Davie Cooper - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Davie Cooper

Johnny_Ham

Aye cause international caps is the primary indicator as to how good a player is/was.......

you are correct

quality of free kicks and penalties and of course grainy super 8 glasgow cup goals beiing another

roxburgh was indeed quoted in the record pre wc 90 about wanting to take Cooper because of his ability in free kicks and corners...

he was past his prime by then, and only injury i feel made roxburghs mind up , otherwise he would have been happy to keep the legions happy

the 1-3 reverse at home to egypt should have served as a wake up call pre WC how bad we were

durrant would have made no appreciable difference either at that stage

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you are correct

quality of free kicks and penalties and of course grainy super 8 glasgow cup goals beiing another

roxburgh was indeed quoted in the record pre wc 90 about wanting to take Cooper because of his ability in free kicks and corners...

he was past his prime by then, and only injury i feel made roxburghs mind up , otherwise he would have been happy to keep the legions happy

the 1-3 reverse at home to egypt should have served as a wake up call pre WC how bad we were

durrant would have made no appreciable difference either at that stage

That game was why DC dropped out of the running for Italia 90.

Davie Cooper, is the greatest ever Scottish born player, I have seen play, and at my age, I have seen a few.

True he could me moody, and at times lazy, but my god when he turned it on, he was unstopable.

I respect your opinion, but KennyDal was always a class above the excellent player that DC was when the mood took him.

Wonderful player that was totally unstoppable when he was on song. Just didn't hit his best often enough. Lack of pace meant he should have been in the hole not on the wing but that wasn't the style when he played.

Templeton should be made to watch Cooper videos every day to see if it rubs off on the useless git.

Cooper was as good as Laudrup at beating players but without Brian's pace.

Cooper scored one of the greatest free kicks I've ever seen against us in the '87-88 Skol Cup Final. From the edge of the 'D' he took a couple of steps and hit it so hard it had hit the net and bounced before Jim Leighton even moved. I was in the South Stand right in line with the 18 yard box and I still vividly remember the sound of the ball ripping down the back of the net and bouncing before anyone in the stadium could react.

I was sitting pretty near you!

The guy was my hero when I was at school, some of his performances were incredible. Could be very moody though. John Grieg was always dropping him, I mind my dad taking me to see him play for the reserves against Hibs at Ibrox (while the first team were at Easter Road). It was when Jock Wallace returned to Ibrox that he seemed to get a boot in the erse and started producing the goods on a more consistent basis, which culminated in him becoming a Scotland regular.

Hard to say how he would do in today's game. He was incredibly one footed, couldn't tackle, was hopeless in the air and never tracked back. I'm struggling to think of a modern comparison tbh.

As mentioned he seemed a bit of Jekyll and Hyde character on and off the pitch. I've heard stories about him being the nicest guy, but also of him being a bit of a bigot sadly. He was from Lanarkshire mind you.

I went to his funeral and stood in the crowds outside, the only time I've done that for someone I didn't know.

Edited by Toepoke

Remember 1981 cup final replay when he won cup for Gers almost single handedly. Bad day for us Arabs. Saw him live many times and he is by far the best most one footed player I have seen. I could never get my head round why the full backs he was up against could not work him out with only one foot

Saw him live many times and he is by far the best most one footed player I have seen. I could never get my head round why the full backs he was up against could not work him out with only one foot

His dribbling style was bizarre, the ball appeared to be attached by a string to his left foot. He could probably have played just as well with a wooden right leg!

Davie Cooper was that lazy but brilliant player that everyone knows could have made it but didn't, but who actually did make it.

Its impossible to know what would have motivated Cooper to fulfill his potential thats why he was such an enigma.

He should have went down south but what Rangers were paying seemed to be enough for him.

Towards the end of the middle of his career he benefitted from being around really good players for the first time, and he raised his game accordingly.

The Souness era, and his time at Motherwell, really changed his outlook, all of a sudden he was on TV doing analysis whereas before he wasn't interested in talking to anyone.

Was it shyness or laziness, I don't think anyone ever really worked out Davie Cooper, but for me he was just one of these players caught inbetween eras, on the wrong team, with the wrong attitude for too long. He made me want to play football though, because on the right day in the right frame of mind, it was mesmerising.

Smashing player. The last true winger (in the traditional sense) that we have had.

Unbelievable ball control and could beat his man easily without seeming to accelerate. Not the most consistent performer but name a winger who is. Definitely the most skillful Scottish player I have witnessed in the flesh.

He could easily have played at the highest level with anyone in England. Might have been better for his overall development as a player. His loyalty to (a mostly turgid) Rangers definitely held him back.

Like the above guys I was also at Hampden in 1987 and was the opposite side in the terracing Section M. The noise of the ball lashing the net was audible even from half way up the terrace.

Used to play 5s directly after him and his pals at Larkhall Leisure Center back in the day.

The best ever Scottish performance I have seen live was Scotland running Spain ragged in a 3-1 victory at Hampden in 1984. My enduring memory was of Davie Cooper, with a double shimmy wrong footing the whole of the Spanish defence.

Aye - that was his best performance for Scotland, was at that game & still in my teens, i truly believe Scotland would have beaten any team in the world that night, Cooper, Dalglish & Mo Johnston where outstanding

Happy Memories That :ok:

I never saw Davie Cooper play and he died when I was very young but looking through the footage of him on YouTube what would we give to have a player like him available for Scotland today ?

He looks to have been a truly wonderful football player.

I may have read this wrong but wasn't he touted by a couple of newspapers in 1978 as potential wildcard for the World Cup that year ?

Is it true though, about him being outraged by Mo Johnson's signing for Rangers as he thought it broke a certain "club traditions" he considered important ? Hope it's not true.