Ched Evans - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if Rolf Harris will ever get the chance to paint the Queen again when he gets released from prison.He'll be too old one would imagine.

I'm reckoning children's entertainment is unlikely to welcome him back, so perhaps painting old people is the way to go.

Although I presume he's coming out in a box?

I'd just like to clarify what i said:

I don't believe footballers have any sort of responsibility to be role-models. They have a responsibility to do their job to the best of their ability and behave in a way which their employer deems acceptable.

They have no responsibility, IMO, to be role-models to children.

I agree with you Parky in the sense that he doesn't get paid to be a role model. However, in my opinion anyone who chooses a profession that puts them in the public eye, inherently accepts a level of responsibility to be a role model. What cannot be questioned is that kids look up to footballers.

• 1 month later...

Do tell?

Sheff utd have offered training facilities to Evans at the PFA's request. They've also stated that there should be no "mob justice" in response to an online petition requesting the club do not re-sign him.

I'd expect a Daily Mail outrage headline tomorrow.

Sheff utd have offered training facilities to Evans at the PFA's request. They've also stated that there should be no "mob justice" in response to an online petition requesting the club do not re-sign him.

I'd expect a Daily Mail outrage headline tomorrow.

One of their sponsors responded on twitter to someone asking if they are reviewing it by saying No as they sponsor a great community football club and not individual players.

I agree with you Parky in the sense that he doesn't get paid to be a role model. However, in my opinion anyone who chooses a profession that puts them in the public eye, inherently accepts a level of responsibility to be a role model. What cannot be questioned is that kids look up to footballers.

Can't agree with that

Kids look up to rock stars in equal measures and a good percentage of them are out of their box and riding anything that moves......no one bats an eyelid. Certainly there is no clamour for them to be better role models.

A lot of it regarding football players is jealousy IMO, driven by journo's who know they are at the bottom of the food chain when it comes to opinions. They resent this and will use ANYTHING to get ripped into the guys that they want to be. I mean look at the state of them when Jack Wilshere smoked a fag? You would think the country was under attack.

The Evans thing is difficult. I've read the various bits on the case and he certainly seeems convincing in his defence of the situation. One of my brothers best mates went through a couple of years of hell when some tart cried rape. I have sympathy, but like Evans, he put himself into a ridiculous situation that I can;t even fathom.

Very easy to call the lassie a liar as well though, imagine you were her dad. You would want to kill him.

Evans is a convicted rapist. Judge and jury know a lot more about what he did than anyone on here. Based on the evidence put in front of them they believed the girl and not him. Not only is Evans unrepentant he clearly believes he did no wrong.

That said I completely believe in rehabilitation and that people convicted of crimes must be reintegrated into society after completion of their sentence.

Then again, how does it make the girl he raped feel if he is welcomed back into football and she hears his name sung by adoring fans? It's complicated and an issue that is beyond the capabilities of those in football who have to sort it out.

The big issue here is that he's out after, what, 2 years? He should have got a minimum of 10 years for what he did.

Completely agree. His punishment does not fit the crime.

As a previous poster said his lack of repentance and his inability to accept responsibility should preclude him from going back into football. Although players aren't paid to be role models per se they are paid to do community type work and he basically isn't fit for this. He'd certainly not pass a PVG check now.

The big issue here is that he's out after, what, 2 years? He should have got a minimum of 10 years for what he did.

I think the fact he's out makes his conviction and subsequent sentence look even more flimsy than it already is. There are plenty of miles left in his case and I would not be surprised to see it overturned in the future.