Berlin - General Travel - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

TA Torr

Just back. Cracking place, been a few times.

Brandenburg gate, Jewish memorial and the Reichstag are all close to each other, you have to book the Reichstag, it's free and you get a good view at the top.

Jewish museum, topography of terror are 2 decent museums, heard palace of tears is good but it was closed the day we went.

Around checkpoint Charlie is good, street museum and bit of the Berlin wall are there.

I was recommended a place called the bird for food. It's just a beer/burger place but the burgers were the best I've ever tasted! You'll have to book before you go, just use there website.

Brilliant metro system, easy to get anywhere.

I went last year and done most of the stuff mentioned above, all very interesting. Also done a walking tour form a hotel called The Michelberger which was really good. Basically took you through all the graffiti of the city and gave a history of it and the squatting areas and art districts, definitely would recommend it. Union Berlin stadium is nice and there is a little social club that you can pop into for a jar.

In terms of night life, Simon-Dach-Straße is decent, couple of nice bars and restaurants and pretty lively. If you are into your techno then ye canna whack it. Berghain is worth the wait if you can be arsed, but when I went the wait was about two and a half hours but it was dynamite. Tresor is also excellent. You'll no go wrong in most places to be honest, in my experience it's arguably the best city in Europe. West Berlin is ok, but the East is a million times better and far more interesting and diverse where as the West, whilst still good, did feel a bit more like most cities in Europe.

One thing I would not recommend is the beer bike. I was on a stag there a couple of years ago. The best man had paid upfront for the trip and it was quite a bit, over 700 euros I think.

We had been out the night before and were about to get on when the owner produced a breathalyser kit. After breathalysing the stag and the best man, he told them they could not get on the beer bike as they were over the limit!!!!!!

The rest of us said don't bother in that case and we'll have our money back which he refused to do.

A full and frank exchange of views then ensued and we left without a refund but the guy got it back through his card.

The ara around Hackeschemarkt is lively with a 24 hour pub. There is a brauhaus called Bar Lemke nearby which is also good.

If you wander up to Oranienbergerstrasse there is a cracking wee boozer called Silberfisch open till 7 am. It has a knocking shop next door for those who are interested. Friendly bar staff in the pub.

I would recommend the English language walking tour from Zoo as it covers all the main points, is very interesting as well as educational and you end up near Alexanderplatz. The Park Inn at Alexanderplatz is handy for all the above mentioned bars and is remarkably good value. Try there or the Ramada as they are cheap as chips. Between the Ramada and the Park In. A Munich beer hall has opened up in the last year or so and its very good for both food nd drink.

Am going back for the beer festival in August. A mile of bars!

Berghain is a of a place to get into, I went twice, got in on the friday and got told no chance on the Saturday. It's genuinely dependent on the clobber you've got on, how you are acting etc, but if you do manage to get in, it's worth it on every conceivable level, it's one of the best experiences I have ever had.

Tresor on the other hand was a piece of piss to get into and is very enjoyable, not as good as Berghain, but if you can't get in it's a more than suitable alternative and isn't that far away.

If you want to do something a bit off the wall, no pun intended, you could go to the old Stasi prison which gives you a pretty grim insight into what life was like for political prisoners. Also toured the old Stasi HQ which was really interesting. If you are going to do that watch the Lives of Others first as some it was shot in the HQ