James Mclean Letter Re: The Poppy - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

James Mclean Letter Re: The Poppy

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Served in Londonderry before , during and after Bloody Sunday , 30 years in the Army , I do not wear a Poppy , I respect his view on the Poppy question , whether you wear one or not is entirerly up to yourself , I detest the " Americanisation " ( made up word ) of our Armed Forces as Heroes , we do a job that we are paid to do , as best we can under difficult circumstances

Absolutely respect his decision with reasons like that. Not that I think for one minute he should have had to explain himself.

Good on James McLean! :ok:

I can't disagree with any of that post. I feel the same way with Afghanistan and Iraq that he does about Bloody Sunday.

Completely disagree with his stance and don't pretend to understand his thoughts. He does however have every right to wear, or not wear, a poppy so fair enough. It's a sad state of affairs that he actually needs to publicly explain it though - it's a personal choice and shouldn't require explanation.

I think the poppy has been hi-jacked for political reasons in the bigger UK picture, and in Scottish football, so by proxy Northern Irish politics too.

At the same time, I'm not sure if I respect him for standing his ground because I question his motives, is it attention seeking/rabble rousing?

Edited to add: he shouldn't need to defend his decision regardless.

Edited by sbcmfc

Served in Londonderry before , during and after Bloody Sunday , 30 years in the Army , I do not wear a Poppy , I respect his view on the Poppy question , whether you wear one or not is entirerly up to yourself , I detest the " Americanisation " ( made up word ) of our Armed Forces as Heroes , we do a job that we are paid to do , as best we can under difficult circumstances

Well said. I wear a poppy but the circus act at ibrox etc is demeaning IMO.

Don't agree with him at all but his reasons are his own and they should be respected.

This mock offendedness over personal choices really does my nut in. We seen it in abundance during the referendum and we see it year after year regards the poppy. These are of course two very recent examples and I'm sure we could come up with dozens more.

The fact this is even news only serves to remind me what a pathetic society we have become at times.

If he doesn't want to wear a poppy, that's his perogative

I think though that he's got his reasons for not wearing one completely wrong though. He sounds like a terrorist loving cOck who has childish political leanings.

I thought we'd left people like him behind 20 years ago.

Hoopy will be pleased though, he's now got the reaction the thread was designed to get.... :ok:

The fact this is even news only serves to remind me what a pathetic society we have become at times.

It's not news.

It's only on here because Hoopy picked it up on a Celtic forum, and ran here with it trying to get a reaction.

I've got no idea as well why this non-entity (McLean, not Hoopy) has to tell the world his opinion on poppy day.

I think though that he's got his reasons for not wearing one completely wrong though. He sounds like a terrorist loving cOck who has childish political leanings.

That's what I was pussy footing around saying.

:lol:

It's not news.

It's only on here because Hoopy picked it up on a Celtic forum, and ran here with it trying to get a reaction.

I've got no idea as well why this non-entity (McLean, not Hoopy) has to tell the world his opinion on poppy day.

Just about every national newspaper is running the story m8.

They all lift it from a Tims forum I take it? :)

Hoopy will be pleased though, he's now got the reaction the thread was designed to get.... :ok:

It's been on news, in papers etc.

Mock outrage central.

Probably from the folk who had a salmond effigy right enough.

Rossy, as usual, misses the point completely and comes across as someone who has either pretended to read his reasons, doesn't care about other people's reasons, or is deliberately offensive.

It's a pity that Rossy's attitude wasn't left behind 20 years ago.

Your choice.

My granny refused a poppy as her words "how does a wee flower replace her two brother and two uncles that were lost in the war" and her thoughts on how some football clubs that are using this now as some sort of selling points to fill their grounds she would find disgusting.

It's remembrance Sunday, it's to remember the poor souls and their familys that were canon fodder and didn't have a clue why we want to remember, poor souls RIP.

I always wanted a white one. Now thanks to the internet, we can get them, but I mind growing up I couldn't find where the white ones were from.

Fair dues to McClean and I agree with pretty much 100% of what he or his solicitor wrote, but his Twitter from a few years back before he either deleted or didn't post further on it was very telling.

My granny refused a poppy as her words "how does a wee flower replace her two brother and two uncles that were lost in the war" and her thoughts on how some football clubs that are using this now as some sort of selling points to fill their grounds she would find disgusting.

It's remembrance Sunday, it's to remember the poor souls and their familys that were canon fodder and didn't have a clue why we want to remember, poor souls RIP.

some clubs have world war 1 on their list of trophies

First of all absolutely no-one should be forced to wear a poppy.

"Mr Whelan, for me to wear a poppy would be as much a gesture of disrespect for the innocent people who lost their lives in the Troubles –"
is he speaking for the 644 civilians killed by the IRA? and the 272 RUC men and women? Leaving aside the 656 British soldiers?

McLean's statement is nothing more than a confirmation of his political beliefs,,,,he even refuses to use 'northern Ireland' in his statement.

I've no idea why this non-entities political leanings deserve any 'respect', or the oxygen of publicity.

His team got thrashed again last night. Maybe he should concentrate more on that.