Jack Harper - Page 10 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Jack Harper

Mabozza Ritchie

Harper had two years left on his contract in Spain but opted to depart after the club scrapped its ‘C’ team. The ‘C’ team would have been the next step up for Harper, who was born in February 1996, after departing the Juvenil A side, effectively Madrid’s Under-19s. He was offered a contract with Castilla, Madrid’s ‘B’ team, and the opportunity to go out on loan this season, but instead chose to continue his career elsewhere.

why on earth would anyone turn that down ? in the B team getting managed by ZIDANE and with the chance to go out on loan to get first team football rather than sign for a bang average championship team with a gash manager and squad.

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In short I'd say don't blame Brighton if he fails to impress and take it that we thought he was better than he is.

Think its just the Scottish mind set...... Young player at a big club = made it/finished article! ie Robbie Foy and Alex Notman etc.......

Edited by wanderer

He's had 6 years development in Spain - a few years in the UK will do him no harm. He will go back to La Liga a better player, ready for international football.

Fabregas moved to England at around 16 and never harmed him technique.

Not the most exciting of moves but he's only 19 and it's a chance for first team football in a competitive league. Let's see how he does.

ParisInAKilt, on 23 Jul 2015 - 11:50 AM, said:

Fabregas moved to England at around 16 and never harmed him technique.

Not the most exciting of moves but he's only 19 and it's a chance for first team football in a competitive league. Let's see how he does.

I guess. I think it's just frustrating to see one of our brightest young hopes in years sign for a middle of the road Championship team.

why on earth would anyone turn that down ? in the B team getting managed by ZIDANE and with the chance to go out on loan to get first team football rather than sign for a bang average championship team with a gash manager and squad.

Because Zidane hasn't proven to be a particularly good coach so far (Castilla were woeful last year) and the Segunda B is a horrible, horrible league? Pitch quality varies from terrible to worse, and it's packed with disgruntled failed pros who like nothing better than to kick lumps out a young, attacking player who keeps going past them.

I agree that it's surprising he turned down Castilla, but lingering there for a couple of years before being pushed on elsewhere (we don't know how good the loan option was) isn't neccesarily better than going somewhere where he'll at least play against a decent level.

Edited by zappafan

Look Zappafan if you think this move to Brighton is going to kill his career you must have a damn low opinion of him. If he has the talent like we think then he'd friggin' shine if he was playing on the moon. If he is the business he will be at Brighton for no longer than a year before moving on to a bigger club. This is his chance to shine in first team football so lets see how he does.

Look Zappafan if you think this move to Brighton is going to kill his career you must have a damn low opinion of him. If he has the talent like we think then he'd friggin' shine if he was playing on the moon. If he is the business he will be at Brighton for no longer than a year before moving on to a bigger club. This is his chance to shine in first team football so lets see how he does.

I didn't say anything of the sort (you've just invented that for yourself). It's utter nonsense that he somehow needs to relearn how to play football in England to play for us, that's my point.

Looking at competition for a place in the Brighton, they really are crying out for a goal scorer.... got strikers who barely make more than 10 goals person.... they have recently signed a Israeli international striker who has no real scoring pedigree about him and have also signed a 20 year old kid from Finland as well today.

Looking at competition for a place in the Brighton, they really are crying out for a goal scorer.... got strikers who barely make more than 10 goals person.... they have recently signed a Israeli international striker who has no real scoring pedigree about him and have also signed a 20 year old kid from Finland as well today.

sounds a like a team on the up

sounds a like a team on the up

Or the perfect team for a 19 year old striker to go in to and show what he can do if given a chance (which he will have more of a opportunity to do so).

It is a massive step down in terms in club, but probably a step up in terms of league he will be playing in (my only experience of Spanish lower leagues has been UD Lanzarote v Tenerife B in the 4th division, and it was brutal... and I have followed AFC Wimbledon right through the English pyramid system)

Or the perfect team for a 19 year old striker to go in to and show what he can do if given a chance (which he will have more of a opportunity to do so).

It is a massive step down in terms in club, but probably a step up in terms of league he will be playing in (my only experience of Spanish lower leagues has been UD Lanzarote v Tenerife B in the 4th division, and it was brutal... and I have followed AFC Wimbledon right through the English pyramid system)

You're right. Once you drop down below the second division in Spain the change is astounding. That's why so many teams dread going down there - it's notoriously difficult to get back up.

Harper should be applauded for wanting to get first team football and going to a club where he will improve physically to add to the technical game. Brighton haven't been far away from the Premier League either, the two seasons before last they were in the playoffs so it's not a "step-down" from the level he would've been at if he remained at Madrid.

There seems to be a few people who want him to fail for some reason.

We'll only know in a year or 2 whether this is a good move or not.

If he gets games, impresses and shines in the league, he could move back to a more glamourous club.

He might get some games without standing out and find this is his level.

He might struggle to get games and have to drop further down the league's for games.

At the same age as Harper is now, Faddy and Fletcher were playing for Scotland. Harper was left out our under 19s squad recently.

I think Harper will make it, but he has a lot to prove. I'll be following Brighton closely this season.

Edited by PASTA Mick

People saying he needs first team football, do you not realise thats why they were going to loan him out in Spain. Id much rather he was getting games in La Liga than in the championship, which is prettt dire.

We'll only know in a year or 2 whether this is a good move or not.

If he gets games, impresses and shines in the league, he could move back to a more glamourous club.

He might get some games without standing out and find this is his level.

He might struggle to get games and have to drop further down the league's for games.

At the same age as Harper is now, Faddy and Fletcher were playing for Scotland. Harper was left out our under 19s squad recently.

I think Harper will make it, but he has a lot to prove. I'll be following Brighton closely this season.

This.

As soon as we discover there is a Scottish youngster at a massive club, we suddenly ping all hopes on them of being the next great hope..... and arguably, only Darren Fletcher is the only one of note in last few decades to actually make it.

Guys like Robbie Foy, Michael Stewart, Alex Notman, Steven Watt etc were all viewed as the future of the Scotland team, and none of them made a dent in the system......

Was asking a lot of Harper to make the first team at Real, so was always going to have to make the step down, but if half as good as what his coaches have said he is, he should still shine in the Championship (which is still a good level to be at, considering that is where the likes of Anya, Marshall, Ritchie, Russell, May, Rhodes, Hanley etc have been biding their time, and where McGregor, Robertson and Snodgrass will be this season)

Edited by wanderer

personally cant see what all the fuss is about here.

A young lad with a bit of talent finds himself in the right place at the right time.

Gets in the Real Madrid boys team good on him.

Now wants to earn some cash and has moved to England lower tier to start his professional career.

Nothing spectacular there wish him all the best.

As pointed out D Fletcher was I think Scotland captain at his age ?