James Mclean Letter Re: The Poppy - Page 3 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

James Mclean Letter Re: The Poppy

Additionally, employers may be prosecuted for failure to hire army reservists or hold their jobs open if those reservists volunteer for operational service (normally approx. 12 months incl pre-deployment training and post-operational tour leave).

Not quite right. Employers can be prosecuted for a failure to hire military reservists because they are reservists, just as they would be under discrimination laws if they refused to hire a pregnant woman or a gay man.

And it's not that employers will be prosecuted if they fail to hold a job open, it's that reservists now have the right to go to an employment tribunal if this happens, a right which wasn't there before.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just watching the rugby, and both Chris Paterson and Andy Nicol are wearing 'English' poppies....obviously supplied by the BBC when they turned up poppy-less.

No word from either of them yet if they support any banned terrorist organisations....

I'm the same, won't be watching any more Scotland rugby gemmes. Can't stomach it. As for poppies, wear them or don't wear them but don't have a go at me for not bothering my arse to wear one. I can't think of a conflict since ww2 that I've agreed with, mibbe the Falklands. Soldiers volunteer to be in the army (since ww2) if u get injured the government should look after you, not charities.

i support his right not to wear a poppy.

But just as people (including me), criticise the politicising of the poppy these days, then I reserve the right to criticise people who find a political reason not to wear one.

It's a symbol of remembrance for f*cks sake, it's not giving support to anyone involved in the Troubles 40 odd years ago.

McLean needs to grow up. Everyone knows his political views...I don't see why he 'deserves respect' for coming out with this rubbish.

Spot on. Is this the same James McClean that was wearing some sort of IRA badge on his Wigan training kit last season? If he doesn't want to wear a poppy then fair enough but why feel the need to write an open letter to Dave Whealen explaining the reasons why? He makes a huge issue out of it every year and it's becoming tiresome to be honest.

From a NI fan can you please spare him a boo next weekend along with McGeady and McCarthy!

I'm the same, won't be watching any more Scotland rugby gemmes. Can't stomach it. As for poppies, wear them or don't wear them but don't have a go at me for not bothering my arse to wear one. I can't think of a conflict since ww2 that I've agreed with, mibbe the Falklands. Soldiers volunteer to be in the army (since ww2) if u get injured the government should look after you, not charities.

National Service ended in 1963.

That's a fair point, did conscripts get sent to war zones? Are u sure it was 63 btw, my father was born in 41 and missed conscription because it was scrapped just before he would have been due to go on it?

Checked the date on Wiki but my dad could have been (born 1938) but opted to join the regulars.

I think the Malay emergency had a high proportion of National Servicemen but that is from memory.

He's made his position clear in the past, not sure why it's an issue again. Is he looking for attention about it or has someone within Wigan requested he write the letter?

Like others have said, wear one or don't, it's an individual's choice.

To be honest my gut reaction is dislike towards modern day soldiers, not personally but towards the profession, I know that's probably controversial and something I wouldn't show. Maybe if less people joined the army etc then governments wouldn't be able to enter into these conflicts with other countries?

I also appreciate the need to remember the world wars and the sacrifices people made but can't help but feel angry that while we do that each year, governments aren't learning from past mistakes but at the same time take part in the remembrance.

Edited by ParisInAKilt

Checked the date on Wiki but my dad could have been (born 1938) but opted to join the regulars.

I think the Malay emergency had a high proportion of National Servicemen but that is from memory.

You're right about the Malay emergency as a know a couple of NS who were involved. I think my dad was due to be shipped off to Suez too, before the withdrawal.

Spot on. Is this the same James McClean that was wearing some sort of IRA badge on his Wigan training kit last season? If he doesn't want to wear a poppy then fair enough but why feel the need to write an open letter to Dave Whealen explaining the reasons why? He makes a huge issue out of it every year and it's becoming tiresome to be honest.

From a NI fan can you please spare him a boo next weekend along with McGeady and McCarthy!

You support Rangers and NI :lol:

I bet you're a good guy :lol:

Really, I know plenty of hearts fans who are embarrassed by the way the McCraes battalion is now being seized upon by hearts to make them a "special" club.

What about the suggestion they are benefiting financially from this?

Really?

I've always thought that Hearts have went about Remembrance in a dignified and respectful way.

Really?

I've always thought that Hearts have went about Remembrance in a dignified and respectful way.

You are responding to someone who makes up that people are paedophiles. He's a scumbag.

Hearts are benefitting financially?

they are selling the poppy top at an extra £15 on top of the standard shirt price and not only are they donating the additional profit to poppy Scotland and other Hearts related Great War Centenary Projects. They are also doubling the figure raised.

They had sold 500 of these tops at the start of last week so it will be a decent slice of cash

Still Hertz are poppy thieves :-))