Mcnamara How Long - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Mcnamara How Long

Was gutted when he left thistle.

At Dundee United was he not hampered by the sales or is there other to it?

As was I, until I took a step back and realised that we were actually a better team once Archibald took over. I thought our season was over when I heard he was away to Utd but I think it actually got us promoted in the end.

Our away form under McNamara at that point was really poor for a team aiming to win the league. If i remember correctly the first game we played after he left was away to Morton, and we played reasonably well and drew 2-2 albeit we threw away a 2 goal lead.

Morton were 8 clear of us at that stage and had we lost that game i think Morton would have went up that season.

2 cup defeats, then 3 league defeats now for JM, not the best opening 5 games for him.

I thought he did OK at Utd, but he was a right c'nt in interviews, he never seemed to take any responsibility, seemed impervious to criticism levied at him.

2 cup defeats, then 3 league defeats now for JM, not the best opening 5 games for him.

I thought he did OK at Utd, but he was a right c'nt in interviews, he never seemed to take any responsibility, seemed impervious to criticism levied at him.

He did do OK for a while kumnio but his lack of ideas when plan A failed was a killer. See St Johnstone cup final for example and then loss of GMs and Armstrong. While he had a good squad he did quite well but with the team we had he should have. He completely lacked ideas when things went badly and some of his team changes during games were quite frankly bizarre. At times he just could not see the obvious.

He's more interested in lining his own pocket than being a good football manager. See his testimonial v Ireland for an early example.

He deserves the success he's currently experiencing. He-fukkin-haw.

Good player, right enough.

Sacnamara will get his jotters soon, no *~@&%ing use as a manager, no plan A, plan B ....what's that, plan C ....yeah took that too far.

Couldn't even motivate for a cup final......twice!

Inherited a team with a bunch of good players who could go out and...just play . Sold a few and replaced with players needing managed...... JM is actually shit at that . Soon to be unemployed I think.

I'd also argue that your players were not "considerably" better either. You had some decent youngsters. We had a better strikeforce for a start.

It's not worth arguing about. The Johnnies won the cup.

The rest is subjective. I just wish we still had Ryan Gauld, Andy Robertson, Nadir Ciftci, GMS and Armstrong in our team. That we couldn't score against Steven Anderson and Dave Mackay time and time again with these boys in the team was a fairly damning indictment of McNamara's tactical nous.

Edited by adamntg

It's not worth arguing about. The Johnnies won the cup.

The rest is subjective. I just wish we still had Ryan Gauld, Andy Robertson, Nadir Ciftci, GMS and Armstrong in our team. That we couldn't score against Steven Anderson and Dave Mackay time and time again with these boys in the team was a fairly damning indictment of McNamara's tactical nous.

Aye, fair enough. My original gripe was never with you. Just a couple of others who seemed to think if United were organised a bit better then the cup would somehow rightfully have been theirs.

Nothing to do with getting beaten by a better Saints side? This is the crap that usually comes from an Old-firm fan.

your missing the point and getting offended when no offence is intended. we were comprehensivley beaten by you in the cup final despite having at least as good a team and some would argue better players.

It is not a slight on st johnstone, the point being made is that our manager didnt know what to do against you lot even after 4 previous failed attempts. that says a lot. not about the st johnstone players but about Mcnamara.

Aye, fair enough. My original gripe was never with you. Just a couple of others who seemed to think if United were organised a bit better then the cup would somehow rightfully have been theirs.

not rightfully ormond but with a team of players capable of beating most other SPL teams at the time, we consistently failed agianst saints. that implies poor management decisions and team set up rather than that utd were a poorer side than saints were.

not rightfully ormond but with a team of players capable of beating most other SPL teams at the time, we consistently failed agianst saints. that implies poor management decisions and team set up rather than that utd were a poorer side than saints were.

Or it could just say that Saints were consistently a better side than United......

Or it could just say that Saints were consistently a better side than United......

but they werent were they. over last 3 seasons utd finished above saints twice. equal maybe but not consistently better. And if you think saints have had better players than utd over the past 3 seasons you need your head looked at.

Hence the argument above re team management versus player quality.