I Salute You Craig Gordon - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

I Salute You Craig Gordon

kmcca5

Sadly faddy is done and if he was going to get two caps just to get him to the 50 it would have been dome a couple of years ago. He will go down in history anyway for his goal in France alone.

With missing the recent home games it's been years since I have seen Gordon in a Scotland jersey. I'd love it(Kevin Keegan style), love it, if I could watch him walk out at Lansdowne. :ok:

Edited by Ormond

With missing the recent home games it's been years since I have seen Gordon in a Scotland jersey. I'd love it(Kevin Keegan style), love it, if I could watch him walk out at Lansdowne. :ok:

Between Gordon and Marshall. Marshall has done nothing to suggest he would be dropped from his Scotland performances this campaign, so I would be suprised to see Gordon. But you never know.

Between Gordon and Marshall. Marshall has done nothing to suggest he would be dropped from his Scotland performances this campaign, so I would be suprised to see Gordon. But you never know.

I totally agree. Marshall has been superb. I'm just sentimental.

No room for sentiment unfortunately not in a meaningful match. Thats why faddy will never reach 50 caps.

IN GOrD WE TRUST :ok:

Agreed, no room for sentiment. The difference is Gordon is back to his best. You can't compare Faddy to that.

Strachan is loyal so expect Marshall to start against Ireland, until he makes a mistake Gotdon will have to wait. Still great to have him back.

Loved Faddy, still do but wouldn't want him to get another cap unless earned which looks very unlikely, Faddy wouldn't want that either

Agreed, no room for sentiment. The difference is Gordon is back to his best. You can't compare Faddy to that.

Agree, faddy has lost his pace. He can get by players but the defenders can catch up with him relatively easy now, compared to 2007 when he scored that wonder goal in Paris.

Keepers can play into their mid/ late 30s. Did John Burridge not play in the SPL with hibs at 40 ?

Davie Weir more recently was the oldest player for Scotland, again showing our weakness for quality centre halfs. Again he was a defender where you can arguably get away with losing a little pace if your defensive partner can compensate. Danny Wilson provided cover for Weirs lack of pace at rangers.

Edited by Robroysboy

Lack of pace in a central defender can somewhat be compensated if that player reads the game well and positions himself well - I think Weir had those attributes.

As for Faddy he was an oasis in an otherwise barren desert for long times for us in an attacking sense. He had that knack of producing that little bit of magic to create chances or score. Sadly, towards the end of his Scotland career he lost that edge but he'll always hold a fond part in fans hearts as he brightened up what often was dark times as a Scotland supporter. Shame he never reached the 50 cap barrier but c'est la vie as they say.

Keepers can play into their mid/ late 30s. Did John Burridge not play in the SPL with hibs at 40 ?

Off the top of my head, Jim Leighton, Dino Zoff and Pat Jennings all played in the World Cup at 40+.. Plenty of reason to think we'll have quality cover in goals for years to come.

Who knows? Maybe Gordon's got 4 or 5 tournament finals yet to appear in.

He'd be my pick for Dublin, but if there's one name in doubt that I'd really like to see in the starting 11 it's Darren Fletcher.

Edited by COLT NY