Ireland Squad - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Ireland Squad

Stuart87

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't be too concerned. It's not easy to get into the England team - he'll be back.

It's done now...he won't be back ....even if he doesn't fulfill that potential and go on to win England caps .

After all the time it took him to choose which of his nationalities he wanted to represent. ....there would be uproar if decided to come back to ireland ...on both sides. ...Grealish knows that.

He has made his decision. ....a shame ...but good luck to the lad

Edited by Green_Tide_Rising

Ah its unfortunate.......the guy has done nothing in football yet but does have a lot of potential

Would have been nice if he had stuck with us (and tbh i thought he would) ......as unlike England .....we dont have a big pool of players to choose from

But sure what can you do.....despite his strong Irish roots .....he was born and raised in England......so ill give him the benefit of the doubt and put it down to that rather than the financial side of things been the reason he switched over to England from Us.

The International Change rule has benefited us in the past .... so we cant complain too much.

I read recently that he initially played GAA football in Birmingham so I was surprised that he chose England.

Let's hope he turns out to be the next Lee Hendrie.

I read recently that he initially played GAA football in Birmingham so I was surprised that he chose England.

Let's hope he turns out to be the next Lee Hendrie.

Yeah thats true. He was a big GAA player as a kid from ages 7 to 14

His GAA club......Warwickshire .....actually got to play a game in Croke Park Stadium (GAA Headquarters) in Dublin when he was 13 and Grealish was a part of the team and he actually scored for his team in that game.

TBH despite all the media speculation i always thought he would stay with Ireland...not really because of the GAA thing...but more because England had tried to poach him from us a couple of times at underage level, to which Jack declined their offers and stated he was happy and liked playing with Ireland

While im very dissappointed with his choice, i wish the lad well.....considering how Ireland have benefited from players switching allegiance...it would be idiotic to hold a grudge against him

Edited by Green_Tide_Rising

It sounds like his agent played a part in the decision. He's also Gareth Bales agent and tried his best to get Bale to switch to England, as he has an English grandmother. He told him about how many extra millions he would earn as an English international, while salivating about his own cut I suppose.

Most agents really are scum.

Good luck to Grealish, with three Irish grandparents he certainly has strong links, but not as strong as being born in England, with two English born parents.

People who are calling him nasty names on twitter, are pathetic.

It sounds like his agent played a part in the decision. He's also Gareth Bales agent and tried his best to get Bale to switch to England, as he has an English grandmother. He told him about how many extra millions he would earn as an English international, while salivating about his own cut I suppose.

Most agents really are scum.

Good luck to Grealish, with three Irish grandparents he certainly has strong links, but not as strong as being born in England, with two English born parents.

People who are calling him nasty names on twitter, are pathetic.

I'd be absolutely feckin livid if I was an Ireland fan after what Grealish has done. He took places in all those Ireland under age teams that many other young Irish players would have proud to have had.

Southampton duo Matt Targett and Sam Gallagher did the exact same to us. Played for us up until Under 19 level then fecked off to play for England. Bradden Inman and Cameron Burgess were the same but they chose Australia instead. Bloody useless timewasters.

If it were up-to me, every player would have to declare what nationality (can chose their own country of birth, parents country of birth or grandparents) they are at the age of 18 or 19 and that's that. No turning back, you've made your choice for life.

In saying that, though my Great-Granny was born in Ireland, I'm told that by the end of her life she considered herself to be as Scottish as Andy Stewart. I wonder what she'd make of it all :-))