Darren Fletcher - Time To Move On? - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Darren Fletcher - Time To Move On?

Caledonian Craig

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think with fletch he has had to change his game since illness. Where as before he was a box to box midfielder who would run all game giving options when going forward and helping out defence when back but now he doesn't have the engine to do that hole game and instead is having to try and become a solid holding midfielder. I think he can fit this roll fine but he needs to get the game time to fully get into it so a move would probably be the best for him

Blind has the correct name.No way is he better than Fletch in this position.

Watched every United game this season. Blind much much better than Fletcher now, end of.

Time he moves on. Can't see him in a top side due to age but the likes of Stoke or Hull have been credited with interest in the past few weeks. Imagine he'll move in January if United get their midfield targets.

Depends on what is going on behind the scenes. If he isnt back to full health, I think he's better staying where he is and taking the protection of his current contract. IMO, no point in him trying to move on with clubs knowing his fitness and ill health makes him a risky investment. I presume Man United will continue to ensure he gets first class treatment.

If he's fully fit and health restored, then that's different and he might well want to look elsewhere. Even if he does though, Im not convinced he's looking at a level where he'll be back to his best for Scotland.

Tough choice for him. :(

If he didn't fit in the plans he wouldn't be on the bench. He's just behind Blind on the teamsheet. No shame in that.

It comes down to how much he wants to play. He seems like a loyal guy and has been at utd since he was a boy, so i'd be a little surprised if he didn't stick it out and do the job they want him to do.

As for him playing for Scotland. I'm one of those who has been alittle underwhelmed by his career for us. Should be be in the squad, yes. He's better than McArthur no question. Is he better than Mulgrew? Maybe.. but i'm not convinced it's worth breaking up the partnership of Brown and Mulgrew in the middle to fit him in. They compliment each other well and give us more together than they do individually.

If he didn't fit in the plans he wouldn't be on the bench. He's just behind Blind on the teamsheet. No shame in that.

It comes down to how much he wants to play. He seems like a loyal guy and has been at utd since he was a boy, so i'd be a little surprised if he didn't stick it out and do the job they want him to do.

As for him playing for Scotland. I'm one of those who has been alittle underwhelmed by his career for us. Should be be in the squad, yes. He's better than McArthur no question. Is he better than Mulgrew? Maybe.. but i'm not convinced it's worth breaking up the partnership of Brown and Mulgrew in the middle to fit him in. They compliment each other well and give us more together than they do individually.

I would agree with much of that. Yes and you are right that he is still in plans but more as a squad player I'd say and it would take injuries or a monumental effort for him to break back into their first team in my opinion. He would be better biting the bullet and moving on.

Mulgrew is slow and lacking at international level. Comparing Fletcher to him is frankly ridiculous.

In his defence? Mulgrew has cplayed hampions league, europa league, captained celtic and won player of the year when playing centre half. Still not a bad player and can cross a ball.

To say he canny really do a job for scotland against ireland,poland,gibraltar and georgia is a bit harsh, at least give him a chance

Mulgrew is slow and lacking at international level. Comparing Fletcher to him is frankly ridiculous.

Is fletcher quicker than mulgrew? really? neither are speed merchants, but i'd actually be surprised if fletch was the quicker of the two.

Mulgrew has a better understanding with Brown, they're club mates and played together a fair few times for us as well.

He's spend much of strachan's reign playing defensive mid for us, and successfully so.

He's a fair bit taller than fletcher and so more useful in both boxes.

His dead ball delivery is better than probably anyone else in the squad.

Fletch is an underperforming 'big name' player who can't get a first team game and has barely kicked a ball in years.

It might sound like i'm being brutal on Fletch, but that's the reality right now.

The more I think about it the less of a question there is. Fletch should be a bench player for Scotland right now.

Is fletcher quicker than mulgrew? really? neither are speed merchants, but i'd actually be surprised if fletch was the quicker of the two.

Mulgrew has a better understanding with Brown, they're club mates and played together a fair few times for us as well.

He's spend much of strachan's reign playing defensive mid for us, and successfully so.

Fletch is an underperforming 'big name' player who can't get a first team game and has barely kicked a ball in years.

It might sound like i'm being brutal on Fletch, but that's the reality right now.

The more I think about it the less of a question there is. Fletch should be a bench player for Scotland right now.

I don't have a problem with Mulgrew and Brown playing in the middle for us either. Fletcher (until he gets first team football again) is not really the man you'd want starting for us as you'd fear rustiness or match fitness would cost us. He could still prove to be a big player for us if he can move on and resurrect his career elsewhere though.

Mulgrew is a decent centre half and the distribution from his left peg is excellent. He should be a shoe in for every squad. Comparing the two playing midfield at their peak is absurd though. Fletcher at his best is box to box with an excellent range of passing who was a leader for us. I have no idea if he will recapture his former however and would play neither at the moment.

I'm going to predict he'll be back regular in the starting XI before Christmas.

He's had more game time than Fellaini this season.

Fellaini has been injured from just before the transfer window, so I wouldn't read too much into that to be honest. I'm more interested in Fletcher's game time since Blind arrived which equates to 25 mins.

Even in the Everton game LVG brought on Fellaini ahead of him to try and beef up the midfield.

Yes ParisInAKilt he must remind himself he is no longer a young pup and perhaps only has another three or four years as a footballer (five or six at an absolute push). He must realise Uited are overhauling their squad and it is more likely than not new players will get their chance before he will. I am sure if he were to look elsewhere a number of 'lesser' EPL clubs would be interested. He either stays put and hopes a chance comes his way which I would say is more unlikely than likely or moves on and gets a fresh start and chances to show what he can still do.

Most people here were writing off Naismith a couple of seasons ago. It might take him a whole season of training and playing a few games to get back to full fitness. It took Naismith a couple of years to get to where he is now after his knee surgery. His fitness progress might be accelerated by going to a lesser club, but we don't really know the full story.

Fellaini is not a good defensive midfielder IMO. Who's to say Blind doesn't pick up an injury? Fletcher will get his chance again soon.

Well Van Gaal evidently does not see Fletcher as a go to option so I can't see that changing. If anything he will slip further down the pecking order when Van Gaal signs more players.