B A Executive Club - General Travel - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

B A Executive Club

Toepoke

Just got sent this in an email regarding BA reward flights:-

http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/executive-club/club-changes

Well p'd off with that, now having to pay for UK domestic connections. Utter pish unless you live near Heathrow!

Just booked up 2 holidays for the summer using them and pleased I did....

Edited by Toepoke

Quite a bit of seethe on the Scotsman...

http://www.scotsman.com/news/transport/ba-passengers-to-pay-to-use-air-miles-1-3672439

Really don't see the point in using my Avios credit card after April now. We like using the miles to visit family in Germany but it'll now prove more cost effective just flying direct with a budget airline from Scotland....

Just been reading about it, really poor stuff. Also the cut to the points earned on a cheap ticket is a big loss to normal travellers.

so instead of 9000 return its now 16,000 off peak, 18,000 peak?

One small thing is if you book before 28th april you get the old rates so 11 months worth of bookings

Comparing the cost of flights to a European destination if you're just buying a ticket starting from Glasgow and then starting from Heathrow, then the connection from Glasgow sets you back around an extra £30. But book with air miles in future and your connection will cost you an extra 4500 Avios (around £90 worth) plus £17.50 reward flight saver.

Some reward!

Edited by Toepoke

Comparing the cost of flights to a European destination if you're just buying a ticket starting from Glasgow and then starting from Heathrow, then the connection from Glasgow sets you back around an extra £30. But book with air miles in future and your connection will cost you an extra 4500 Avios (around £90 worth) plus £17.50 reward flight saver.

Some reward!

this is not good.

need to rethink if avios is worthwhile..... may book a few before changing date

• 2 weeks later...

this is not good.

need to rethink if avios is worthwhile..... may book a few before changing date

Going to sort out a weekend away with the missus next spring before the booking window closes in April. One last chance to go Club Europe before we get priced out.

Any other Avios options from GLA/EDI?

Going to sort out a weekend away with the missus next spring before the booking window closes in April. One last chance to go Club Europe before we get priced out.

Any other Avios options from GLA/EDI?

Just booked Rome for a spell in May.

• 3 weeks later...

I have just booked Avios flights for several more games. Using them up while I can (but still have 200,000 which will lose value massively come April). In the past it has been interesting to use BA for travel as they treated me well and I got lots of almost free flights Avios flights - last 17 or 18 Scotland games (home and away) have been paid for with Avios points at £35 return. I am now booked up for all currently announced games on points. I wont be rushing to get BA flights any more. In the past, the points have been really useful but now worthless unless you go business. Goodbye BA... probably Hello Easyjet at least they do what they say on the tin!

I have just booked Avios flights for several more games. Using them up while I can (but still have 200,000 which will lose value massively come April). In the past it has been interesting to use BA for travel as they treated me well and I got lots of almost free flights Avios flights - last 17 or 18 Scotland games (home and away) have been paid for with Avios points at £35 return. I am now booked up for all currently announced games on points. I wont be rushing to get BA flights any more. In the past, the points have been really useful but now worthless unless you go business. Goodbye BA... probably Hello Easyjet at least they do what they say on the tin!

Aye, just booked up a few cheeky trips. Got Monaco for 9K and £30...bargain!

Ive slowly been building up my Avios miles and looking to book a few city breaks in coming months. Can you offer some advice? Is it just BA flights you can book or can you book through other airlines? I live up in Aberdeen and it appears that everything I book has a connection in London through BA flights only.

Nearly all Euoropean destinations require a London connection with Avios.

The good news is you don't pay any extra for the London connection. The bad news is that they are changing that so that you DO pay for the first flight out of Scotland - you have until April 28 to get booked on the original terms, after that Avios are rubbish unless you are just departing from London.

As noted above, the Headforpoints website is the bible for Avios offers/usage etc, and highlights any good stuff. For example, Edinburgh to Madrid direct with Iberia Express is 7500 avios and £20 one way. I'm using this option in the summer to connect to Menorca using Vueling or Ryanair. It means I can get me, the wife, and 2 kids out there for about £300.

Just booked for Athens at Hogmanay and also a trip to Brussels for the missus (seeing as I'm out there working). Getting them spent now before the value goes. Will need to give consideration now to what I do with my BA Amex and my tesco club card points. Any attractive alternatives out there?