Riquelme Retires - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Riquelme Retires

One of my favourite players of all time and one of the only players I have ever seen that used to dictate games from start to finish and didn't run once.

The best description I seen today was an artist imprisoned in a world of athletes and he always had that look of a guy that had thew weight of the world on his shoulders. A genuine legend.

One of my favourite players of all time and one of the only players I have ever seen that used to dictate games from start to finish and didn't run once.

The best description I seen today was an artist imprisoned in a world of athletes and he always had that look of a guy that had thew weight of the world on his shoulders. A genuine legend.

A footballing genius. Wish I'd seen him play in the flesh. They don't make them like Riquelme anymore :(

A maestro in the middle of the park. You could go to matches that Riquelme played in and not notice any other player on the park.

This was from Guardian on Monday...

September 2006: “It was an easy decision to make. My family comes before the football” – Juan Román Riquelme retires from international football.

March 2009: “It hurts me in my soul to do this, but hopefully everything will turn out well for the team and they can qualify for the World Cup without me” – Riquelme quits international football. Again.

July 2012: “If my friends want to see me and discuss where I will play next, I will do so on my games console but I cannot play any more. Like I said, I am empty and I have nothing more to give … Now I just want to go home, have a barbecue with my friends, see my children and greet them” – Riquelme retires from football to spend more time with his grill.

Today: “It’s clear now that I’ll be on holiday, I’ll have fun, enjoy time with my children. From now on my football life ends and a new life starts. Let’s see what it holds” – Riquelme calls time on the game once more

Mind the Argentina goal at the 2006 World Cup, Cambiasso against Serbia & Montenegro I think. He controlled the tempo of the goal and everything good attacking wise about that team went through him.

That was a goal and a half.

Did that not make it into the top 3 WC goals of all time?

Mind the Argentina goal at the 2006 World Cup, Cambiasso against Serbia & Montenegro I think. He controlled the tempo of the goal and everything good attacking wise about that team went through him.