Spl Winter Transfer Window - Page 8 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Spl Winter Transfer Window

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think it depends on who teams draw,

Unless you get 2 games in the back of beyond requiring expensive charters I don't see how most clubs could fail to make money.

Aberdeen had 50,000 for 3 home games. Chuck in corporate income and tv/radio money and it have been worth well into 7 figures.

Jim McLean used to say that it cost Dundee United to play in Europe, and that was in the days they were getting to quarters, semis and finals and getting crowds of 18,000 - 22,000 for the home legs.

I suppose if we were to get some TV money that might help, but even games against AEK Athens and Dynamo Moscow weren't shown.

Edited by adamntg

Pie and bovril seem to think Aberdeen would be paying a few hundred grand for Mclean. Interesting if true.

Stv also linking sheep with lukas kuljak - ex bayern apparently.

Rangers linked with Newcastle fringe players.

I would much rather win the Cup than qualify for Europe.

Europe is not worth much to Scottish clubs any more. One or two modest home gates and that's it.

Aberdeen made far more money out of Europe than the League Cup last year. Over 50K in home attendances, live Spanish TV money, and prize money.

I'd rather win the cup as well, but it is possible to do well in Europe if you have a team good enough to win a few games.

Kenny McLean on his way from St Mirren to Aberdeen according the the P&J..... Reports there will also be a loan player coming in aswell.

Didn't see that one coming.

Interesting news if true....it adds to the competition for places up front. Rooney, Goodwillie, Pawlett, McGinn, Hayes and McLean...maybe one of them will start taking some of the chances we make.

Jim McLean used to say that it cost Dundee United to play in Europe, and that was in the days they were getting to quarters, semis and finals and getting crowds of 18,000 - 22,000 for the home legs.

I suppose if we were to get some TV money that might help, but even games against AEK Athens and Dynamo Moscow weren't shown.

Don't think games from 30 years ago are relevant in terms of finances today.

Prices are much higher in relative terms plus there weren't the same amount of corporate opportunities back then.

If playing in Europe really was the financial disaster that sometimes get discussed teams would not participate.

Don't think games from 30 years ago are relevant in terms of finances today.

Prices are much higher in relative terms plus there weren't the same amount of corporate opportunities back then.

If playing in Europe really was the financial disaster that sometimes get discussed teams would not participate.

Aye, maybe you're right.

I'm not really that bothered about from a football point of view, would much rather actually win something. Especially as we're tied on five a piece with the mob over the road.

Aye, maybe you're right.

I'm not really that bothered about from a football point of view, would much rather actually win something. Especially as we're tied on five a piece with the mob over the road.

Agree with the winning something before a few Euro games but playing in Europe has to be a target for our clubs on a regular basis. Get a kind draw and its into the Group Stages and real chance of making money.

When we got to the last 32 a few years back we made over £4m from it.

Effin gutted about the Kenny MacLean news.

How the fook can Aberdeen afford him. Will be interested to hear the fee. We better not have sold him for buttons!!

Because we are debt free.

Because we made a few bob from Europe.

Because we have over 10k season ticket holders.

And lastly because I would be amazed if we don't sell Ryan Jack in the summer for a significant fee.

Because we are debt free.

Because we made a few bob from Europe.

Because we have over 10k season ticket holders.

And lastly because I would be amazed if we don't sell Ryan Jack in the summer for a significant fee.

Even so, I don't ever recall Aberdeen being in the market for a player valued at what I'd have expected for MacLean. We've clearly sold him on the cheap.

FFS didn't The Rangers get about a million for Lewis MacLeod who's never kicked a baw at any sort of level whatsoever?

Even so, I don't ever recall Aberdeen being in the market for a player valued at what I'd have expected for MacLean. We've clearly sold him on the cheap.

FFS didn't The Rangers get about a million for Lewis MacLeod who's never kicked a baw at any sort of level whatsoever?

Could be cash (£250k) and two players (Robson and Shughnessy?)