English Cup - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

English Cup

I have the feeling that the only people that are really interested in the FA cup are the fans of lower league clubs, and the BBC.

Premiership clubs see it as an irritation that gets in the way of the important stuff....money.

The desperation of the BBC to keep on portraying the FA cup as 'the greatest competition in the world', is a bit sad.

The desperation of the BBC to keep on portraying the FA cup as 'the greatest competition in the world', is a bit sad.

It really ####in is. This year the BBC website has gone overboard. From hyping up the shitely first round games to having countdowns to the various draws.

The ultimate in writing about absolutely nothing was an article where you could 'Find out what number your team has been allocated in the 4th round draw'.

Aye, I can imagine the fans waiting in anticipation for that. "Woo-hoo, we're 38 this year, GIRFUY you 40-and-above pricks!"

Scraping the barrel.

One of my mates told me he was waiting for Bolton for £189,000 but cashed in for £15k

Ooft! Nice! They had a real chance there as Liverpool are pish poor and with Henderson as captain instead of SG they're a mid table team at best. wouldnae be too bothered about ONLY cashing out £15k !!! I was happy with £54 yesterday! :lol:

I like the FA cup, but it is somewhat devalued by a lot of the bigger sides playing weakened teams and not treating it with respect (Man City and their jolly).

It does still bring out the crowds at the lower league grounds, although that could be more to do with the size of towns like Cambridge, Bristol etc. probably bigger towns than kilmarnock or motherwell, so have greater potential, at least for a one off.

Bristol is about twice the size of Aberdeen. Cambridge is almost 3 times the size of Kilmarnock.

Yeah, that's kind of the point I was making, the minnows in the FA cup are still from pretty big towns or small cities and can get in a great crowd for these games. Many have been a big club in their history, like wolves, sheffield United, bradford, Bristol city....

Makes a case that towns like motherwell or kilmarnock bringing in a 4000 crowd regularly is quite impressive really.

I have the feeling that the only people that are really interested in the FA cup are the fans of lower league clubs, and the BBC.

Premiership clubs see it as an irritation that gets in the way of the important stuff....money.

Possibly, but fair play to the BBC for bigging up what should be one of the footballing highlights of the season south of the border. It can only help to redress some of what's wrong with the modern game, as illustrated by your first two points....

Possibly, but fair play to the BBC for bigging up what should be one of the footballing highlights of the season south of the border. It can only help to redress some of what's wrong with the modern game, as illustrated by your first two points....

Aye, you're right. And the fact that it;s the only live football the BBC has means that they keep on pushing 'the world's greatest competition' line.

I'm just watching some of the highlights on BT Sport. Bournemouth....ferfuxsake....put out a reserve team against Villa.

The FA cup is the new League cup, no doubt about it.

when you look at attendances per population, it makes interesting reading.

attendanceproportion1.jpg?w=490&h=464

I imagine ours will have dropped a bit since Rangers demise (and even further if Celtic's "actual" home attendances are factored in)....

Edited by Toepoke

I think you saying that is fairly typical of the Scottish mindset.

Not so long ago we were all having a discussion that we needed to do more up here to promote our game. That lot genuinely believe they are at the centre of the universe when it comes to fitba. Christ we now have some of the best footballers in the world telling us that the EPL is the best league in the World and that they have dreamed of playing in the FA Cup Final.

We all know it's not and we know fine well that the FA cup isn't the best cup competition in the world, however that sort of thing most definitely captures the imagination of fans and puts bums on seats. If the English know how to do one thing it's promote their game.

Don't agree with your comment about the EPL clubs and fans not being interested either. Fair enough if you are a top EPL side you will have the league and CL ahead of the FA Cup. That is surely true of any top league though? Chelsea are a good example given their success in the competition since the Russki billionaire took over. Fair enough they are out this year but it's not like they had a weakened side playing.

Fitba is about the fans IMO. Promoting a competition that can throw up results such as Saturday, is no bad thing and it is days like that that will keep people interested. I'm not suggesting they don't go overboard, far from it, but it clearly gets results.