Scotland Squad - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland Squad

wanderer

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marshall

Hutton, Martin, Greer, Whittaker

Brown, Mulgrew/D Fletcher

Maloney, Naismith, Anya

S Fletcher

That'll be the team for Ireland. Personally, I'd rather Robertson ahead of Whittaker but think Strachan will go with the latter based on experience like he did in Poland, plus Robertson not been playing in the Hull team lately.

Marshall

Maloney, Naismith, Anya

S Fletcher

That'll be the team for Ireland. Personally, I'd rather Robertson ahead of Whittaker but think Strachan will go with the latter based on experience like he did in Poland, plus Robertson not been playing in the Hull team lately.

Morrison generally starts when fit, though.

The two squads are not strong or dreadful but are relatively mediocre with the Irish,on paper, probably just shading it.

The game isn't played on paper though. I would say both squads are decent but the same Irish squad has taken them down the rankings to about 65-70 while ours has taken us up to 30. That probably suggests that on Grass we shade it.

I just find the general attidude from Scots on here amusing. A couple of wins against Croatia and all of a sudden Scotland are a force to be reckoned with.

Our wins have taken us up in the rankings steadily whereas Ireland have dropped steadily. We also beat you in the last game, deservedly so.

It will be a close one but we are right to go into the game with confidence.

Marshall

Maloney, Naismith, Anya

S Fletcher

think so too ,Robertson should play.

Team for Ireland basiaclly picks itself.... ie Marshall, Hutton, Robertson, Martin, Mulgrew, Brown, Anya, Maloney, Morrison, S Fletcher etc etc etc with just minor changes like Berra or Greer beside Martin? will D Fletcher start? will he start Ritchie again?

Qatar game I suspect will be starts for the likes of Gordon, Forsyth, Mulgrew (to get him match fit), Adam etc with the rest of the team not venturing to far from the one that will line up in Dublin (ie Anya, Brown and (one or both) the Fletchers will start regardless)

For a team that picks itself, thats a lot of questions! No Naismith?

IMO Berra starts at CB, Whittaker or Robertson is a question over left back, ones playing regularly, the other isn't. Game comes too early for Mulgrew IMO so its either D Fletcher or Morrison beside Brown. The front 4 do pick themselves tho. Maloney - Naismith - Anya - S Fletcher.

I've been to Ireland more this year (twice) than Ritchie has been to Scotland ever.

If the Irish boys are short of a 44 year old ex-amateur centre forward with the pace of Welsh dresser, I'm available.

Edited by adamntg

For a team that picks itself, thats a lot of questions! No Naismith?

Hanley is out, so forced in to who plays between Berra and Greer.... so thats the first question mark.....

Second one is Strachans habit of springing a surprise..... we could all name a team to within a player or two of the team he sets out, yet Strachan always seems to pull a fast one and spring the likes of a McArthur or Bannan into the starting line up.... so will this trend continue and he starts Ritchie again?

As I said "etc etc etc"... basically meaning Starchans usual team (which includes Naismith)

Edited by wanderer

Hanley is out, so forced in to who plays between Berra and Greer.... so thats the first question mark.....

Second one is Strachans habit of springing a surprise..... we could all name a team to within a player or two of the team he sets out, yet Strachan always seems to pull a fast one and spring the likes of a McArthur or Bannan into the starting line up.... so will this trend continue and he starts Ritchie again?

As I said "etc etc etc"... basically meaning Starchans usual team (which includes Naismith)

Think Naismith a cert unless not fit

Think Naismith a cert unless not fit

Agree.

Unless its a crippling injury Naismith has, I think he would play regardless of how match sharp he is.

Suspect Mulgrew will be in Strachans plans for Dublin, but his performance v Qatar (which I expect him to start in) will be a key factor on Starchans team for the game in Dublin.

The way you go on about Strachan "pulling fast ones", you'd thinkhe changes the formation the team plays on a game-by-game basis, when the reality is it just the personell. Though the one time he did overthink it and "pull a fast one" against Gibraltar, he made a right erse of it.

Bannan and Forrest again. :blink: Strachan starting to be like Broon, really hard to get dropped from this Scotland squad.

To be fair to Bannan, he played really well when he came on against Gibraltar and added a bit of energy and craft that had been lacking in the second half.

Totally agree on Forrest though, GMS and Armstrong should be in ahead of him.

The way you go on about Strachan "pulling fast ones", you'd thinkhe changes the formation the team plays on a game-by-game basis, when the reality is it just the personell. Though the one time he did overthink it and "pull a fast one" against Gibraltar, he made a right erse of it.

Its always one player in his starting line up where not many people would have the likes of Bannan, Greer, Ritchie in the starting line up considering the option we have available, yet Strachan always does seem to have that one player in most his teams that raises a eyebrow and gets a muttered "why is he starting????" in the background.

His formation very rarely changes (as you said, Gibraltar he got it wrong and could have been very close to being his 4-6-0) yet it is a trend in his team to have that one player in it that maybe not everyone agrees with being there.