James Mclean Letter Re: The Poppy - Page 9 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

James Mclean Letter Re: The Poppy

I respect the guy for his actions.

I think it's underestimated just how big a set of baws it took not to wear the poppy. It says a lot about how principled he is that he was prepared to do that in order to stand by his beliefs and bring the British army's actions in Ireland into the public arena for discussion.

I also don't see that this recent incident is hypocritical because he earns a wage in England. There's nothing to say he doesn't love England and enjoys working and living with the English. This is the same pish that is thrown at Scottish nationalists. Just because he doesn't want to sing some horrible anthem about saving a monarchy he obviously doesn't agree with, he hates England? Total rubbish.

Fair play to him.

Close thread. Winner.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People seem to think standing for a national anthem is somehow an endorsement of what a country has ever done in its history. If I lived in Japan, I would respect their national anthem notwithstanding they did some pretty horrible things to British service men.

Most people at hampden respect the opponents national anthem - it's not an endorsement of anything that country has ever done. People respect the North Korea anthem ffs.

I don't think it's too much to ask for respect from someone of the anthem of the country they reside in and when it is played at a work event and you are in your capacity as employee you respect that. I don't think that's right wing it's just a little thing called manners. And I do think he is a hypocrite because he obviously feels very strongly anti British or English yet is willing to take the money but he can't stand straight for 30 seconds.

I show no respect to British national anthem for many reasons. I am a Republican, I don't want to ask God to save some rich woman born into heridtred wealth. Saving from what exactly? The verse might not now be sung but it originally sang about crushing Scots. I also feel very strongly anti British.

I also live and work in Britain. Am I a hypocrite?

I show no respect to British national anthem for many reasons. I am a Republican, I don't want to ask God to save some rich woman born into heridtred wealth. Saving from what exactly? The verse might not now be sung but it originally sang about crushing Scots. I also feel very strongly anti British.

Yes

No. Britain is forced upon you.

He's only Irish because England allowed him too ?

You are aware how stupid this is ? So say France can dictate to Germany who is German ?

Maybe you have been living under England far too long you have gone native

Ireland decides who qualifies who is entitled to Irish citizenship no one else

As for the GFA did nothing to alter Irish eligibility - red herring usually brought up by the ill informed or plain thick ( I haven't decided which you are)

He was eligible for citizenship before the GFA

the Irish lived under England for a hell of a lot longer than the Scots have. NB this post in no way signifies that I agree with what Debian posted; thankfully I have never agreed with a single word of his

Mclean could be said to be an attention seeking bawbag, but then so could thousands of the Tartan Army who, instead of just turning away, actually stand and boo another nation's national anthem

Mclean could be said to be an attention seeking bawbag, but then so could thousands of the Tartan Army who, instead of just turning away, actually stand and boo another nation's national anthem

Not that great a comparison. If the Scotland players were doing the booing however...

Would he have turned his back if it was a Scotland flag? The Saltire is as British as the England flag he turned his back on, or, was it the solely the anthem he was protesting about, in which case, no-one expected him to sing it in the first place so he could have just stood and faced the flag and done nothing.