Hong Kong - General Travel - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Hong Kong

Al1978

Was there last year for five days to renew China visa. The Queen Victoria in Lockhart Road wasn't to bad by Hong Kong standards but still not cheap. Seem to remember there was a Scottish pub across the road from it downstairs in one of the hotels.

Wan Chai on the whole was a lot cheaper than Lan Kwai although a lot seedier. Just watch out for homicidal British bankers in the clubs around Wan Chai. :wink2:

Was there last year for five days to renew China visa. The Queen Victoria in Lockhart Road wasn't to bad by Hong Kong standards but still not cheap. Seem to remember there was a Scottish pub across the road from it downstairs in one of the hotels.

Wan Chai on the whole was a lot cheaper than Lan Kwai although a lot seedier. Just watch out for homicidal British bankers in the clubs around Wan Chai. :wink2:

Aye, I was renewing my visa so it was wan chai bars I was trying today. Just found one that's only five quid for a Guinness. I'll have a look for that scottish one tomorrow. Cheers.

Happy hour is certainly your best bet. There is a very handy Happy hour finder on HK Magazine.com

I was in mongkok for the riot last month. :oops: What folk tended to late at night was get a tin from the 7 eleven and stoat about the streets having a wee dance.

NB:

The queen vicotria looked like the last place i would want to go for a pint. fuuuuuucking awful.

Excellent, cheers. Staying in mong kok actually. Protest still going strong. Got a carry out of skol lager. One of the five best beers in the world according to the tin.

Happy hour is certainly your best bet. There is a very handy Happy hour finder on HK Magazine.com

I was in mongkok for the riot last month. :oops: What folk tended to late at night was get a tin from the 7 eleven and stoat about the streets having a wee dance.

NB:

The queen vicotria looked like the last place i would want to go for a pint. fuuuuuucking awful.

just remembered .Get yourself down to Happy Valley on Wednesday night.

10p to get in and the cheapest (standard priced) pint I found.

• 9 months later...

Anyone with any decent tips for HK??

Visiting next week from Friday-Tuesday and staying in the Kowloon side. Really fancied going to the racing at Happy Valley but we seem to be just missing it on either side of the trip as it looks like it's on Wednesday nights.

Had a look at nightclubs and obviously most that are mentioned are high-end and on HK Island (such as Drop, Dragon-I and Beijing Club). They all seem to have somewhat mixed reviews as the high-end glitz isn't everyone's cup of tea I guess but can be good to see and experience as well although door-policy can be a pain.

Other than that, I guess going on the tram up to Victoria Peak is a must do as is catching the light display across the skyscrapers and harbour. Lots of food and markets to try on the Kowloon side in Tsim Sha Tsui. Also going to do a day trip over to Macau.

Anything I'm missing that would be considered as a must do?

Anyone with any decent tips for HK??

Visiting next week from Friday-Tuesday and staying in the Kowloon side. Really fancied going to the racing at Happy Valley but we seem to be just missing it on either side of the trip as it looks like it's on Wednesday nights.

Had a look at nightclubs and obviously most that are mentioned are high-end and on HK Island (such as Drop, Dragon-I and Beijing Club). They all seem to have somewhat mixed reviews as the high-end glitz isn't everyone's cup of tea I guess but can be good to see and experience as well although door-policy can be a pain.

Other than that, I guess going on the tram up to Victoria Peak is a must do as is catching the light display across the skyscrapers and harbour. Lots of food and markets to try on the Kowloon side in Tsim Sha Tsui. Also going to do a day trip over to Macau.

Anything I'm missing that would be considered as a must do?

I'd recommend you eat here - http://www.timhowan.com/ - cheapest Michelin Star restaurant in the world apparently. BBQ pork buns are something else. You could eat until you're stuffed for under a tenner. There are a few of them but I think the Mong Kok one is the original.

The Star Ferry costs next to nothing and the view from it is amazing. Take advantage of that. And if you're missing Scottish food you can get haggis in the Canny Man.

• 4 weeks later...

I'd recommend you eat here - http://www.timhowan.com/ - cheapest Michelin Star restaurant in the world apparently. BBQ pork buns are something else. You could eat until you're stuffed for under a tenner. There are a few of them but I think the Mong Kok one is the original.

The Star Ferry costs next to nothing and the view from it is amazing. Take advantage of that. And if you're missing Scottish food you can get haggis in the Canny Man.

Didn't manage the restaurant but went back on the Star Ferry on an evening just before the Symphony of Lights (which wisnae up to much) but the ferry was a nice wee trip!

If you go to Macau the one place to visit is a Portuguese restaurant at the southern tip called Fernandos. it doesn't look much from the outside but the food is superb especially the garlic prawns

Macau has little to offer imho opinion but I would go back just to go to the restaurant

We did pop across to Macau but mainly to do the bungee off of the tower so that consumed most of the time so didn't have any time for any eateries but cheers for the tip. We only had a quick whizz through the centre and a look at the Ruins of St. Paul and then a stop off at the Venetian for an hour. None of it blew me away by any means.

A night time drink in the Ozone bar is well worth it. Got a seat at the window, that view will live with me for the rest of my days.

Managed a very late drink at Ozone one night just before closing which was great but they had started to turn some of the lights back off on the skyscrapers across the bay on HK island so we could've probably done with being there earlier to maximise the view. Cheers! :)