Darren Fletcher - Time To Move On? - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Darren Fletcher - Time To Move On?

Caledonian Craig

i wouldn't go that far. he's still a decent player and we're not blessed with a lot of good players in that area. Brown and Mulgrew to start for me, Morrison can operate there.. after that we don't have much. McArthur doesn't seem to have the mindset for international football, he's been a mess whenever he's played for us. So there's definitely still a place for Darren Fletcher in the squad. He might not be the box to box player he once was, but he's smart enough and experienced enough to be able to slot into other roles. Writing him off already seems a bit extreme.

I just dont think he is as influential as he was and unless he makes a move soon theb he shouldnt get a game. Ive always been a fan and wanted him to come back to his best but its not happening sadly.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's mental that folk are writing off Darren Fletcher for Scotland because he hasn't made the starting 11 for Man Utd in the past couple of months.

indeed yet on another thread the less Barry Bannan plays the better he gets

think he is getting to that stage where he needs a move, similar to where phil neville was at the same stage in his career and he managed to move to a top ten club and play on till he was 36 before ended up as a coach back at Man Utd.

I think it's mental that folk are writing off Darren Fletcher for Scotland because he hasn't made the starting 11 for Man Utd in the past couple of months.

I don't think anyone's writing him off, it's just being realistic.

He's probably not going to get a start in the next two games (although he's bound to come off the bench at some point).

As long as Brown, Morrison, Mulgrew, and McArthur are playing well for their club sides, and Fletcher isn't getting any time on the pitch at all, that's not going to change.

Fletcher still has a lot of caps left in him, but, let's face it, he's not going to break Kenny Dalglish's caps record.

• 2 weeks later...

Arguably Fletcher is now behind Brown, Mulgrew, Morrison and even McArthur for one of the central midfield spots. In his pomp he'd have been ahead of any and all of them. He needs a run of games somewhere, maybe injuries to others will let him have that at Man Utd. Really hope he is OK to start tomorrow.

At the end of the 2008 campaign you could argue that our 3 best and important players were Gordon, Fletcher and McFadden. The spine of the team. The 3 never played in the same team again for a length of time and never will. Hope Fletcher can still be an important player for us but have my doubts.

He was incredibly poor for me against England. Passes went astray, his control was lacking, he missed tackles, committed too early and got beat too easily.. it was pretty much a horror show from him.

He probably does need to move on from man utd and go somewhere he can play every week, and get back to a good level. He's still a squad player, but Mulgrew, Brown and Morrison are the only player vying for a start in the deep midfield roles. Fletcher's in a battle with McArthur for a place in the squad and he needs to improve on Tuesday if he's going to keep winning that. :/

He was incredibly poor for me against England. Passes went astray, his control was lacking, he missed tackles, committed too early and got beat too easily.. it was pretty much a horror show from him.

He probably does need to move on from man utd and go somewhere he can play every week, and get back to a good level. He's still a squad player, but Mulgrew, Brown and Morrison are the only player vying for a start in the deep midfield roles. Fletcher's in a battle with McArthur for a place in the squad and he needs to improve on Tuesday if he's going to keep winning that. :/

I'm unconvinced by Mulgrew as a central midfielder. I didn't think he was MoM on Friday. He had a good second half, not denying that.

Fletcher was rusty but he also made a few very good passes which you have not mentioned.

For me, Mulgrew was the best of our defensive mids in both games. Got involved defensively, was a presence in the box (one we especially needed against irelands height when they came up for corners), he was good on the ball showing some neat turns to work a yard for a pass and he moved the ball on well. Man of the Match.. tough to call, but he'd the first name down for me in that position.

I don't remember any "very good passes" from Fletcher, I'll see if i can pick up a copy of the game from somewhere and see, but even if he did play a couple of good balls, it doesn't make up for all the things that went badly for him.

Wasn't impressed by Fletcher but let's judge him with a proper run of games under his belt.

Bit harsh to judge him on Tuesday given he has played the total of about 90 minutes 1st team football since August.

However agree that he is certainly behind Broon Mulgrew and Morrison for now.

Edited by Eastiebeastie