Doomsday In Central Defence - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Doomsday In Central Defence

ErsatzThistle

Yes on here when he was playing. Obviously, talk dies down since he no longer plays for us as happens with all ex-players in time.

I must have been reading an alternative tamb, as Jagtag said he was mostly criticised during his Scotland career on here, some would defend him but rarely praised.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or most bummed up - you take your pick really.

Do you live in some sort of alternate reality?!! Caldwells took pelters on here and amongst fans for practically his whole Scotland career. He was POTY in Scotland and still regarded as not good enough. As Jagtag said, I can't remember many players, who in the main were quite decent for us, getting such a hard time. You have either missed large parts of the TAMB or not attended many Scotland games if you think plenty of fans sang Caldwells praises.

Do you live in some sort of alternate reality?!! Caldwells took pelters on here and amongst fans for practically his whole Scotland career. He was POTY in Scotland and still regarded as not good enough. As Jagtag said, I can't remember many players, who in the main were quite decent for us, getting such a hard time. You have either missed large parts of the TAMB or not attended many Scotland games if you think plenty of fans sang Caldwells praises.

Now that was helpful ;)

You forget Kenny Miller then? He took pelters galore yet is in our top ten goalscorers of all-time. That is what I see as unjustified criticism. And nope been to many of our games and been pretty constant on here and there have been threads on here (not recently) with people lauding Caldwell. And at games I was at he took no more pelters than the usual you hear from other players.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

Anyway the basic point I am making is give me our current crop of defenders such as Martin, Hanley, Berra and Greer over the likes of Elliott, the Caldwells and Webster any day. Stats say our defence is more secure now than recent years. Now you can say that is down to Strachan and that would be correct but he still needs defenders on the pitch to put his plans into place.

You forget Kenny Miller then? He took pelters galore yet is in our top ten goalscorers of all-time. That is what I see as unjustified criticism. And nope been to many of our games and been pretty constant on here and there have been threads on here (not recently) with people lauding Caldwell. And at games I was at he took no more pelters than the usual you hear from other players.

Kenny Miller split opinion. Some saw his plus points, others thought he missed to many chances. The views on Caldwell were mainly negative, unjustly IMO, and you own posts on this thread confirm that.

Anyway the basic point I am making is give me our current crop of defenders such as Martin, Hanley, Berra and Greer over the likes of Elliott, the Caldwells and Webster any day. Stats say our defence is more secure now than recent years. Now you can say that is down to Strachan and that would be correct but he still needs defenders on the pitch to put his plans into place.

Bit unfair to rank Caldwell alongside Webster and Elliott. He also kept Greer out the team for years and was Berra's partner for a fair amount of his caps.

You have still missed the point of ETs thread completely. Which isn't a surprise. What ET has tried, very hard, to explain to you is that IF we lost 3-4 central defenders then the cover behind those 3-4 players is VERY sparse at the current time. Unlike other areas of the team or unlike previous years when we had decent, but not great, coverage if we lost a few first choice players from centre back.

No one, except you, is trying to argue that the current first choice defenders are better or worse than those in the past 10-15 years.

The views on Caldwell were mainly negative, unjustly IMO, and you own posts on this thread confirm that.

Well not on this thread. It seems I am in the minority in criticising Caldwell so goes a way to support what I was saying that people here were not damning of him. The question now id would posters want Caldwell in our side now? If he were fit and in a modicum of form?

You have still missed the point of ETs thread completely. Which isn't a surprise. What ET has tried, very hard, to explain to you is that IF we lost 3-4 central defenders then the cover behind those 3-4 players is VERY sparse at the current time. Unlike other areas of the team or unlike previous years when we had decent, but not great, coverage if we lost a few first choice players from centre back.

No one, except you, is trying to argue that the current first choice defenders are better or worse than those in the past 10-15 years.

No I have addressed that point asking what the point of the thread was since: A. In all the years I can remember we have NEVER lost four of our top choice central defenders from one squad. B. Even if this first time ever event occurred then is it really Earth-shattering that we'd struggle? Any team in our group would struggle in the same circumstances and even when we had stronger squads and used to qualify for tournies we'd still struggle to replace four of our top choice central defenders. It isn't rocket science to say we'd struggle as that would always be the case but why lose sleep over something that isn't going to happen.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

I'd have to back you up on this. Any number of folk regularly posted about what a bomb scare he was, I should know I was one of them.

With Rangers (probably) stepping up to the top league again, Darren McGregor could probably fill in. He was always decent with us (St Mirren)

Greer seems decent. Grant Hanley, Russell Martin & Berra all fairly solid. No need to panic, we have sufficient cover.

Aye, it is the one position where there don't seem to be too many coming through. I think Hanley and Martin have been really solid for us in this campaign, and, as others have pointed out, we have defended reasonably well overall in the matches so far, asides from a couple of soft goals in Warsaw and Germany's winner. Even in these games we defended well for much of the time, and we were away to the recently-crowned world champions and a decent team which had just beaten said WCs .

Greer has also been solid when called upon, and I think he will be up to the job in Dublin. The only slight concern here is he hasn't played recently. Beyond those three, I don't seen anyone else looking promising. Mulgrew is a good CM but a dodgy CH, and I have never, ever rated Berra. My theory here is that he has a really sophisticated, ooh-la-la, sounding name, but if he was named Chrissie Berry, he wouldn't have got a game for Scotland :D