New York - Scran - General Travel - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

New York - Scran

Fairbairn

Taking Mrs Fairbairn to NYC for our anniversary next month. We've both been a few times so know all the sightseeing tips etc but what I'm really after is somewhere nice to go for a bite to eat. New York is awash with restaurants to trying to find one online is a bit needle/haystack so I wondered if anyone had any particular recommendations? We're staying in Midtown not for from Penn Station and both like a good steak so somewhere that does a nice filet would be ideal!

If you can download the TripAdviser NYC App on your phone. It has loads of good restaurants, bars, cafes etc. and you can search the app based on where you are, type of food and use the map to find the places. (You don't even need mobile data on so no added cost). I found some cracking places on it when I was there.

If you can download the TripAdviser NYC App on your phone. It has loads of good restaurants, bars, cafes etc. and you can search the app based on where you are, type of food and use the map to find the places. (You don't even need mobile data on so no added cost). I found some cracking places on it when I was there.

Cheers.

I would second this, really is a brilliant app.

I recently ate at Dawat Madhur Jaffreys restaurant in East Midtown (58th & 3rd I think) - it was spectacular and incredibly reasonable for NYC... for some reason couple of mixed reviews on Trip Advisor but as a lover of Indian food this place was on a different level from most I've tried. I still get a funny feeling when I remember the lamb which they prepare a couple of days in advance...

Edited by UPROAR

My two, ai fiori, italian on 5th avenue, very pricey but classy and very good. For instance cheapest bottle of wine 80 dollars.

Also down in Greenwich try meatball shoppe, pretty cool place with some cool cats inside, plus the meatballs very nice with different ways to have them, think about 12 dollars a head, some nice beer too.

Had a very good pre-theatre steak at the Capital Grille in the Time Life building.

Would also recommend L'Ecole in SoHo - it's the restaurant of the International Culinary School (formerly the French Culinary School) so you get a three course lunch for $32 that will cost you at least twice that in a year's time when the students graduate.

And go to Juniors in Grand Central Terminal or just off Times Square for cheesecake :)

New York ; the city that never sleeps

unless its a Sunday night

may have changed ; but mind having a lot of trouble 20 yrs back trying to find places open on Sunday night past 9pm

Funnily enough, when a went a few weeks ago, the Sunday night we were out and bout in a few boozers in the Soho area and it was deed and there were quite a number of places shut.

• 3 weeks later...

Booked Gallagher's Steakhouse for the Sunday night. Their filet mignon crusted with bourbon soaked peppercorns sealed the deal!

I would really recommend this place to anyone visiting Manhattan. Both food and service were top notch.