Was Ireland The Best Ever Away Trip For The Ta? - Republic of Ireland v Scotland - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Was Ireland The Best Ever Away Trip For The Ta?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

best trips must have been frontier trips in 60,70,80's going behind iron curtain, where normal vacation was not possible

Latvia/Estonia was up there from 96 as 1 of my favourite trips + it was my 1st proper away trip - dont count Euro 96

Stayed in same hotel as scotland team, so was speaking to htem before game - city was bit wild, avoiding crooks, even remember racing upstairs with 1 of the guys cos he said some latvian had been waving about a gun - road trip from Riga to Tallinn

Tallinn was great - under 21 match, players were going down injured and we were cheering cos the Medic was a stunner, and kept running on the pitch

Game that never was - on the pitch after the cancellation gettign photo's taken

4 fingers on the pitch scoring a goal agaisnt Esti suporters - Tam Ferry and the security guy telling everyone to get off pitch, since it was in normal match time and we were "invading the picth"

Abody pitching up to Disco's with bunches of flowers, bought from flower market, cos heard that Estonian lasses liekd to receive flowers

great trip - and came home to everyone thinking we would be really disappointed at spending all that money

Moscow 1995 is my best qualifying trip, made a long week of it.

Was supposed to fly London->Frankfurt->Helsinki->Tallinn on the Saturday before the game, missed the connection to Helskini by about 5 minutes which meant we missed the next connection to Tallinn by 24 hours. Unexpected Saturday night in Helsinki was no hardship though. About 30 of us on the overnight party train from Tallinn to Moscow - "No sleep til Moscow". Jackos which was legendary and a great away point. Back to Tallinn on the Thursday, Hotel Sport. Another Saturday night in Helsinki, back home on Saturday.

That would kill me nowadays.

best trips must have been frontier trips in 60,70,80's going behind iron curtain, where normal vacation was not possible

Latvia/Estonia was up there from 96 as 1 of my favourite trips + it was my 1st proper away trip - dont count Euro 96

Stayed in same hotel as scotland team, so was speaking to htem before game - city was bit wild, avoiding crooks, even remember racing upstairs with 1 of the guys cos he said some latvian had been waving about a gun - road trip from Riga to Tallinn

Tallinn was great - under 21 match, players were going down injured and we were cheering cos the Medic was a stunner, and kept running on the pitch

Game that never was - on the pitch after the cancellation gettign photo's taken

4 fingers on the pitch scoring a goal agaisnt Esti suporters - Tam Ferry and the security guy telling everyone to get off pitch, since it was in normal match time and we were "invading the picth"

Abody pitching up to Disco's with bunches of flowers, bought from flower market, cos heard that Estonian lasses liekd to receive flowers

great trip - and came home to everyone thinking we would be really disappointed at spending all that money

Same here. They were only a few years on from becoming independent, and it was like the phûqqing Wild West. I mind the Mafia coming into boozers to collect their cash.

It was the sheer thrill of it all. Had never been in countries like them. I was used to seeing the ussr on the TV, as a grey dump, but Tallinn and Riga were stunning. Fair opened my eyes.

Forgot about the flowers :lol: I went up that Club Holywood gaff with half the Beechgrove Garden.

personally the most enjoyable trips have always been those which are very different/unique experiences - Belarus, Moldova, Faroe Islands, Georgia come to mind - Dublin is great and the people were very friendly but it's like a variation on what we have at home, so it can't reach the same heights as some other trips, as enjoyable as it was.

personally the most enjoyable trips have always been those which are very different/unique experiences - Belarus, Moldova, Faroe Islands, Georgia come to mind - Dublin is great and the people were very friendly but it's like a variation on what we have at home, so it can't reach the same heights as some other trips, as enjoyable as it was.

aye been to all of them - not been to an away match since 2010 due to being in South Africa 4 years, but should be due back in Q1 next year, and have a fistfull of KLM Airmiles that should cover me for 10-15 scotland trips :-)

Same here. They were only a few years on from becoming independent, and it was like the phûqqing Wild West. I mind the Mafia coming into boozers to collect their cash.

It was the sheer thrill of it all. Had never been in countries like them. I was used to seeing the ussr on the TV, as a grey dump, but Tallinn and Riga were stunning. Fair opened my eyes.

Forgot about the flowers :lol: I went up that Club Holywood gaff with half the Beechgrove Garden.

I think i was sleeping behind Club Hollywood around 5am on the night was due to leave

remember another tiem was in Tallinn seen local russians battering each other with steel bars - was a bit rough seeing that

Good trip, but type of trip that will be forgotten about and just morphs in with a lot of others in the background of the mind..... Nowhere near my top 10.

Thinking about all the trips to Dublin with Scotland, 2000 friendly is a lot higher, and even the Northern Ireland Carling cup game is above it.

My first trip away was definitely the best for me. It was the first time we had visited Slovenia. Ljubljana is still my favourite city I have visited on Scotland trips. Immaculately presented city. Very clean.

don't get me wrong Dublin was good as where the locals but for me in this campaign Poland in October was first class the polish people where brand new coming out the ground and the poles clapping us was brilliant and not forgetting how cheap it was £1 for a pint and the food was not to bad either then spent a few nights in krakow as well

My first trip away was definitely the best for me. It was the first time we had visited Slovenia. Ljubljana is still my favourite city I have visited on Scotland trips. Immaculately presented city. Very clean.

Yep, one of my top 3 trips, with probably Macedonia in 2013 probably the only one of recent years to make my top 10.

I'll tell you what I wasn't impressed with. The cleanliness of Dublin. Yes Glasgow is a shithole too, but to compare Dublin with other big European cities is like comparing Cumbernauld to Copenhagen.

My first away trip was brussels 2001, very special memories and never laughed so much.

Paris 2007 was also special for the march and the result.

Slovenia away when we won 0_3 needs mentioned.

This campaign, Germany dortmund was a great atmosphere pre-match, mixing with the home fans and enjoying the pipes and drums in glorious weather.

There was great excitement amongst the fans for the forth coming match and referendum.

In my top 5 but my best trip was SWEDEN 92 what an outstanding 2 weeks of drinking and we even met dutch legends JOHN VAN SCHIPP and MARCO VAN BASTEN who came into our local one night while they were out cycling.They were superb and spent ages talking to us and getting their photos taken where marco even had a fly cig while the coach wasnt looking.Legend :ok:

I'm another one who thinks my best away trip was my first one. Was trip to Lithuania in 2010, was in Kaunas for 5 days but also got a rickety old train to the capital Vilnius for the day, was a great laugh. We went into one particular boozer which was full of TA and the gaffer of pub decides to put on a basketball match when there was a football match on that the fans were watching. We all moaned like f*ck but he was having none of it, q 100 guys piling out the pub in disgust, the look on the guys face was priceless!! Running around the big shopping centre in Kaunas up to no good including mooneying the folk on the indoor ice rink and running around the multi-story car park pushing each other about in trolleys. Also went to the ahem... gentlemen's club in there a couple of times!! :):)

Paris was my first away trip and was probably the best, was just a great trip all in. Only been to a few so can't comment too much. Dortmund was great too, again the whole trip from Amsterdam down to Dortmund etc was amazing and made some great friends there too.

Dublin was good but nothing overly special.