Singapore / Kho Samui / Bangkok - General Travel - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Singapore / Kho Samui / Bangkok

The Kilt

It really depends what your after. I've been to Koh Samui 3 times and by the last time (about 10 years ago) Chaweng was becoming more and more commercial and just full of Western tourists. I'd recommend staying in somewhere like Lamai or Bophut which are still relatively lively without being as commercial as Chaweng, plus they are both relatively close if you do want to pop in to Chaweng for the day/evening.

I'd also recommend getting over to Koh Phangnan for a Full Moont Party if you can. It's like an old school rave on a beautiful beach and just a fantastic night. If you do go over try and stay the night before and after the FMP as the night before is so much more chilled out and it's good to see the place before the hordes descend and you'll need the night after to recover!

Singapore:

Night safari and go to Din Tai Fung for Dim Sum (it is a chain so lots of options). Go to Sentosa Island, go to Universal Studios, go on the Transformers Ride, get off and repeat many times. Nothing else worth visiting there.

Apart from that, mehhhh...although I do know a place that does the best deep fried paneer, but it is way out of town.

Bangkok:

Ride on a motorcycle taxi, avoid tuk tuks, avoid thai boxing, buy a tazer from Patpong market, watch some excellent cover bands, visit nana plaza.

Koh Phangnan:

If I never go back there again it will be too soon. Only good for mushroom shakes and getting out your tits smoking up The Amsterdam bar.

Only been once but the two things that stick in my mind the most about Bangkok are the street food and Lumpini Park. We stayed near Siam Square, there were street food vendors/roadside cafes everywhere. Loved that. We also went jogging each morning at about 6am, before it got too hot, hotel was near Lumpini Park so headed there. We were amazed to find hundreds of locals there at that time doing all kinds of exercises. Nice park right in the middle of a vast, sprawling city, peaceful and relatively cool at that time of the day. And also muckle big Monitor Lizards lounging around in the early morning sunshine.

The other thing I'd recommend is a day tour on foot, where you get taken around the major sights by a guide. The two of us did it it, we were taken around on public transport (boat, bus, tuk tuk etc.) and it was a great introduction.

To be honest I preferred Chang Mei and Khao Lak, but really enjoyed Bangkok too. Hope you have a great time.

Like HMcG says above, it does make a big difference depending on what age you are and what you are into.

In Bangkok, and many other places in Thailand, you can have two completely different experiences. I've done both.

If you are into sightseeing then I would recommend heading up to Angkor Wat in Cambodia - stunning place. But I wouldn't recommend any amount of time in Phnom Penh

I've spent a lot of time in Singapore, and it really don't warrant any more than a stopover. If I went back there it would be to eat only in some great restaurants I went to (and Transformers Ride!!).

If you are young and want to party, then Koh Phangnan and Samuai, and the other Islands down there, are the place to go.

Bangkok

See Lizards in the park catch (large) fish

Go to see some of temples down the river on the water taxi (not the tourist boat which is about x10 more expensive)

Beer drink Leo, not Singha or Chang :barf:

Food - Eat lots and lots and then eat some more.

and another for avoid tuk tuks, try to avoid wearing red t-shirts, if you drop money don't stand on it to stop it blowing/rolling away. :wink2:

Singapore

Go to the Zoo

Eat lots and drink Tiger from the wee street cafes.

Something worth doing if you're in Bangkok is going a day trip 100km north up to Kanchanaburi, where the bridge over the River Kwai is. The train journey is breathtaking, as the train clings to mountains and cliff-sides, walk over the bridge (as long as their are no trains coming), and spend some time in the town's war museum and also in the Allied war cemetery.

A sobering day, but one I've never forgotten.

• 1 month later...

spent a week in singapore 20 years back on way to Aus ; zoo was probably highlight of the trip[ - more a safari park

- mind the beer being really expensive ; on a backpacker budget... we waited til 10pm happy hour at Bugis ? little india area

did semtosa island , and change museum , kanchaburri /river kwai , as interested in the war history

ditto comments on koh samui , usually just a stop off for pha ngan and kao tao

bangkok always reminds me of bladerunner for some reason, got scammed by a tuk tuk driver on first trip there , fresh off the boat...

the water taxi was good i mind (used to have to go to GPO to pick up forwarded mail ; life is simpler now)

If you're looking for a nice quiet time in Samui then The Siam Residence on the west cost (Lipa Noi) is fantastic and relatively cheap - about 30min from Airport. You have a big villa to yourself and the pool is big as well so even if all the villa's are full (there are only 9) then you'll still have space. Decent food and staff are really friendly - cracking little place. You can rent bikes from there and venture as much or as little as you like

• 2 weeks later...

too much travel ?

Bangkok (1) Kho Tao (1) Kho Phangan (2) Kho Samui (1) Krabi (1) Phuket (1) Chaing Mai (5) Bangkok (1)

travelling with friends and that is whwat they are planning

I'd say that's way too much. By the time you travel to some of the places you're only spending one night at you'll hardly have any time there.

too much travel ?

Bangkok (1) Kho Tao (1) Kho Phangan (2) Kho Samui (1) Krabi (1) Phuket (1) Chaing Mai (5) Bangkok (1)

It all really depends on what age you are and what you are looking for. But without doubt too much.

You could easily spend that time in Bangkok alone.

If young and like to party then spend a Full Moon or Half moon in Kho Phangan - you'll need at least 1 day full day recovery from that alone.

I'd dump Kho Samui and Phuket and either Kho Tao or Krabi (or both).

5 days in Chaing Mai - that seems along time, however I have never been there.

If you go to these islands, the whole point is to chill out, get involved with what is going on and having fun. With that plan you would be getting up early, travelling, arrive, sort out what you are doing, then you are away again in a few hours. Not fun.

Edited by Brummie Hibs

Something worth doing if you're in Bangkok is going a day trip 100km north up to Kanchanaburi, where the bridge over the River Kwai is. The train journey is breathtaking, as the train clings to mountains and cliff-sides, walk over the bridge (as long as their are no trains coming), and spend some time in the town's war museum and also in the Allied war cemetery.

A sobering day, but one I've never forgotten.

+1 I'm just back from Cha Am and the trip i did up to The River Kwai was one of the highlights.

It all really depends on what age you are and what you are looking for. But without doubt too much.

You could easily spend that time in Bangkok alone.

If young and like to party then spend a Full Moon or Half moon in Kho Phangan - you'll need at least 1 day full day recovery from that alone.

I'd dump Kho Samui and Phuket and either Kho Tao or Krabi (or both).

5 days in Chaing Mai - that seems along time, however I have never been there.

If you go to these islands, the whole point is to chill out, get involved with what is going on and having fun. With that plan you would be getting up early, travelling, arrive, sort out what you are doing, then you are away again in a few hours. Not fun.

thanks - Chang Mai was meant to be for Hill Tribe treking

thinking to bin some of those days and add them to the islands

friends 22 year old daughter was doing the organising and think she has went off at a tangent

too much travel ?

That's almost impossible. I don't see the point. Go South or North of Bangkok. Too many Islands on 1 trip, and Chaing Mai as well :wtf: You'll spend more time on transport and see/experience nothing.

Same Same ... but Differant :wink2:

• 2 weeks later...

too much travel ?

I'd say that's way too much. By the time you travel to some of the places you're only spending one night at you'll hardly have any time there.

agreed way too much. Samui and Phangan are on the other side of the thai peninsula as well from Krabi and phuket. then chang mai is right up inland. seems like madness to me. one of the best bits of the islands is the chance to chill out a bit. even getting to kho tao from bankok will take most of the day surely?