Priority Pass/airport Lounges - General Travel - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Priority Pass/airport Lounges

dezmondo

I've had free access to airport lounges through my bank for a few years but never bothered using it as I mainly never have time as I'm usually a late arrival for catching flights. Are they worth a visit?? Or does it depend on the lounges??

Main reason I'm asking is that I have a 5 hour wait at stansted on my way to Poland. Is this lounge ok and are there restrictions in terms of how early before your flight you can enter it?

Cheers

We went to the Sky lounge in Glasgow before flying to New York this year. We could enter 3 hours before departure, kids had plenty snacks and free Wifi to keep them busy, wife enjoyed reading a magazine and a cup of tea and I had a guid selection of beers and whiskey :ok:

Normally 3 hours before departure but I would chance my mitt. Love a lounge. Even paying to go in can be worth it - about 18 quid mostly, but at airport bar prices you only need 3 drinks to be ahead, and it is much nicer, free wifi etc.

Best one I've been in was Business Class at Heathrow T5. It had a Heineken tap and the free wines were ones I recognised as being about 15 quid a pop in the shops.

Get stuck in.

great if they are free ;-) sometimes dont bother my ass

KLM/AF Petroleum Card - can get this if you work in oil Industry and fly on oil routes once a year - KLM - so get into their lounge in amsterdam and they will give yu 15 Euro to go spend at Irish Bar if your connection is more than 3 hours (this also lets you queue jump at boarding etc )

Amsterdam - Soups, Spaghetti, fruit, biscuits - Draft Beers on tap, wine, champagne, gin, vodka, whisky etc etc

Paris - not the best - free spirits, normally walk out with orange juice and crisps

Aberdeen - Servisair - so so but nice to have a Gin & Tonic @ 6am but not been ther so often recently cos lost my Gold Card

Personally - I wouldnt pay for lounges - more often than not you are short on time to get benefit, but 3-5 hour stayovers in Amsterdam its handy to have a comfy seat - although pisses me off you have to hassle the KLM staff to get the 15 Euro voucehrs cos they dont know the Petroleum Card Programme

Definitely.

I only discovered these 2 or 3 yrs back on a 9hr wait at Nairobi airport on way back from Madagascar.

I go in one everytime I fly unless it's only a 2hr wait.

Usually football on TV, free drinks, snacks etc. & more comfortable than the standard airport seats

As somebody mentioned, even if you have to pay it's generally worth it.

The only downside is, now they're getting more well known, a lot of young people use them as creches, sitting with their laptops plugged in watching films, music, blogging, or glued to Twitter & Basefook while their children run riot unsupervised all over the place. Can get a bit noisy with squealing kids.

Generally ends in panic when whatever the parents are watching finishes & they realise that young Brooklyn, Romeo, India, Summer, Skyler, Egypt, Tulullah, Reignbeau, Poppy, Honey, Daisy, Apple* (insert name) has found the exit & is somewhere else having gone on a journey of discovery. :)

All in all definitely worth it if you've a long wait.

as a general rule of thumb I usually pay for the lounges when it me and the mrs seeing as we are tin the saga club range,they are generally quieter and more civil...as a public servant I have never in my pluff built up enough air miles for any airline to get me into lounges,however my oliy friends are all gold/exec/business s and I have been smuggled into various lounges across europe and I can confirm that Amsterdam is excellent after being poured off a flight to neep city with peanuts in my ears and up my nose and without my passport....

I'm not aware of any time limitation on Priority Pass, I was a member a few years ago and sat in the lounge in Colombo for 10 hours before my flight left once.

I'm a Qantas Platinum Frequent Flyer nowadays, no idea the last time I had to sit downstairs but get pissed off when I fly on another airline and I have to.

Thing i missed most about my KLM Gold Card was getting 2nd suitccase

trying to stuff everything to below 23 kg was struggle - back onto Silver so get 2nd suitcase again - find this a lot more helpful than lounges - KLM would charge 108 euro's for 2nd suitcase

(second suitcase stapped full of shyte like Haggis (6) tunnocks caramel wafers etc etc etc )

For anyone who flys KLM once a year on vacation/football and you work for oil services/oil company - you can get access to KLM lounge at amsterdam - plus priority boarding/check in etc

http://www.klm.com/travel/za_en/flying_blue/flying_blue_for_business/flying_blue_petroleum/index.htm

When working at Lloyds we used to hold back on booking flights till last minute and then book with automatic flexi ticket giving access to the BA lounge. The one in Birmingham used to be good, would pitch up there at 5pm for our 8pm flight, many times turned down the chance of jumping on the earlier flight at 5.30pm at the checkout in order we could take advantage of the free bar with many different spirits and beers and endless supplies of sandwiches.

Laterly been using the flybe lounges. A much more frugal affair, however I used to "stock up" to make sure my stay was worthwhile, kept me in beer over the weekend.

For anyone who flys KLM once a year on vacation/football and you work for oil services/oil company - you can get access to KLM lounge at amsterdam - plus priority boarding/check in etc

http://www.klm.com/travel/za_en/flying_blue/flying_blue_for_business/flying_blue_petroleum/index.htm

Hmm thats handy to know, i fly back a few times to scotland for hoilidays and sometimes work and always use Lufthansa as its 100 quid cheaper but a couple of times this year ive been on KLM

Definately use them. Like has been mentioned, after about three or four bottles you are quids in. Had some supberb lounges.

Flying Club to Warsaw (via Berlin) so will be hitting the T5 loungue hard in. T5 loungue is somthing else. My Dad has Platinum Amex card which comes with free loungue access so he is well versed in loungues of the world.

J