League Expansion - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

League Expansion

Personally I'm all for a bigger league.

It's an unfortunate consequence that it might result in Hearts, Hibs and rangers all coming up to the top league next season! But as much fun as it would be to see them spend another season or so in the lower leagues, I'm in favour of a bigger top tier.

Dunno about this quote from Milne though:

"Without any doubt, none of us want to see three of our biggest clubs not being in the top league,"

Ha!

Aye, good point - I'm all for a bigger top league, but the season after next!

As you say, this season clubs knew they'd have to finish top, or triumph in the playoffs to get promoted.

If they approved the changes from the start of next season, for an enlarged top league in 2016/17 that would be fairer

16 team league with a shorter 30 game season would be fine by me...

That won't happen, as clubs will lose 4 home gates.

I'm not saying it's not a good idea, just that clubs are far too shortsighted to see that 15 interesting unique home games could be more marketable than 19 against the same 11 teams in the longer term.

I'm not saying it's not a good idea, just that clubs are far too shortsighted to see that 15 interesting unique home games could be more marketable than 19 against the same 11 teams in the longer term.

They could easily add games by having a league format for the league cup. The sooner we move to an 18 or 16 top league the better IMO :ok:

Shortsighted indeed.

Crowds are getting so low that home games must be getting close to loss making anyway.

Someone like me who doesn't go every week will probably still attend around the same number of games in a year, in fact possibly more if there is a better selection of away trips available.

One argument the last couple of years has blown out the water is that we need 4 Old Firm games a season...

Edited by Toepoke

One argument the last couple of years has blown out the water is that we need 4 Old Firm games a season...

Yeah, Motherwell will only have one this season, and it's been, bombed out both cups at the 1st hurdle too.

I'm like you, don't make as many games as I did 2-3 years ago, and would arguably go to more if there were less if that makes sense. Definitely more away games, never been to Starks park or Palmerston, so would like a chance to go to them... (Which may not require league reconstruction! :lol: )

Edited by sbcmfc

Shortsighted indeed.

Crowds are getting so low that home games must be getting close to loss making anyway.

Someone like me who doesn't go every week will probably still attend around the same number of games in a year, in fact possibly more if there is a better selection of away trips available.

You are spot on with this mate. You could still potentially get 4 meetings between clubs in a season anyway.

Would definitely support a bigger league although the format of it would be up for debate.

Milne is speaking as a business man and not a football man here.

He certainly doesn't speak for me when he says "none of us want to see three of our biggest clubs not being in the top league".

Teams should always play in the league they deserve to be in. There should never be any 'subtle' fast-track promotion.

There shouldn't be second votes or breaking the rules mid-season either. Something he knows all about.

But finishing inside the top 4 of the championship means they get promoted, IF Hibs or Rangers finish in those places then they are rightly one of the top 16 clubs in Scotland - therefore they will have earned their right to play in the new league of 16...

bring it on next season....

I think maq is a journalist,because he just made up a non event story with absolutely no reasoning to it.

To be fair, the headline does suggest the the Chairman of our debt free club (founded 1881) said so, despite the article not backing it up.