1973 Bbc Series - Scotch On The Rocks - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

1973 Bbc Series - Scotch On The Rocks

Does anyone remember watching this series when it aired for the only time in 1973 ?

Political thriller based on a book by Douglas Hurd (which I've not read). Going by it's Wikipedia page it sounds absolutely fücking nuts ! An armed rebellion for Scottish independence kicks off backed by the Soviets and organised crime.

My Dad vaguely remembers watching this and a particular scene with a schoolboy hiding a Bren gun underneath his bed. Seems the series caused a lot of controversy at the time. The SNP were understandably livid at being portrayed as a violent Moscow front, although considering the author was a Tory it's hardly surprising.

The BBC vowed never to show it again and lost all track of it in the archives until recently when they found three of the five episodes. Two are still missing.

Had a look on Youtube but there doesn't appear to be any footage on the internet.

21756959.JPG

_67999070_scotch2.jpg

Worth showing the surviving episodes on BBC Alba sometime surely ?

Thought of e-mailing BBC Scotland that if I paid a small fee, could I get the three surviving episodes on my own DVD. That was before a mate of mine who once worked over at the archive told me that whilst they did do private commissions of old shows on DVD, your looking at anything from £50-£200 an episode and a six month waiting period :(

21756959.JPG

_67999070_scotch2.jpg

Worth showing the surviving episodes on BBC Alba sometime surely ?

Thought of e-mailing BBC Scotland that if I paid a small fee, could I get the three surviving episodes on my own DVD. That was before a mate of mine who once worked over at the archive told me that whilst they did do private commissions of old shows on DVD, your looking at anything from £50-£200 an episode and a six month waiting period :(

Would be worth checking again depending on how long ago your mate worked there. Storage, digitisation, copying etc have all become much quicker and easier in recent years.

Aye might do. It was a couple of years ago he left but told me the fee is that high because various folk will do overtime to put it all together and it takes a few months as it's obviously non-priority.

I really want to see this, the program sounds crazy but with recent interest in the referendum it's surely worth a second showing on BBC 4 or Alba. Will have a wee look for Hurd's original book in second hand shops.

• 2 weeks later...

Aye might do. It was a couple of years ago he left but told me the fee is that high because various folk will do overtime to put it all together and it takes a few months as it's obviously non-priority.

I really want to see this, the program sounds crazy but with recent interest in the referendum it's surely worth a second showing on BBC 4 or Alba. Will have a wee look for Hurd's original book in second hand shops.

I found a hard back copy I bought on ebay so away to start reading it again.Found this on amazon today.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Scotch-Rocks-Lord-Douglas-Hurd/dp/0751530816

• 9 years later...