Glasgow - Night Before Germany Game - Page 2 - Scotland Home Games - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Glasgow - Night Before Germany Game

I'd guess on a Sunday only Oran Mor would have bouncers on so unless the bar keepers have an issue you'd be fine.

While I do respect people having the freedom to dress as they choose anyone i know who has worked in a pub see's kilts + groups of men (excl wedding parties) = stag dos or pissed up football fans.

Easier to dress like a real native.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 of us from Aberdeen are staying in Gatwick on Saturday night then Glasgow on Sunday night on our travels back from Tbilisi.

We will be heading to the Iron Horse for a few pints and taking it from there i'd imagine.

What flight to Glasgow are you on??

I get into Gatwick from Kiev at 11:25 and catch a flight to Glasgow at 14:00 and staying not far from the Iron Horse

I've been to the Raven once, it's ok, but there are better McClay's pubs (well Munro's anyway).

The Iron Horse isn't my cup of tea - only been there for gentlemen's evenings up the stairs and for a breakfast pint (long ago when it was about the only place open early and I fancied a sharpener before jumping the train at Q Street for a Thistle away game).

What flight to Glasgow are you on??

I get into Gatwick from Kiev at 11:25 and catch a flight to Glasgow at 14:00 and staying not far from the Iron Horse

Aye we are on that flight too! We will be the 2 guys in the kilts if you fancy a few beers before we fly :ok: We are staying close to central station which isn't far from the Iron Horse either.

Neither of us have been in the Iron Horse before so will swing by to see what like then make a night of it in the city centre. Yourself and any fellow TA welcome to join us for a Sunday evening Glasgow p1ss up!!

I've been to the Raven once, it's ok, but there are better McClay's pubs (well Munro's anyway).

The Iron Horse isn't my cup of tea - only been there for gentlemen's evenings up the stairs and for a breakfast pint (long ago when it was about the only place open early and I fancied a sharpener before jumping the train at Q Street for a Thistle away game).

Neither of us have been in before so I guess its a novelty thing to check out the bar thats probably most mentioned on here.. Suggestions welcome as to where you would recommend for a Sunday night in Glasgow??

And of course if yo are in the area your more than welcome to join us.

Assuming it's the normal Sunday night entertainment in the Iron Horse then it'll be karaeoke (proud of the fact I've no feckin clue how to spell that!) and it might attract some German fans as it's widely known as TA pub and generally attracts some away fans swinging by to see what it's like - likewise you might also get some TA kicking about on the Sunday night. I know the Shetland boys used to head there.

I don't normally go out on a Sunday night so have no idea where is good. Plenty pubs along Bath Street or throughout Merchant city so a pub crawl to find somewhere lively would be your best best.

Aye we are on that flight too! We will be the 2 guys in the kilts if you fancy a few beers before we fly :ok: We are staying close to central station which isn't far from the Iron Horse either.

Neither of us have been in the Iron Horse before so will swing by to see what like then make a night of it in the city centre. Yourself and any fellow TA welcome to join us for a Sunday evening Glasgow p1ss up!!

Sounds like that could be a plan ?

Hi all,

We're looking forward to seeing everyone for the Germany game.

We'll be having our usual "night before" party on Sunday night with karaoke and Scottish tunes from 8pm. :sing:

We'll be open on Monday morning for sausage rolls and pints from 8am.

2 floors of music and mayhem.

We're running a bus to the game and back. £5 return. If you want to book tickets for the bus give us a call on 0141 332 2215 and we can take a card payment over the phone. Your tickets will be waiting here on the day.

As ever entry is free and all are welcome. (Kids will be welcome too provided they are with a sensible adult)

Can't wait!! :cheers3:

Hi all,

We're looking forward to seeing everyone for the Germany game.

We'll be having our usual "night before" party on Sunday night with karaoke and Scottish tunes from 8pm. :sing:

We'll be open on Monday morning for sausage rolls and pints from 8am.

2 floors of music and mayhem.

We're running a bus to the game and back. £5 return. If you want to book tickets for the bus give us a call on 0141 332 2215 and we can take a card payment over the phone. Your tickets will be waiting here on the day.

As ever entry is free and all are welcome. (Kids will be welcome too provided they are with a sensible adult)

Can't wait!! :cheers3:

Sounds like that could be a plan

:ok::beer2:

Glasgow pubs generally = sh*te

Had a cracking night (impromptu) in the Lismore a couple of Tuesdays back - an ever expanding group of young musicians were having a traditional Scottish music jam.

Sweeping generalisations = sh*te

Ach, I suppose it depends on what you're looking for, but I like traditional pubs with real ale - the options in Glasgow are very limited (Tennent's and the Bon Accord - while beer in the Bon Accord is good the place lacks character / atmosphere).

Edited by Charlie Endell

Out of the stuff mentioned so far I'd head for The Park Bar, Kelvingrove. Also get a curry in the Ashoka a few doors down - their haggis pakora is amazing which would be good for the tourists.

I wouldn't expect many TA to be out and about the night before a home game - especially as its an evening kick-off. But the Park Bar should have some regular punters in and if you're down that way you get a view of Park Circus, the Kelvingrove Museum and the University Building - again good for your tourists.

Campus on Sauchiehall St is, afaik, the only place putting on a dedicated Scotland/Germany party on the Sunday night with Scottish and German tunes/food and drink........

Me and Mrs travelling up from the south on Saturday for a long weekend. Will have a look in. Wish we were travelling back from Georgia though.