Fernando Ricksen Tribute Match - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Fernando Ricksen Tribute Match

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They seem to be struggling to sell tickets for this. Possibly shows how bad things are at the club

Sales have apparently picked up in last couple of days. There will also be a cash gate on the day. Hopefully a wee bit of winter sunshine will bring out a few more punters.

Sales have apparently picked up in last couple of days. There will also be a cash gate on the day. Hopefully a wee bit of winter sunshine will bring out a few more punters.

Aye i heard pay at the gate today. Before all this nonsense though this game would hsve sold out a few times over probably.

I see where "Return of yer maw" is coming from.

Compared to other families who will fall victim to this or similar illness they should be in a relatively fortunate position financially.

Having said that, it's effectively a testimonial, but unlike many of those a lot of the money will be going to charity, raising awareness of the illness will also benefit charities I've no doubt.

He was a popular player at Ibrox, and an entertaining character during his time in scotland. I can completely understand why folk would want to turn up and pay their money, and I'm sure it will be put to good use.

I hope it's a good day.

Great games to take kids to normally.

As much as many disliked him in his playing days i thought he was a terrific player for Rangers - apart from the obvious game at Parkhead when it just went right over the top of him.

Seeing that interview is one of the saddest and cruelest things i have ever seen on TV

The same awful illness that took Jinky

I share everyone elses sentiments

As much as many disliked him in his playing days i thought he was a terrific player for Rangers - apart from the obvious game at Parkhead when it just went right over the top of him.

Seeing that interview is one of the saddest and cruelest things i have ever seen on TV

The same awful illness that took Jinky

I share everyone elses sentiments

Any relatively new interviews with Joost van der Westhuizen are frightening. One of the greatest scrum halves off all time, an incredibly fit and powerful individual in his heydey, now wilted away to nothing, wheelchair bound and really struggles to communicate. He was given 2-5 years in 2011.

I'll ask the question that is on the tip of everyone's tongues...............how much will Sevco make out of this?

Hope the appeal makes everything it deserves for a dreadful disease.

Anything to have a dig eh. No money will go to rangers.

It looked to have really taken hold of him when he was taken round the pitch at last weeks AZ match at the AFAS. Really sad to see. I'd hope that all the shite can be moved to the side for one day and as much as possible is raised on the day.

I saw that vid, friend had shared it on FB. Considering I don't know Ricksen personally and only as the footballer I actually found it really upsetting. To see what was a very fit and healthy man in that state of ill health is heartbreaking. Hopefully a full house there for it and it can give him and his family just a little bit of comfort to see how many are thinking of him.

I am suggesting that all funds raised should be split between as many families as possible who are struggling to make ends meet through losing someone with this illness.

Totally agree. It's a fine cause, of that there is no doubt. But why is half the profits going to his family, remembering he made millions of pounds out of football. In fact more money than many of us combined. More than enough to have kept his family in a fine life for the rest of their days. But I believe he spunked most of it away, pre illness. If it was a charity game with all proceeds going to charity then wonderful. I think he already has had a game for his family's benefit in Holland as well.

ETA as a vastly wealthy man I'm sure he had polices in place to protect his family should anything happen. It is tragic what has happened to him. Utterly tragic. But the illness is the reason why funds should be raised. It shouldn't go into fernando's bulging (or should be) pocket.

Edited by flynnyboy

Totally agree. It's a fine cause, of that there is no doubt. But why is half the profits going to his family, remembering he made millions of pounds out of football. In fact more money than many of us combined. More than enough to have kept his family in a fine life for the rest of their days. But I believe he spunked most of it away, pre illness. If it was a charity game with all proceeds going to charity then wonderful. I think he already has had a game for his family's benefit in Holland as well.

ETA as a vastly wealthy man I'm sure he had polices in place to protect his family should anything happen. It is tragic what has happened to him. Utterly tragic. But the illness is the reason why funds should be raised. It shouldn't go into fernando's bulging (or should be) pocket.

You are entitled to your opinion.

Mine is that you are a .

You believe "he spunked most of it away, pre illness" yet he's a very wealthy man?

Interesting that of the 3 having a pop 2 are celtic fans. (Possibly 3, not sure who return of yer maw supports?)

I presume they felt the same about Henrik Larsson getting a testimonial? Seeing as celtic gave john Kennedy a job and he's making a good living from football, perhaps he should hand back the proceeds from his benefit match?

I actually loosely see their point, but there's a bitterness in the way it's been made.

There's also nothing to say they'll pocket the money? They may decide to set up a charity in his name, or donate it as they wish?

Presuming you're not going to the game, it's not your money, so it doesn't matter. Those who are going know where the money is going and are comfortable with it.

As I said earlier, I hope it's a success.

Like others have said, it's very sad to see how a once fit healthy confident young guy has deteriorated so quickly through his illness.

You are entitled to your opinion.

Mine is that you are a bunny rabbit.

his point is valid -

I see people sleeping on the street, with rats running around, and folk eating out of rubbish bins

Illness or not, Fernando had the opportunity, and likely earned more in year than most will earn their career and there are plenty of folk suffering out there

I appreciate the emotional support, and this is worth, not convinved with the financial side of it

Edited by euan2020

his point is valid -

I see people sleeping on the street, with rats running around, and folk eating out of rubbish bins

Illness or not, Fernando had the opportunity, and likely earned more in year than most will earn their career and there are plenty of folk suffering out there

Are your feelings the same for every sportsperson who has had similar or just Fernando Ricksen the ex Rangers player?