Mcnamara How Long - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Mcnamara How Long

but they werent were they. over last 3 seasons utd finished above saints twice. equal maybe but not consistently better. And if you think saints have had better players than utd over the past 3 seasons you need your head looked at.

Hence the argument above re team management versus player quality.

. Edited by Ormond

As a neutral, if I could be classed as one (Im not overly concerned with the rivalry with the DABs, and like most DFC fans, have no interest in St Johnstone), theres no doubt in my mind that Utd had the better team, and much better players. St Johnstone had/has a hoodoo over United though.

The last three seasons we have finished above United. Consistently beating them in games throughout. How on Earth does that make United a better team?

11-12 we finished above you, 12-13 you finished above us, 13-14 we finished above you, 14-15 you finsihed above us. as i say pretty equal.

But again if you think you had better players than utd over that period then i cant help you.

11-12 we finished above you, 12-13 you finished above us, 13-14 we finished above you, 14-15 you finsihed above us. as i say pretty equal.

But again if you think you had better players than utd over that period then i cant help you.

It's you who was giving it the old "United had better players" crap. Just because you had decent youngsters coming through and believed your own hype meant hee haw!

It's you who was giving it the old "United had better players" crap. Just because you had decent youngsters coming through and believed your own hype meant hee haw!

correct because they did, if you cant see that then too bad. however you are off on one again and I cant be bothered with this...

correct because they did, if you cant see that then too bad. however you are off on one again and I cant be bothered with this...

In your eyes they did. Consistently beating you lot means our players were worse than yours. Aye, whatever.

In your eyes they did. Consistently beating you lot means our players were worse than yours. Aye, whatever.

individually yes, we had better players. as a team you were better when you played us however, hence the feeling that our management were lacking.

thats all. no slagging saints, just a feeling most Utd supporters have i think.

individually yes, we had better players. as a team you were better when you played us however, hence the feeling that our management were lacking.

thats all. no slagging saints, just a feeling most Utd supporters have i think.

Strongly disagree with your first part. Just a feeling most Saints fans have I think.

On your last part? Yep, it would seem tangerine spectacles sell well up Sandeman Street.

So what position did your team of better players come in the league that year? ;-)

I think St Johnstone were/are a decent workmanlike team who play to their strengths - that's not a criticism, just my opinion & for what it's worth I & most other United fans would give our eye-teeth for that just now!

United however were a team of mainly youngsters who on their day played some superb stuff & were a match for anyone.

Anyone except it would seem St Johnstone, but I think that's down to the tactical nous (or lack of it) from the respective managers.

So what position did your team of better players come in the league that year? ;-)

I think St Johnstone were/are a decent workmanlike team who play to their strengths - that's not a criticism, just my opinion & for what it's worth I & most other United fans would give our eye-teeth for that just now!

United however were a team of mainly youngsters who on their day played some superb stuff & were a match for anyone.

Anyone except it would seem St Johnstone, but I think that's down to the tactical nous (or lack of it) from the respective managers.

So, by this strange, unbelievable reckoning that because you could beat anyone, does it mean you had better players than Celtic? Of course it doesn't. What it means is that United fans can't and never will accept that maybe a wee diddy club with no fans from Tayside could ever be better than the mighty United. It reeks of arrogance. Old-firm-esque attitude.

So, by this strange, unbelievable reckoning that because you could beat anyone, does it mean you had better players than Celtic? Of course it doesn't. What it means is that United fans can't and never will accept that maybe a wee diddy club with no fans from Tayside could ever be better than the mighty United. It reeks of arrogance. Old-firm-esque attitude.

Better players than Celtic? That's a good point!

Remind me, which team ended up buying some of United's players to presumably improve their squad?

I'm glad we agree :-)

Except about the bit where you say we think St Johnstone could never be better than United - I and others have already stated that St Johnstone as a team were clearly better than United on most of the occasions where it mattered - the fact that they did this with supposedly inferior players makes it all the more remarkable.

Better players than Celtic? That's a good point!

Remind me, which team ended up buying some of United's players to presumably improve their squad?

I'm glad we agree :-)

Except about the bit where you say we think St Johnstone could never be better than United - I and others have already stated that St Johnstone as a team were clearly better than United on most of the occasions where it mattered - the fact that they did this with supposedly inferior players makes it all the more remarkable.

Supposedly inferior in the minds of Arabs.....

name me the 5 st johnsotne players who are better than Ryan Gauld, Andy robertson, GMS, Stuart Armstrong and Nadir Ciftci?

Together May and McLean were better than your strikeforce. Our keeper was better than yours. Our centre halves were also better.

Together May and McLean were better than your strikeforce.

I'm not sure about that. United scored 65 league goals in the league compared to St Johnstone's 48. They scored 4 goals or more 11 times over the season.

It was the defence that was gash. And the wheels had come off by the time we got to Hampden. St Johnstone, and several others, had sussed us out, and were definitely in better form come the final.

Edited by adamntg

Together May and McLean were better than your strikeforce. Our keeper was better than yours. Our centre halves were also better.

Not really what I asked was it? Are you saying may or McLean are better footballers than Gauld? Armstrong? GMs? Cos if you are you watch a different game to me.

Not really what I asked you either. Give me 5 better st j. footballers than the 5 UTd players I have mentioned from the same time period.

So, out of 11 you picked 5. That leaves 6 more. So, you are now changing it to United had less than half a team better than Saints? I'm off for some Thanksgiving turkey. Talk later.

So, out of 11 you picked 5. That leaves 6 more. So, you are now changing it to United had less than half a team better than Saints? I'm off for some Thanksgiving turkey. Talk later.

Ha ha. No. I am re-enforcing my point that utd had better players than saints over that period but whenever we met you we were a poorer team. Hence many utd fans question our manager of the times' ability.

Its nothing about arrogance and nothing about an anti saints agenda. But you crack on anyway.

Enjoy your turkey!