Tamb Running Thread - Page 14 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

?? You average 50+ miles?? Lol

Presumably for the year if he wants to do another 16 by end of year.

Been hitting December hard. 14th run of the month and up to 784 miles according to Runkeeper and hopefully will get to 800 by Hogmanay.

Anyone else have a love/hate relationship with running? Tonight I had a monster of a run, good time, enjoyable, wasn't breathing out of my behind and felt I could have gone for another hour. Yet the day before, managed 25 mins - laboured running and breathing, conditions were great too - no wind, yet ate reasonably well that day as I knew I'd be out later.

Hoping to do a few races next year. Still yet to figure out what distance to focus on - my average run seems to be 4.8 miles for the year, and not sure if I'm better at longer distance or 5-10km.

I bought a new pair of runners today, New Balance so looking forward to trying them out on Monday or Tuesday. I have a pair of Saucony £25 beasts which are pretty decent for me and wasn't sure if I should stick or twist with a new company.

Apologies, just rambling on, but happy running to all

A real love/hate relationship - not even from run to run but from 20 mins to 20 mins within the same run. I love it cause it keeps me fit and I love the feeling after a long run. Occasionally, and I mean very occasionally, I love it when I am running. But most of the time it is either tough going or a slog - sometimes my mind wanders, most times it doesn't. I'm pretty much a miserable solitary runner most of the times; I scowl at people running together.........But a few days without running and I miss it and feel irritable. Go figure.

As for trainers - I went through a phase of going over on my ankle and now I feel I can only wear Nike 3.0 or 5.0 as they are soft on the ankle but have a large tread and therefore I am more confident of not rolling my ankle. Maybe psychological but touch wood, have not done it since wearing them for past 8m or so.

Got a 14k park run tomorrow and am not looking forward to it. In fact can't sleep and here I amd on the tamb bitchin about it. But I'll feel great once I've done it. It's the opposite of a good drug........

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This.

If that feeling could be bottled there'd be no demand for alcohol or any other mood enhancing drugs..

I was looking back over my old run logs like a sad case and noticed that more often than not, I felt shyt after long (13 mile plus) runs.

On the other hand, that's four 5k runs in a row where I've felt fantastic afterwards. Especially as I'll probably now have a beer in front of the fire :)

Think I am built for lots of short lunchtime runs rather than one big weekend one...

Windy Parkrun yesterday, was a little miffed to be over 22' but looking at the results, most of the others had a few seconds more than they usually do, still finished 64th in a field of over 300, which is where I seem to be every week now, so the consistency is there. Looking forward to these next couple weeks though, Parkruns on 25th and 1st too :)

Had a decent training run today, 8 miles taking in bits of the three adjoining villages around my house, still a bit windy, but not cold. Only 4 weeks until my next proper race (Brass Monkey Half Marathon), so I'll have to keep getting the miles in.

Presumably for the year if he wants to do another 16 by end of year.

A real love/hate relationship - not even from run to run but from 20 mins to 20 mins within the same run. I love it cause it keeps me fit and I love the feeling after a long run. Occasionally, and I mean very occasionally, I love it when I am running. But most of the time it is either tough going or a slog - sometimes my mind wanders, most times it doesn't. I'm pretty much a miserable solitary runner most of the times; I scowl at people running together.........But a few days without running and I miss it and feel irritable. Go figure.

As for trainers - I went through a phase of going over on my ankle and now I feel I can only wear Nike 3.0 or 5.0 as they are soft on the ankle but have a large tread and therefore I am more confident of not rolling my ankle. Maybe psychological but touch wood, have not done it since wearing them for past 8m or so.

Got a 14k park run tomorrow and am not looking forward to it. In fact can't sleep and here I amd on the tamb bitchin about it. But I'll feel great once I've done it. It's the opposite of a good drug........

Hope it went well today!

Anyone any advice on running watches/bands like fitbit or similar? Mrs Bzzzz Christmas etc...

I`d definitely buy a watch powered with tom-tom technology instead of Garmin. Just bought a Nike+ one from John Lewis and it works much better than any garmin i`ve had. And the charger works.

The one I use is this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultrasport-NavRun-Heart-Computer-Chest/dp/B003XII6YS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1419237896&sr=8-1&keywords=ultrasport+gps+navrun+500it's good though not the most user-friendly, GPS seems to pick up nice and quick, and the battery lasts a good while.

Most of my mates who are runners use the Garmin Forerunner watches, which certainly look good, no experience with them myself though. If you have an Up and Running shop nearby at all, maybe check out their demo models if they have any, I know some of them host test-run events where they organise a run where you can try them out properly.

there are lots of wrist bands that claim to have heart rate monitoring but if you dig a bit deeper you need to wear one of those elasticated straps round your chest.

there are a couple coming on sale now that take your pulse from your wrist.

I've got a Garmin Forerunner. I'd give it 7/10.

All 3 marks lost as at times it can take forever to find signal.

The only thing I fault mine on is the charger/USB connection which is a nightmare to get the device to connect to. When you get a connection you then have to ever so slowly put it down or it loses the connection again.

I have sworn more times than I can remember at it.

The only thing I fault mine on is the charger/USB connection which is a nightmare to get the device to connect to. When you get a connection you then have to ever so slowly put it down or it loses the connection again.

I have sworn more times than I can remember at it.

Can honestly say that's never happened to me. Yet. When it now happens I'll be handing you the blame :angry:

@Bzzzzzzzz

Yeah, that's kinda the point it them.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-Forerunner-GPS-Running-Watch/dp/B00CXTEA1G/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1419274502&sr=8-3&keywords=garmin+forerunner+10

That's the one I've got and it's pretty good.

Same as deecie though it sometimes takes a while to get a location.

Can also be used with a heart rate monitor which I think I'll start using in the new year when doing training for the marathon.

What's the advantage of using a GPS watch over your phone with say MapMyRun?

Considering you can also play music with your phone (no need for a separate MP3 player), it seems like the best thing to use, no?

Finished the couch to 5k program a few weeks ago. Now using the 5kPlus podcasts.