Summer Football - Page 3 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Summer Football

Me.

It'd piss me off.

I've had a Season Ticket for the last 15 seasons.

I wouldn't bother if the season was moved.

In general it's not great business to see your customer base decrease every year and do feck all to arrest the drop.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Me.

It'd piss me off.

I've had a Season Ticket for the last 15 seasons.

I wouldn't bother if the season was moved.

And for every one of you you'd have 3 more that would but a season ticket.

It has to change but with the attitudes that are prevalent on here it won't and so the game will continue to decline.

Sad.

It has to change but with the attitudes that are prevalent on here it won't and so the game will continue to decline.

Sad.

Can you explain how, as a result of changing to summer football, for every person thereafter not to buy a season ticket 3 more would?

And what is sad? It's a debate about what is best for Scottish football (the common goal) with people voicing opinions for and against summer football. Why is discussing possible solutions and their perceived outcomes a sad thing?

Sad.

Who are these 3 then?

I'm also not convinced the Scottish game is actually in decline, but Nevermind.

Can you explain how, as a result of changing to summer football, for every person thereafter not to buy a season ticket 3 more would?

And what is sad? It's a debate about what is best for Scottish football (the common goal) with people voicing opinions for and against summer football. Why is discussing possible solutions and their perceived outcomes a sad thing?

What I find sad (and a little pathetic, to be honest) is comments like "if they move to summer, I'll not be going".

It doesn't add anything to the debate and makes it look like you'd throw your toys out of the pram if you don't get what you want.

**I appreciate I've used the word "you" above, I don't mean you specifically.

Was there not talk a few years back that the Irish League decision to move to Summer football actually saw a decline in attendances and the general feel was the fans were not taking to it and vast majority wanted it returned to winter?

Sure I read the Northern Irish league is switching to summer football from next season.

To be honest, how many bad winters have we had over the last decade that has resulted in a large number of games being called off?

I do not see any real need to change the whole league, and a winter shut down for 2 weeks in early/mid January would be more than enough without having to switch to summer football.

What I find sad (and a little pathetic, to be honest) is comments like "if they move to summer, I'll not be going".

I'll spend my money how I see fit thanks.

If the season runs all summer, me spending £400 on a season ticket no longer represents value for money.

Personally I think this is rather important in this debate.

Each to their own though.

Never said you shouldn't.

Your way of expressing this made you look like a petulant child though. Although I see from the manner of your subsequent reply that it wasn't just a one off.

It doesn't add anything to the debate and makes it look like you'd throw your toys out of the pram if you don't get what you want.

**I appreciate I've used the word "you" above, I don't mean you specifically.

I don't necessarily disagree. I'm not in that mindset though. It would probably become more difficult for me to go in the summer but that doesn't mean i wouldn't try to be there and my availability is certainly not a reason not to change to summer football. However, this probably needs to be considered in the debate if the majority of people who go right now would thereafter struggle and would not be replaced by others.

Was there not talk a few years back that the Irish League decision to move to Summer football actually saw a decline in attendances and the general feel was the fans were not taking to it and vast majority wanted it returned to winter?

Sure I read the Northern Irish league is switching to summer football from next season.

To be honest, how many bad winters have we had over the last decade that has resulted in a large number of games being called off?

I do not see any real need to change the whole league, and a winter shut down for 2 weeks in early/mid January would be more than enough without having to switch to summer football.

Call me hard headed on this subject, but i'm not even in favour of this! Who knows when the weather will strike and from my perspective, this just disrupts proceedings? I also happen to think Xmas and NY (including early NY) is one of the best parts of the football season - attendances would suggest others agree.

Call me hard headed on this subject, but i'm not even in favour of this! Who knows when the weather will strike and from my perspective, this just disrupts proceedings? I also happen to think Xmas and NY (including early NY) is one of the best parts of the football season - attendances would suggest others agree.

Traditionally mid-January comes after New Year.

The games played on the 1st would be an ideal 'final day' before a mid-season break.

That is the major problem with our climate that the winter weather can be unpredictable right up to April in some cases......

Rather than looking for the easy option out of it through summer football, trying to adapt would be more worthwhile (ie a better procedure in place for pitch inspections.... maybe having more localized games in January/February ie Aberdeem playing both the Dundee Club home and away + St Johnstone etc... rather than having Killie etc....)

Traditionally mid-January comes after New Year.

The games played on the 1st would be an ideal 'final day' before a mid-season break.

That was what was pushed on BBC Scotland few weeks ago.

Two week break to let the players recharge, then back for the 2nd half.... no more than 2 weeks.

Willie Miller mentioned how Belgium has a full month off and Eck is finding it frustrating as the season is just getting into full swing and then suddenly dead in its tracks for 4/5 weeks with no games.

2 weeks works for me.

The season restarting with the 3rd round of the Scottish Cup.

Easy as that.

Yeah, also having the league cup done and dusted by the end of the year rather than spread to free up some fixture space in the 2nd half of the season would also be worth while.

If the season ran March-Jan, you'd still get your festive fixtures. (and they'd be even better as they'd have potential to be the ones when final league placings are decided)

If the season runs all summer, me spending £400 on a season ticket no longer represents value for money.

Personally I think this is rather important in this debate.

Each to their own though.

What would you be doing different on a Saturday during the summer months compared to the winter ones ?

I'd be playing golf and I'd be on holiday for 3 of the Saturdays.

The holiday one you couldn't get round but you could play golf on another day or earlier on match day . If you like going to the football and playing golf I'm sure you would adapt to what suits your lifestyle best to fit both in. Might mean two days away from the missus :wink2: