Barry Bannan To Be Borrowed By Bolton - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Barry Bannan To Be Borrowed By Bolton

kmcca5

Folk are just being realistic.

There is nothing wrong with selecting Championship players - it's still a decent level of football - Anya is far and away my favourite current Scotland player (going by the match reports it appears he plays better for Scotlahd than Watford - not something I'm going to complain about). However, Bannan is still vastly over-rated by some - La Liga - jings!

Fine but it is stretching it way too far when people describe him as 'not very good at all's or 'championship-level player' when he has displayed he is proven against the best team in the world on their own turf.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fine but it is stretching it way too far when people describe him as 'not very good at all's or 'championship-level player' when he has displayed he is proven against the best team in the world on their own turf.

He's on loan at a team on the way to the third tier of English football.

I want all Scottish players to be as successful as they can be. It seems though that Bannan is not rated as a top player. He has only shown glimpses in a Scotland jersey that he is good enough. Many in front of him for a starting berth in my opinion.

I want all Scottish players to be as successful as they can be. It seems though that Bannan is not rated as a top player. He has only shown glimpses in a Scotland jersey that he is good enough. Many in front of him for a starting berth in my opinion.

'Loan' being the key word. FFS for most of his playing career his appearances have been in the EPL or for Scotland. And glimpses for Scotland? Our best player in Dortmund in the first half, got man of match award in match V Lithuania (2012) if memory serves and has been a regular in our successful run of results in the last 18 months so has not let us down. Those last five words should resonate with us (Scotland fans) but seemingly some want to put the boot in.

Strachan knows football - it's clear you don't.

Funny, in the last two games I thought Maloney had the shot which led to the OG v Georgia, scored the first v Poland and won the free-kick which led to the 2nd goal.

I think Bannan is vastly over rated by a lot of the TA. The fact that Maloney who has barely kicked a ball for Scotland in about 30 caps keeps him out the team speaks volumes. Both of them are all fur coat and no knickers.

IMO he can pick a pass,and while Broon and other present midfielders offer energy and fight,I think Bannan has more "vision".I'm hoping to see this mixture being brought into our tactics.

I think that's probably correct and he can 'pick a pass' - but only at times. He often spoils his good vision by then trying to play a Hollywood pass, and gives the ball away. He is good, but only in patches, and I'm afraid he gives the ball away far too often, which just undoes his good work. We are now playing a game where we are keeping possession for lengthy periods, so can't afford someone that is going to play one good pass, them a bad one, over and over again. IMO if he stopped trying to play some stupid Hollywood passes, then he might have a better chance of getting a start with us - and also maybe with his club team, as they must be equally frustrated by his inconsistency !

I think that's probably correct and he can 'pick a pass' - but only at times. He often spoils his good vision by then trying to play a Hollywood pass, and gives the ball away. He is good, but only in patches, and I'm afraid he gives the ball away far too often, which just undoes his good work. We are now playing a game where we are keeping possession for lengthy periods, so can't afford someone that is going to play one good pass, them a bad one, over and over again. IMO if he stopped trying to play some stupid Hollywood passes, then he might have a better chance of getting a start with us - and also maybe with his club team, as they must be equally frustrated by his inconsistency !

justified criticism apart from the fact that the other midfielders are maybe even more guilty than he is !

Magnum's talking nonsense. Bannan is the best in the squad at keeping possession.

If you think that, you really are kidding yourself, or watching a different game. If he's that good, why did Villa allow him to leave, and now Crystal Palace have allowed him to leave ? They can't all be wrong, or are they talking nonsense as well ?

It's all very well him doing something good, or even outstanding, on the ball, but it's all to no avail if he then gives it away with his final touch or pass. McFadden was the same when he first played, but, with maturity, he learned when to hold onto the ball, when to go past someone, and when to pass it, and developed into the impact player that we loved. Bannan needs to do the same.

If you think that, you really are kidding yourself, or watching a different game. If he's that good, why did Villa allow him to leave, and now Crystal Palace have allowed him to leave ? They can't all be wrong, or are they talking nonsense as well ?

It's all very well him doing something good, or even outstanding, on the ball, but it's all to no avail if he then gives it away with his final touch or pass. McFadden was the same when he first played, but, with maturity, he learned when to hold onto the ball, when to go past someone, and when to pass it, and developed into the impact player that we loved. Bannan needs to do the same.

Bannan is nothing line McFadden as a player, if anything he's closer to Barry Ferguson. Are you sure you've got the right player?

Bannan is nothing line McFadden as a player, if anything he's closer to Barry Ferguson. Are you sure you've got the right player?

No, I was not comparing the players, what I was saying was that Bannan's decision making, as when to make a simple pass, or hold the ball etc had to improve, much like McFadden's decision making improved, making him a much better player.

No excuses ,just my theory,he's played under managers who are,or were,all about power football,he needs a manager with a more skilful approach.I give you the example Arjen Robben,relatively successful with Chelsea and Real,but became a world beater under Jupp Heynckes who gave him freedom to dribble and shoot. The position Xavi plays,or played,for real is the sort of position I would like to see him getting the chance in.

No excuses ,just my theory,he's played under managers who are,or were,all about power football,he needs a manager with a more skilful approach.I give you the example Arjen Robben,relatively successful with Chelsea and Real,but became a world beater under Jupp Heynckes who gave him freedom to dribble and shoot. The position Xavi plays,or played,for real is the sort of position I would like to see him getting the chance in.

Xavi at barca you mean or xabi alonso at real?

Also who are we to argue with Gerard Houllier.When he was at Villa he really was lavish on praise of Bannan likening him to Xavi and Messi of all people so he certainly rates him. I am not agreeing with the likeness but obviously a much-respected coach rates him, well two if you include Strachan.

I remember when Simon Donnelly was the new Kenny Dalglish and Darren Mackie was the Scottish Michael Owen.

What tosh, hazard, carzola, sanchez,silva, aguero all small and world class in prem. And i'm not comparing just pointing out height in prem not an issue

Hazard is a tank, Aguero is a tank. Silva and Cazorla are similar but much much much better football players so they can get away with it much more.

Perfect example. No better example of great small midfield players than Xavi or Iniesta. Bannan has the same build and probably touch that they have. However, how many fancy Hollywood passes do either of then play - virtually none at all ! They keep their passes simple (usually short) and make sure that they find their destination, and then get into a space to get the ball back again (rather than admiring their pass). This was exactly my point yesterday, that if Bannan is to become a great player and have a role for Scotland, or an EPL club, he has to take a leaf out of their book, keep it simple and stop playing unsuccessful Hollywood passes. Just better decision making please !