Summer Football - Page 6 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Summer Football

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not true. Top flight games can't be played on Champions League nights whether they are on TV or not. That was the reason there was midweek games last week rather than later in the season. The SPFL and SFA have tried getting UEFA to relax the rule but no luck to date. It's a ridiculous rule. Champions League viewing figures are hardly likely to be affected much by a few SPFL games.

Alternatively the SPFL could do what England does and just ignore the rule!

Not sure that's true unless it's a new rule. I always understood it to be that you couldn't have a live game on tv the same night.

I remember being at a caley midweek game the same night celtic were playing in the champions league.

Not true. Top flight games can't be played on Champions League nights whether they are on TV or not. That was the reason there was midweek games last week rather than later in the season. The SPFL and SFA have tried getting UEFA to relax the rule but no luck to date. It's a ridiculous rule. Champions League viewing figures are hardly likely to be affected much by a few SPFL games.

Alternatively the SPFL could do what England does and just ignore the rule!

Wrong. On Tuesday 30th of September this season, Dons hosted St. Mirren at Pittodrie in a top flight match. There was a full champions league programme that night.

I don't buy the people have other interests in June and July argument - people that go to the football have other interests in the summer cause there's no football on!

Don't buy the it will clash with the World Cup/Euros argument - start 2 weeks earlier and finish 2 weeks later those years and take a break during those tournaments.

Don't buy the our weather is unpredictable argument - the weather is way better in June and July when the football is currently off compared to January and February when its currently on.

Of course people have other interests in June and July? I think you're missing the point - the world does not revolve around football anymore. Football is an interest that can be scheduled throughout the winter. Many summer interests can't. Football is competing with many things and may very well miss out if it tried to compete directly.

As regards a break in the summer for tournaments. Yey - a completely disrupted season every second year for which people will have potentially little interest in because of the major tournaments stuck right in the middle. Would smack of trying to shoehorn our league into any space left by either international games or the EPL - again, marketing our game really well!

The only "valid" reason people seem to have for switching to summer football is the weather. The weather predictability was related to a winter break. However a season lasts around 9/10 months right? Is there a much higher probability of a game being off in Dec or Jan than there is in Feb/March/Oct (presumably these months would have to be used even for a summer league)?? Nobody knows is the answer.

Those in charge need to listen to football fans and improve the current match-day experience and even more importantly make the league competitive. I see these two options as being potentially way more beneficial than switching to the summer.

The correct question is - is there more chance of a game getting called of during Jan thru Feb than there is during June thru July. Hmmm....gee let's think about that tricky question for a minute.

Next it is not about the likelihood of games getting called off - that pish is totally secondary - it is about asking people to sit outside in the middle of Jan - Feb when you could be offering them June - July.

If people want to go play golf go play golf but don't expect the rest of us to sit in the freezing miserable cold because you want your summers to play shit 'sports'. Totally selfish attitude. Shame on you.

The correct question is - is there more chance of a game getting called of during Jan thru Feb than there is during June thru July. Hmmm....gee let's think about that tricky question for a minute.

Next it is not about the likelihood of games getting called off - that pish is totally secondary - it is about asking people to sit outside in the middle of Jan - Feb when you could be offering them June - July.

If people want to go play golf go play golf but don't expect the rest of us to sit in the freezing miserable cold because you want your summers to play shit 'sports'. Totally selfish attitude. Shame on you.

Ok, so summer football may be warmer for you while sitting at the football for a couple of more months than at the moment. Do you think this is a justification enough for the overhaul - really? How does this improve the games and the gate?

As regards the last point, I think you should start at the beginning of the thread - that way you will be more informed. The issue has been discussed already and I have made it very clear I don't want football moved to the summer but not for selfish reasons. We get that you don't like golf, or Aberdeen, or anything remotely snobbish or any view slightly right of very left, but this isn't only about you either. It's about what solution is best for Scottish football. You being warmer for two months does not really add up to the best solution as far as I'm concerned. (Purely out of interest, do you have a season ticket and go to the football regularly - who do you follow?)

Ok, so summer football may be warmer for you while sitting at the football for a couple of more months than at the moment. Do you think this is a justification enough for the overhaul - really? How does this improve the games and the gate?

As regards the last point, I think you should start at the beginning of the thread - that way you will be more informed. The issue has been discussed already and I have made it very clear I don't want football moved to the summer but not for selfish reasons. We get that you don't like golf, or Aberdeen, or anything remotely snobbish or any view slightly right of very left, but this isn't only about you either. It's about what solution is best for Scottish football. You being warmer for two months does not really add up to the best solution as far as I'm concerned. (Purely out of interest, do you have a season ticket and go to the football regularly - who do you follow?)

He likes Aberdeen.

Of course people have other interests in June and July? I think you're missing the point - the world does not revolve around football anymore. Football is an interest that can be scheduled throughout the winter. Many summer interests can't. Football is competing with many things and may very well miss out if it tried to compete directly.

As regards a break in the summer for tournaments. Yey - a completely disrupted season every second year for which people will have potentially little interest in because of the major tournaments stuck right in the middle. Would smack of trying to shoehorn our league into any space left by either international games or the EPL - again, marketing our game really well!

The only "valid" reason people seem to have for switching to summer football is the weather. The weather predictability was related to a winter break. However a season lasts around 9/10 months right? Is there a much higher probability of a game being off in Dec or Jan than there is in Feb/March/Oct (presumably these months would have to be used even for a summer league)?? Nobody knows is the answer.

Those in charge need to listen to football fans and improve the current match-day experience and even more importantly make the league competitive. I see these two options as being potentially way more beneficial than switching to the summer.

You're right - the world doesn't revolve around football anymore. But you're expecting folk to leave the centrally heated houses or the warmth of the pub to go and watch matches in January and February. Attendances are steadily falling, we need to do something to encourage more folk to go to games - and take their kids.

Summer football will improve the match day experience - you're less likely to freeze your nuts off at a game and evening matches will kick-off when its daylight. Some will even finish when its daylight!

You're right - the world doesn't revolve around football anymore. But you're expecting folk to leave the centrally heated houses or the warmth of the pub to go and watch matches in January and February. Attendances are steadily falling, we need to do something to encourage more folk to go to games - and take their kids.

Summer football will improve the match day experience - you're less likely to freeze your nuts off at a game and evening matches will kick-off when its daylight. Some will even finish when its daylight!

I agree that attendances are falling - but I don't think this is down to the weather - even if it was, I'm not convinced for the reasons already stated, that summer football improves this factor significantly enough to warrant the change.

TBH what is going to be the bigger factor to a father taking two kids to go to (for example) a Aberdeen v Motherwell game... fact its June/July, in the mid to high 20's.... or paying £60+ before other costs are taken into account?

TBH what is going to be the bigger factor to a father taking two kids to go to (for example) a Aberdeen v Motherwell game... fact its June/July, in the mid to high 20's.... or paying £60+ before other costs are taken into account?

This comes back to my point about the treatment of away fans, most clubs now have various initiatives in place to allow kids in cheap or free with a paying adult, but for home fans only.

Good publicity and sensible pricing might encourage more away fans? These are folk who already attend games despite the various other obstacles...

You're lucky if you get 10 weeks either side of winter where the weather is alright. Don't know about you but I loved going to three Aberdeen games during July when the weather was warmer compared to freezing my nuts off against Dundee the other week.It must get the players running about in the cold on pitches with hardly a blade of grass.

If I was King (like Parklife) I'd start the League the first week of April and finish it the last week of October. The League Cup final to be played the Sunday of the Glasgow Fair and the Scottish Cup final on the September weekend.Kids under 12 get in from free with an adult ticket,kids 12-15 and in education for £5.All adult tickets will cost £20

You're lucky if you get 10 weeks either side of winter where the weather is alright. Don't know about you but I loved going to three Aberdeen games during July when the weather was warmer compared to freezing my nuts off against Dundee the other week.It must get the players running about in the cold on pitches with hardly a blade of grass.

If I was King (like Parklife) I'd start the League the first week of April and finish it the last week of October. The League Cup final to be played the Sunday of the Glasgow Fair and the Scottish Cup final on the September weekend.Kids under 12 get in from free with an adult ticket,kids 12-15 and in education for £5.All adult tickets will cost £20

And lose the Festive games?? Heresy!

I could only go to two of the three European games - and that was a struggle. Not that that's an argument against them being scheduled then (in case Plinth hasn't read the entire thread yet). I did enjoy the two I went to, I can't deny that. But, I also enjoy games any time of year and especially the festive ones. Maybe I'm being selfish because the weather doesn't really bother me? Anyway, this isn't about individuals, what we would need to establish is what the masses want. I think there are options available to address the this long before summer football has to be considered. Addiiotnally, there seems very little evidence out there to support the argument that summer football would actually benefit our game as a whole and not just some individuals who feel the cold.

Reason attendances are falling is price of going to a game, no value for £20 plus pounds to go to a scottish game with standard on show, weather also plays a big part. You are more encouraged to go to a game on a nice day rather than freezing rain cold wind and rain. I am all for Summer football as long as prices are brought down and weather is nice you will defo get more fans going to games. Also add less heavy handed stewarding on treating fans like criminals would maybe encourage folk back as well, as they just want you to sit in your seat and only shout when a goal goes in!!

Why does there have to be one factor that's bigger than the other? They're both significant factors.

Why would a father pay 60 quid plus for the pleasure of having his and his sons' collective nuts frozen off?

Prices are too high/not competitive. Not playing football in Scotland's most clement months makes no sense. Both these sentences are equally true.

Why does there have to be one factor that's bigger than the other? They're both significant factors.

Why would a father pay 60 quid plus for the pleasure of having his and his sons' collective nuts frozen off?

Prices are too high/not competitive. Not playing football in Scotland's most clement months makes no sense. Both these sentences are equally true.

They might both be true but they won't have equal weighting in the decision making process.

Given the technology in clothing nowadays why would anyone go to the football in winter and gets their balls frozen off? If it's cold dress accordingly.

Edited by Larky Masher

And a dad taking 2 quids and paying £60 must be buying his tickets in the most expensive way possible.

A dad and 2 students (i.e. over 18 and in full time education) can all attend a match at Pittodrie (one of the dearer grounds) for £40 all in.

I think that's alright!!

They might both be true but they won't have equal weighting in the decision making process.

Given the technology in clothing nowadays why would anyone go to the football in winter and gets their balls frozen off? If it's cold dress accordingly.

Given that June and July are our most clement months why do we not play football then?

On it,I'm investing in a Woolrich or Canada Goose jacket during the summer when they are on sale.

And a dad taking 2 quids and paying £60 must be buying his tickets in the most expensive way possible.

A dad and 2 students (i.e. over 18 and in full time education) can all attend a match at Pittodrie (one of the dearer grounds) for £40 all in.

I think that's alright!!

Does that apply to away fans too?

Does that apply to away fans too?

It's in the family stand, so no.

In the South Stand for home fans (so I'd assume for away fans also?) it'd cost £50 for the same 3 people.