Fernando Ricksen Tribute Match - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Fernando Ricksen Tribute Match

The benefit game on Sunday, 25 January, is raising funds for Fernando, his daughter Isabella, Motor Neurone Disease Scotland and the Rangers Charity Foundation following the devastating news that Fernando was diagnosed with Motor Neurone Disease in 2013.

A Rangers select team managed by Alex McLeish and featuring legends like Jorg Albertz, Michael Mols, Rino Gattuso, Barry Ferguson, Andy Goram and Ronald de Boer will take on an All Stars side.

Stars such as Teddy Sheringham, Ronald Waterreus and Darren Anderton will turn out for the All Stars with Graham Roberts managing the side.

Fernando said: “I am very much looking forward to the game on Sunday. It is always a good feeling to come back to Glasgow and for me it feels like coming home.

“I played most of my footballing life at a high pressure level – Champions League, Cup Finals and of course the Old Firm.

“That feeling you get leading up to those games is incredible. That’s the feeling I have at the moment and it will become more intense the closer it gets to Sunday.

“Since I was diagnosed with MND in October 2013 I thought I would never get that feeling back again.

“Thanks to Rangers, my family, close friends, everyone who has supported me in these difficult times and the Rangers fans who will be coming to the game on Sunday, I will experience that feeling again. I want to thank them for making this possible.”

Barry Ferguson added: “It was terrible to hear of Fernando’s illness in 2013 but it’s great that the Club has decided to honour him in this way to help his family and other worthy causes.

“Fernando was a fantastic player for Rangers. We spent a lot of time together during some great years at the Club and I’m really looking forward to Sunday and meeting up with all the other guys we played with.

“It should be a great occasion and I hope the fans will turn out and help pack the stadium for him.”

Tickets are on sale now from the Rangers Ticket Centre on 0871 702 1972 (option 1) and www.rangers.co.uk priced £12 for adults, £8 for concessions and £5 for children, with family tickets also available for just £30 for two adults and two children.

Hospitality packages for the match are also available from £105 plus VAT by contacting the Sales Team on 0871 702 1972 (Option 2) or emailing hospitality@rangers.co.uk.

Outwith peoples thoughts on Rangers, this should be a good day out to see some legends of the game.

I also note that Celtic have generously donated £10,000 to the cause.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking forward to what should be a fitting afternoon to help out Fernando.

It will be the highest quality football played at Ibrox for the best part of 3 years.

Was going to say seeing all these legends playing in front of a packed Ibrox will really hit home how bad things are now!

That interview on Dutch TV with Ricksen was so sad. Terrible illness & hopefully he gets a fantastic day :ok:

Great cause if raising money fo charity. But I note funds are also going to Ricksen and his daughter? Is she I'll also? Ricksen earned a great deal of money in his career. Am not begrudging money going to him to help him and his family cope with the illness but is he really in need of such financial support?

She'll very shortly be without a Dad to support her.

Great cause if raising money fo charity. But I note funds are also going to Ricksen and his daughter? Is she I'll also? Ricksen earned a great deal of money in his career. Am not begrudging money going to him to help him and his family cope with the illness but is he really in need of such financial support?

What an absolutely atrocious post, hope your next sh1tes a hedgehog.

The lassie is soon going to lose her old man.