police advice by closing the bar earlier, having cops breathing down your neck and making you leave the bar to queue up again, we packed it in.

That's an experience we were better off without.

Grounds in Scotland aren't really built with the social aspect in mind. Not many places fans could congregate at Firhill (or the majority of stadia in Scotland) and the police would be having none of it anyway. No drinking in the streets after all.

Parklife... I also agree that £3 makes a difference. This year it's 3 quid, next year it's another 3 quid and three years down the line your ticket is up almost a tenner. There's a limit everyone will pay for tickets and Scottish fitba' is seriously approaching that for me.

Get rid of the Jags,

In terms of pricing Motherwell aggressively slashed prices 15+ years ago and it did not work.

Comparing football to other activities can be misleading as the old "it's cheaper to go to the pictures" line gets trotted out but if you compare Partick Thistle it costs £22 for 1 adult and 2 kids as all Under 16's are free. Compare that with Cineworld in city centre and it's £24.20 or £28.40 depending on movie time for the cinema. I've got a season ticket which gives me 5 free home games and deals on hospitality which I think is a good deal. Often I'll shoot up to the game and straight back spending zero on extras minus couple quid on half time draw instead of bookies. Compare other prices like concerts at The Hydro which are usually £40, £60 up to £100!. Still Game I thought was extortionate.

Finally Thistle have a small budget and the players are on relatively low wages below a middle manager professional so they have to charge £22. It's all about breaking even. They have no other choice.

Motherwell did cut prices, but as I said it was one off games, not a sustained cheaper price, so it would be £5 one week, or bring a friend free, then back to £20 the next.

You're cinema example is a bit if an unfair example, if you and your wife went to the cinema, you'd get change from £20, if you both went to fir hill, you wouldn't quite get one of you in for that. (Also the free kids doesn't include away fans)

As for comparisons to still game or the infamous David guetta concert, these sort of things are a one off, you maybe do a couple if times a year if you're lucky.

Nobody is expected to go to 20,30 even 40 concerts a year!

It looks like we agree that summer final and the whole match day experience are the 2 biggest factors, as thirdly Maine it more affordable, buy more so fort there dad and 2 sons attending than they individual fan.

Get it right and they will come.

In terms of pricing Motherwell aggressively slashed prices 15+ years ago and it did not work.

Comparing football to other activities can be misleading as the old "it's cheaper to go to the pictures" line gets trotted out but if you compare Partick Thistle it costs £22 for 1 adult and 2 kids as all Under 16's are free. Compare that with Cineworld in city centre and it's £24.20 or £28.40 depending on movie time for the cinema. I've got a season ticket which gives me 5 free home games and deals on hospitality which I think is a good deal. Often I'll shoot up to the game and straight back spending zero on extras minus couple quid on half time draw instead of bookies. Compare other prices like concerts at The Hydro which are usually £40, £60 up to £100!. Still Game I thought was extortionate.

Finally Thistle have a small budget and the players are on relatively low wages below a middle manager professional so they have to charge £22. It's all about breaking even. They have no other choice.

PARTICK THISTLE only let HOME KIDS FANS in for free.. don't let this myth continue.... 32 quid for me and my two kids last, and only , time I was there, Will never go back.

The Pictures on an Sat, is 150- 350 if you Sat am or lunch time.,..

Cinema season tix costs 15 pounds per month

compare like with like.

Football is overpriced and Thistle treat away fans like sh!te....

Lets start with £50million funding from the UK government.Oh no thats just for England.

Sport is devolved so Scottish Government can spend £50 million if it wants. It could even raise anew tax. Loads of options and power.

Sport is devolved so Scottish Government can spend £50 million if it wants. It could even raise anew tax. Loads of options and power.

I am not sure about that... if it is devolved why don't we have our own athletics team.... why cant we enter athletics competitions (except commonwealth) we had to ask the Smith commission if this was ok, ( they haven't replied) so if we had the power we would do it, don't let the press fool u into thinking we were given lots of power last month....

ps 55% with total population is around 47... :ok:

Edited by stocky

It looks like we agree that summer final and the whole match day experience are the 2 biggest factors, as thirdly Maine it more affordable, buy more so fort there dad and 2 sons attending than they individual fan.

Get it right and they will come.

No, we definitely don't?? A competitve (and fresh) league and enhanced match day experience are what we are looking for. Get these two right and things will improve. Summer football would be sh1t (in my opinion!).

If your team is "fortunate" enough to qualify for Europe you now get summer football...

The season is too long IMO, a 16 team top league playing 30 games is more than sufficient.

The old "we need 4 home games against the Old Firm to survive" mantra has clearly been destroyed in recent seasons. OK clubs may lose a bit of revenue by losing a couple of home games but I think making matches less frequent and introducing more variety in the opposition would encourage more walk up customers...

Edited by Toepoke

I think a bit more variety would spice things up, stmirren away is already a bit of a Groundhog Day after about 4 years? rugby park, yawn, and I'm sure their fans feel the same about a trip to Fir park.

Don't worry, you'll get to see different grounds next season. :wink2:

I've always thought that hospitality is too expensive too. I looked into it for my girlfriend's Christmas last year and it was very expensive for what appeared to be not very much. If clubs were to make it more affordable, particularly in bad weather, then perhaps there would be a greater uptake.

I am not sure about that... if it is devolved why don't we have our own athletics team.... why cant we enter athletics competitions (except commonwealth) we had to ask the Smith commission if this was ok, ( they haven't replied) so if we had the power we would do it, don't let the press fool u into thinking we were given lots of power last month....

ps 55% with total population is around 47... :ok:

was under the impression sport was/is devolved prior to referendum

I've been to ibrox a few times!

:P

Yeah, could probably do a good turn offering a deal for existing fans to "upgrade" for a game and try it. Or as you say, it would be a good gift.

The cooper stand box I've been in was just a pay bar before the game, a programme, a pie and a couple of cakes at half time and your comfy seat behind the glass. There's not a massive cost there to the club, so be aswell to sell that for £40-50 a head instead of having it sit empty I'd have thought?

Different when you start talking 3 course meals and an open bar of course, but that's more for sponsors and the likes. (I got that for a game, but I was the designated driver :( )