The Boy Messi Is Nae Bad - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Boy Messi Is Nae Bad

Is that not why Celtic released him as a toddler ?

No it's because celtic couldn't afford the banned growth hormones he was fed with from 13 years old onwards until he turned professional and could no longer use them as barca did.

Serious question what is the difference between him and lance Armstrong. Messi would not have the body, build, speed or strength he has now had he not been given the hormones. Likewise with lance. But because messi is a media darling and was doped as a youngster it's ok?? Why not put all under 16s players in scotland on steroids? It's only a banned substance when they turn pro. He is a fraud.

No it's because celtic couldn't afford the banned growth hormones he was fed with from 13 years old onwards until he turned professional and could no longer use them as barca did.

Serious question what is the difference between him and lance Armstrong. Messi would not have the body, build, speed or strength he has now had he not been given the hormones. Likewise with lance. But because messi is a media darling and was doped as a youngster it's ok?? Why not put all under 16s players in scotland on steroids? It's only a banned substance when they turn pro. He is a fraud.

You're seriously asking what the difference between Armstrong and Messi is?

There was an interesting thread on Messi and his growth hormone treatment a few years back. Not sure if it's still on here or not. I think calling him a fraud is wrong and from the last thread, nothing provided changed that opinion.

Yeah I am. Both used drugs banned in the sporting world to enhance their physical prowess. The fact messi used them to imorove his physicality prior to being subject to tests is irrelevant, both used performance and body enhancing drugs to improve their physical ability.

Would you be comfortable with a similar routine to enhance the size and build of our smaller players at a similar age to messi if endorsed by the SFA or clubs?

Edited by flynnyboy

Putting aside the argument that both "treatments" are different. Messi was a kid with a medical condition and Armstrong was already a successful athlete who knowingly cheated using drugs. Doesn't sound the same to me.

No I wouldn't because being a small person and being disagnosed with a growth hormone deficiency isn't the same thing.

Putting aside the argument that both "treatments" are different. Messi was a kid with a medical condition and Armstrong was already a successful athlete who knowingly cheated using drugs. Doesn't sound the same to me.

No I wouldn't because being a small person and being disagnosed with a growth hormone deficiency isn't the same thing.

I'm sure all small people, ie Shaun Maloney, Barry bannan and the likes have a hormone deficiency that cause them to not grow to an average height. Should all small players who don't possess the natural hormones to enable them to grow into a "average height" be allowed to take performance enhancing drugs?

As you will be aware many "doctors" will sign off on medical conditions to allow certain treatments, again the Tour de France being a classic example.

The simple fact is messi would not be the player he is now had it not been for growth inducing, performance enhancing drugs that are banned in professional sport. Hence why he had to stop taking them when he signed professionally, despite it being a "medical issue"

I'm sure all small people, ie Shaun Maloney, Barry bannan and the likes have a hormone deficiency that cause them to not grow to an average height.

My limited knowledge on GHD is that it's a lot more complex than just a persons height. Messi is 'only' 5"7 after treatment, Maloney and Bannan are around this height without. I'd need to read more on it but Im not convinced that just being below average height is enough to be diagnosed with GHD. Average height isn't that simple either, people are taller now, differences in ethnicity etc.

You're right that Messi has only being able to achieve what he has because of his treatment. But that alone isn't enough to label him a fraud or take away what he's achieved in the game. There's people faster than him, stronger than him, more technical than him. If it was as simple as making a messi then he wouldn't be a one off.

I'd agree. He is a special talent. But most likely a talent who would never be close to reaching the levels he has without the performance enhancing drugs. He is lucky a doctor signed off on his condition. Because those guys are beyond reproach ain't they and don't do anything at all unethical. I appreciate your view but I disagree.

far too wee to succeed at the top level

The really sad thing is that there's still loads of coaches out there who believe in that nonsense. It was only five minutes ago that some wankshaft at Celtic's youth set-up told Andy Robertson he was to small to do anything in the game.

Thankfully we don't have devoted adherents of that garbage like Ross Mathie, Archie Knox and Billy Stark involved with our national team anymore.

Edited by ErsatzThistle