Steven Fletcher - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Steven Fletcher

dezmondo

1-1. Germany scored first (from a corner or a dead ball cross into the box) and then we equalised after Colin Cameron took a clever, quick free kick to put Kenny miller through, who slotted the equaliser from quite a tight angle from the right-hand side of the penalty box. Good atmosphere in the sun. I can't remember for sure, but it might have been in June.

"slotted" meaning "skiffed"? ;):lol:

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SFA are posting photos from training today.

Everyone looks to be accounted for and Fletcher does not seem to be looking to rough in any way after his stag doo (Charlie Adam though looks like he spent the night in a skip LOL)

On another note, Stuart McCall is involved with the coaching today.

SFA are posting photos from training today.

Everyone looks to be accounted for and Fletcher does not seem to be looking to rough in any way after his stag doo (Charlie Adam though looks like he spent the night in a skip LOL)

On another note, Stuart McCall is involved with the coaching today.

Charlie flew in yesterday, dont know where from. Glad to see Mccall back too.

STEVEN FLETCHER last night revealed he postponed his wedding to help keep his Scotland international place.

The Sunderland star was meant to tie the knot last week with fiancée Rachel but delayed their big day due to his Scotland commitments.

He is determined not to lose his international place again after two years in the wilderness.

And he wanted to be available for his country’s colossal Group D clash with Ireland.

ADVERTISING

Gordon Strachan ended up leaving Fletch out of Friday night’s warm-up with Qatar after the hitman rolled his ankle in training on Thursday.

But Fletcher said: “I had to put the wedding back and it’s now at the end of the month.

“It was supposed to be last week but because of the games we had to move it back. Was I popular? I’m always popular with her!”

Fletcher managed to squeeze in a stag weekend in Thailand before teaming up with Strachan’s squad on Tuesday. The Scotland boss revealed the striker was keen to play in the 1-0 friendly win on Friday but was rested because of his injury scare.

Strachan said: “He came off from training on Thursday and I thought ‘He’s got no chance’ as he’d rocked his ankle.

“He said he could play but I said: ‘Naw, you’re no’.

“If it had been a real push on Friday he would have played but I didn’t think it was worthwhile taking the risk, after rocking his ankle.

“Andy Robertson was the same. It would have been easy for those two in the middle of June with a friendly against Qatar to say: ‘It’s not for me’.

“But the two of them said: ‘We can do this’.”

Will naisy start with him? It's almost a double edge with them two, neither of them that clinical (especially naisy on Friday) but both bring so much in terms of hard work or hold up play. You could argue it's worked so far but by Christ we could with a predator next week

Will naisy start with him? It's almost a double edge with them two, neither of them that clinical (especially naisy on Friday) but both bring so much in terms of hard work or hold up play. You could argue it's worked so far but by Christ we could with a predator next week

Fletcher will score if he gets the service.

You're right though. A goal machine would come in handy and not just for Saturday.

Will he? Gibraltar aside (poor opposition so hardly any form of indication) he has been very wasteful. I'd far rather see Rhodes or Griffiths up front with Naismith, maybe Rhodes as Naismith is a decent creative attacker. Just not convinced with SF as he misses so many simple chances trying to be fancy.

Obviously hope he proves me wrong but I'll be a bit disappointed if he starts.

Will he? Gibraltar aside (poor opposition so hardly any form of indication) he has been very wasteful. I'd far rather see Rhodes or Griffiths up front with Naismith, maybe Rhodes as Naismith is a decent creative attacker. Just not convinced with SF as he misses so many simple chances trying to be fancy.

Obviously hope he proves me wrong but I'll be a bit disappointed if he starts.

You'll be sorely disappointed if you're hoping Rhodes is going to start unless he gets a late call up. ;)

If Fletcher is fit he will start. He's always been Strachan's first choice striker.

It's hard to be a prolific goal scorer when your main job as a lone striker is to hold up play and lay the ball off to advancing midfielders. That being said, he should have bagged a few more goals for Scotland.

I wouldn't mind seeing Griffiths being give a chance but it's not going to happen. Best he can hope for is coming off the bench.

You'll be sorely disappointed if you're hoping Rhodes is going to start unless he gets a late call up. ;)

If Fletcher is fit he will start. He's always been Strachan's first choice striker.

It's hard to be a prolific goal scorer when your main job as a lone striker is to hold up play and lay the ball off to advancing midfielders. That being said, he should have bagged a few more goals for Scotland.

I wouldn't mind seeing Griffiths being give a chance but it's not going to happen. Best he can hope for is coming off the bench.

:lol:

Good point...

Ah well. If Fletcher scores I'll be going as daft as anyone! Dinnae care who scores! ;)

:lol:

Good point...

Ah well. If Fletcher scores I'll be going as daft as anyone! Dinnae care who scores! ;)

As long as we score one more than the Irish, I'll be doing a jig from Lansdowne road to whichever boozer I'll have my first celebratory drink in.

Like you say, it doesn't matter who scores. I don't care if Marshall scores from a goal kick. A goal's a goal!

Griffiths is in a hot vein of form and Rhodes is far more natural a goalscorer. Hypothetical of course but given the time Fletcher had I'd bet Rhodes would have scored more. As I say, Fletcher tries to be too fancy whilst Rhodes strong point is doing the simple stuff well.