Brighton - General Travel - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Brighton

dandydunn

Great place, good bars, great eats, wide variety of things to do.

If you are into real ale i would recommend the Ginger Dog or the Heart in Hand though the latter is tiny. Both a wee walk out of the centre but worth to for the grub at the GD.

Dermot O'Leary's fish place is also good in the Lanes.

Also ate in a sushi bar called Mushi Mushi which was excellent.

Lived there for a year and loved it.

Agreed - good vibe to the place, especially in summer. Have been on a few day trips through with mrs neilser and our young son a few years back when in London for a summer holiday - nice to get out at the station and smell the sea air.

Big pebble beach with lots of restaurants, cafes and bars on the beach itself. There's also a pier that's still in use.

Like Aberdeen Angus says it's got a bohemian feel to it - the Lanes area close to the beach is worth a wander round.

I've been a few times, mainly for football but usually try to take in the seafront or do an overnighter if I get the chance.

I think it's a love it or hate it sort of place. The significant gay scene there does give it a different 'vibe' to many places you'd visit & there's no shortage of trendy bars & restaurants. It's easy to get stung for highly expensive exotic beers (by which I mean it happened to me once...14 effing quid for some fancy bottle) so check menu prices especially at the sea front bars.

The countryside round & about is nice to drive through & Lewes nearby has a couple of decent pubs in the town as do some of the little villages in the area.

Used to live and work in Brighton in 1986 before it became the gay capital of the world. Been back many times since and it really is a fantastic place (especially if you get the weather). Last time I was there was for the Scotland game at Craven Cottage. Stayed there rather than London. Some superb eating places and fantastic boozers.

Should've maybe said its a stagger were on,not that it should make much difference.

Problems of groups getting into places?

Doing the dog racing on the Saturday,never done that,so looking forward to it.

Thanks for replies so far. :ok:

• 2 weeks later...

Decent place here.

Difficult getting into places in Friday,but last night we all got Into a place called funfair,where not a single was given by the staff and we were allowed to run riot until about 5am.

It even had a ball pit,for some bizarre reason!!!